The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: My Next Adventure in Ukraine!  (Read 155724 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: My Next Adventure in Ukraine!
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »
We finish our meal and ask for the bill, the waitress brings this and places it on the table then quickly scurries away, I look at the bill and really don’t take it in, ‘I’ takes it from me and says ’ohhh Chreez, this is not right’ I ask what is wrong and she says ’this is over £100.00 ($200) and is far too expensive’ she had already converted it into British currency for me, I replied, no it can’t be, for three salads and few glasses of wine ??? well it turns out it is correct and I pay it, ‘I’ tells me she is so sorry for it costing so much, but I tell her ok, but it was our first meal together, it was a special one and not to worry, she tells me but in my city that meal would only cost a few pounds, I reply, well we don’t ask the lady in the hotel anymore where to eat, she replies ‘no Chreeez, never again, I will tell her when we get back there’ I say don’t worry darling, these things happen, it won’t happen again. We both laugh and start our walk back to the hotel.

More coming soon...
Слава Україні

Offline bgreed

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »
Chris,
Gotta tell you that the way your relationship developed and they way your first meeting is going reminds me so much of the way that things went for Lena and me.  Better watch out things like this can end in marriage, it did for me :king: :king: :smokin:

Offline Chris

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2007, 07:57:16 AM »
Chris,
Gotta tell you that the way your relationship developed and they way your first meeting is going reminds me so much of the way that things went for Lena and me.  Better watch out things like this can end in marriage, it did for me :king: :king: :smokin:

;D thanks bgreed.....I am glad things worked out well for you. This my latest trip has been my best so far, so all I can say is watch this space   ;D
Слава Україні

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2007, 08:39:57 AM »
Chris

Very nice travel report and so vivid and enjoyable to read and follow.

To be honest reading through I was able to visualise where you were each minute of it and brought me back so many travelling memories from Ukraine.

Next time you go through KBP I would suggest you have a look at the last Immigration desk on the left which is for Airline staff and if it is empty go through there. Never had a problem going through that desk, when visited Ukraine doing that!

Sure UK/RUS taxi driver’s go to the same school and are really pain in the ass……but now I just walk straight ahead on them and they move……..when I do not reply or say Niet.

Following you around I think I have been to that Italian restaurant too…..and the service and prices…..no comments…… :(

Anyway I am taking the liberty and post a few photos to give a little more colour to your report….as you were rather busy.......and I was following you around with my camera  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can wait for the next post.

Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Chris

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2007, 08:48:44 AM »
Thanks Yannis for your comments, I have actually posted a lot of photos here in the Photos Gallery

The restaurant was the Dolche Restaurant, actually just up the road and round the corner from your picture, and the hotel Kreschatyk is where your marker says the restaurant is, just across the road from Independence Square.

Photos of Kiev

Photos of Chernivsti

Photos of Khotyn Fortress

Photos of Kamyanets Podliskuy Fortress

Kiev
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2007, 08:59:04 AM »
The next morning, we wake up early, neither of us could sleep, in the night I had been bitten by some pesky Ukrainian mosquito’s and started to come out in red blotches that itched like mad, funny they don’t bother me at home but these Ukrainian ones seem to have something a little extra in their artillery.  :sick0012:

We go down for breakfast and I ask ‘I’ what she would like to do today, she says first she will call the airport and ask about my luggage, good idea I thought, and she tells me she will get it back today, I do wonder how she is so sure about this but have learnt already not to question her when her mind is set on something :)

So she calls the airport and they say they have found my luggage but it is not with them yet, she has to call back in the afternoon. Time is logged and she makes a note to call them as requested.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »
So we decide we shall go for a walk and see some sights around Kiev, she asks me if I walk a lot at home, yes dear, to the car and back and that is as long as the car is parked not to far away, I see her eyes sparkle, and soon I realise why :) , I don’t have to wait long, she tells me ‘today darlink, we shall go for a short walk’ I agree, but little do I know her short walks are extremely looong walks for a car dominated Westerner ;) during our communications, I had sent her a list of places I wished to visit if we had time in Kiev, she had brought this list with her and had a route march planned to take in everything I asked for ;) so we spend the next few hours visiting the Chimera House, Independence Square, the City Parks and the Lavra (pictures here and a few below) we  visit the Lavra and she asks me if I want to join a party tour or go on our own, I say better on our own as I cannot understand what they say anyway, she tells me she will translate for me, I tell her no need dear, lets go on our own and see how things go. Inside the Lavra we get accosted by a lady who wants us to use her as a guide, I ask how much and ‘I’ tells me her price, after a bit of a scrum down a new price is agreed and I say why not, lets have the personal tour :) so off we go, with our new guide speaking in probably worse English than ‘I’ would have done, but no matter it gives ‘I’ a rest from speaking English all the time ;)

We spend a couple of hours at the Lavra seeing all the different buildings and museums and of course going underground into the catacombs, for anyone who hasn’t been it is a must see, to go back hundreds of years to see how the first monks loved their lives underground in caves is quite an experience.

We leave the Lavra and hail a taxi, it cost us 20 Grivnas to get from Kiev City centre but now the driver is asking for 55 Grivnas, ‘I’ is not having this and immediately gets on the phone and orders her own cab, they cannot come at this time, so we see another one down the road a little and she quickly goes into negotiation mode ;) OK so it cost us 30Grivnas but she saved 15 Grivnas about £1.50 ($3.00) and made her happy so I didn’t argue ;) She now tells me we are going back to the hotel after our short walk, short walk, jeepers I’d hate to see a long walk, by this time we had been walking maybe 3 or 4 hours with a few little rests for drinks etc these women can certainly walk :) we get back to the hotel and she immediately starts calling the airport, it seems they hope to have my case by about 5pm call back then.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2007, 09:08:56 AM »
About this time I receive a few SMS messages from a couple of English guys IO know who had already told me they would be in Kiev this weekend and  agreed to meet up with their girlfriends, we exchange messages and agree to meet the following day under the column inn Independence Square at 1pm.

5pm comes around and she calls them again, yes we now have it, you will come for it, I thought this was a bit unjust, maybe an hour and half round trip and probably $70 - $80 USD in cab fares when it was their fault. I had no need to worry, ‘I’ gets on the phone once again, and after a few heated exchanges they have now agreed to bring it to the hotel for me this evening. So we decide just to take it easy now and take our time in going for a meal and a few drinks.
We go out for a meal, but this time we decide best not to ask for any recommendations from Hotel staff and we visit a nice Georgian restaurant on Kreschatyk Street which is underground and set up in small cave or underground type tunnels, quite a nice place, nothing too fancy but the food was quite reasonable.

We have a short walk back to the Hotel and during our walk ‘I’ gets on the phone again  to ask why the airport have not called us, they say the case is on its way and will be there in 10 minutes!  2 hours later the case is still not with us, then we get a call from the hotel lobby to say there is a package in reception for me, I had just gone to bed, so I get up and go downstairs, ‘I’ asks me if she should come too to help me talk to him, I say no dear it is OK I will sort this one out. I meet up with a driver in the lobby and after checking, double checking and triple checking my paperwork, passport, drivers licence, medical card and inside leg measurement :) he finally hands over the luggage. ;)

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2007, 09:10:41 AM »
The next morning Sunday, we have a late start and go down for breakfast, I am happy because I have some clean clothes now and after checking my case I find that all her families presents are still there, nothing missing, great!.......well ‘I’ has another little jaunt planned for me this morning, but this time the walk is not so loooong and she will even allow me to take a bus if necessary :) I tell her I am ok to walk again, so we go to visit the Cathedral of St Sophia  we spend an hour or so looking around the place, for those who don’t know it is acknowledged to be the oldest Cathedral in Europe dating back well over 800 years.

We leave St Sophia’s and hop on a bus a few stops down the main road and after a short walk (I mean a short walk :) ) we arrive at St Vladmirs Cathedral where a Sunday morning service is taking place, this is quite interesting, but it is very busy as you can imagine. We don’t stay too long as it is nearly time to met up with my friends from the UK, so we head off back to Independence Square this time by taxi  ;D

More soon….
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2007, 09:42:51 AM »
We arrive in Independence Square and I see ‘J and S’ coming towards me, I introduce ‘I’ to them and them to her and wait to meet with ‘G’ and his lady to arrive. After about 10 minutes I send ‘G’ a sms and ask if he can make it, we  were not sure as he was in the middle of lots of paperwork etc for his ladies visa application, no reply so we decide to go for a bite of lunch and a drink and walk up the hill to a pizza restaurant that is close by and we sit in a window that over looks the whole of Independence Square, I send another sms to ‘G’ just in case and he replies to say he will meet us there soon. The ladies seem to get on fine considering they have never met before and start chatting in Russian while myself and ‘J’ talk about the problems he had been having with his third visa application for ‘S’. We order a meal each and some drinks and settle down for a nice afternoon and in good company. Part way through the meal ‘G’ and his lady arrive and apologise for being so late and tell us they cannot stay as they need to get back to finish off their visa planning. We all have a chat and eventually ‘G’ has to go.

Myself, ‘I’ and ‘J&S’ stay for a while longer and eventually we say our goodbye’s, both couples set off in different directions, ‘I’ wants to look for a present for her daughter so we visit the underground shopping mall just on Independance Square, this is a three storey building, part underground part above ground. We just spend some time moseying around but she says the prices are far to expensive compared to her city, we shall try somewhere else instead. We decide to go back to the hotel for a little rest and relaxation. Later that evening we go out for a meal at our favourite restaurant again and then prepare our bags and cases for our flight the next day to Chernivsti.

The next day we go and have breakfast then a little shopping at nearby shops, and just take our time window shopping and taking in the scenery, we had hoped we could meet up with ‘I’ sister today as she was coming to Kiev on business, but with her arriving late morning and us having to leave around lunchtime, it just wouldn’t work, so we decide to make our way to the airport and ‘I’ calls our driver to come and collect us again.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2007, 10:22:07 AM »
We arrive at Boryspol Airport and go through the usual check in procedures, we have about an hours wait, we takes some seats, next to us is a Pilot in all his regalia, drinking a large glass of Stella Artois,  :prophead: I am thinking I hope he is not our pilot, luckily he gets up and boards a plane to Donetsk, I still don’t know if he was actually flying it or just a passenger, but if he was just a passenger he was a little overdressed :) It is now our time to get the shuttle bus and this takes us out to a moth eaten plane sitting on the tarmac, I have been on these types of planes before, and I am prepared for it, the elastic bands driving the props are tightened, the loft ladder style access stairs are raised and the internal caravan doors are slammed shut and we are ready for take off ;)

We taxi down the runway, and with a large groan and an unnerving amount of vibration the plane just about leaves the ground, fighting the effects of gravity is definitely a task this old bird is struggling at. Our flight tickets say we should take 1hr 50 minutes, our captain says it will take 1hr 30minutes,  ‘I’ asks me why this is, I tell her it depends in which way the wind is blowing, she laughs and tells me ‘darling that is probably right, coming back will be much quicker for you if the wind is blowing in the right direction’ we both have a good laugh.  :laugh:

About an hour and 40 minutes later we circle Chernivsti International Airport, blimey, there is nothing that looks International about this place, it reminds me a bit of Karkhov International Airport, a Governmental type looking building with dilapidated runways and no other planes in sight, I say to ‘I’ there is not much happening here dear and she replies ‘no we only have one flight a day and only one plane’ then just as we get nearer we see amazingly a second plane, ‘I’ is delighted at that and tells me so ’darlink we have two planes now’ we land without too much trouble, the odd bounce here and there along the runway but I have had worse ;) the plane comes to a halt and we are al told to depart, we are not allowed to leave the perimeter of the plane and have to line up like a party of school children until she tells us we can march on to the terminal building. All of a sudden the flight stewardess says proshu and walks towards an old gate in a fence at the side of the terminal building, we then are told to stop and wait for our baggage, I turn round and see the most unusual airport transport I have ever seen,  ???  ::)  the baggage truck pulls up behind us and we all take off our bags.

Pictures of the Terminal Building and new fangled Baggage Truck  :happy0023:
Слава Україні

Offline Wiz

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »
What is wrong with the Antonov's?

It maybe using Elastic bands but it still flies  and is a safe aircraft... because it has it's wings at the top and can clide if somrthing goes wrong...  :'(

I see from day one she is calling you "Darling".... that is a very rapid progress..... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Chris

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
What is wrong with the Antonov's?

It maybe using Elastic bands but it still flies  and is a safe aircraft... because it has it's wings at the top and can clide if somrthing goes wrong...  :'(
Well I have been up in a glider a few times, but never one that heavy  :saint: I prefer not to have to rely on its gliding capabalities  :o

Quote from: Wiz
I see from day one she is calling you "Darling".... that is a very rapid progress..... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Actually she was calling me that long before we met  :-X

Слава Україні

Offline Manny

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »
I am loving this, please continue! (Since I bullied you into it!)

As Wiz said, I find so much in here that reminds me of my first trip to Russia, the way Olya got my lost bags delivered to her flat (after some shouting on the phone) yet they told me I must collect them from the airport 30/40 miles away, the Taxi drivers, we who have been, all know I think, and much of it, it strikes "home" with me.

Its nice to read about (what I feel) to be a proper genuine lady helping you and watching you guys getting closer as we read the tale.

I would need to go back several pages to quote what I see as "right" and "familiar" that you know anyway, but I see green flags all the way here. I hope we will be meeting this lady quite soon in England! She sounds like a keeper!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2007, 04:58:02 PM »

As Wiz said, I find so much in here that reminds me of my first trip to Russia, the way Olya got my lost bags delivered to her flat (after some shouting on the phone) yet they told me I must collect them from the airport 30/40 miles away, the Taxi drivers, we who have been, all know I think, and much of it, it strikes "home" with me.

Its nice to read about (what I feel) to be a proper genuine lady helping you and watching you guys getting closer as we read the tale.

I would need to go back several pages to quote what I see as "right" and "familiar" that you know anyway, but I see green flags all the way here. I hope we will be meeting this lady quite soon in England! She sounds like a keeper!

Are you inviting yourself to the wedding bells??  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The way Chris is writing now we know what the end will be........... :party0011: :party0031:

Offline Manny

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2007, 05:04:28 PM »
We know he is marrying her don't we?  :laugh: I hope in England, so we can go!  ;D

I like a wedding! Especially one where Wifey can speak Russian!  ;D

Chris is less than an hour away from us!  :-X

Chris is a proper nice guy, even Wifey likes him! (and that says something!)
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »
We know he is marrying her don't we?  :laugh: I hope in England, so we can go!  ;D

I like a wedding! Especially one where wifey can speak Russian!  ;D

She is not Russian, she is from the Nationalistic West Ukraine so I bet she speaks Ukrainian.......and English only....Chris of course speaks Russian.....so you wil be able to communicate with him.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh for me is very far away.........5-6 hours.... :( :( :(

Offline Chris

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2007, 02:46:45 AM »

Well where do I start, ok yes Stuart you bullied me into writing it, but actually I am glad you did, it is bringing back great memories even though they were only a few weeks ago.

Like you I have made many trips over to the FSU, but none have been as good as this one, everything was just perfect, I couldn't have wished for anything better and maybe later on in the story if I tell it, I have something to tell that made me cry, yes and before anyone says it for me, I am big enough and ugly enough to admit it.  :laugh:

She is certainly a keeper alright and my December/January trip will  am sure confirm things. Keep reading there is a lot more to come yet  :)
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2007, 02:49:07 AM »
Are you inviting yourself to the wedding bells??  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The way Chris is writing now we know what the end will be........... :party0011: :party0031:

How can you be so sure Wizzy!  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2007, 02:53:52 AM »
She is not Russian, she is from the Nationalistic West Ukraine so I bet she speaks Ukrainian.......and English only....Chris of course speaks Russian.....so you wil be able to communicate with him.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh for me is very far away.........5-6 hours.... :( :( :(

She speaks Russian, Ukrainian and English fluently, but yes it is Ukrainian she speaks most of the time as she is from Western Ukraine and I could tell you some stories about why that is and why her mother is and became a staunch Ukrainian and only speaks Ukrainian, but it is too personal and very emotional for my lady if she happens to read this, so lets not go there.

However, I started to lean a little Ukrainian before I went, although the most used phrase you may think would be Dozhe Dyakuyu, but actually turned out to be Ya lublue tebe   ;) ;) nod nod wink wink  from both of us.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2007, 02:56:22 AM »

I like a wedding! Especially one where Wifey can speak Russian!  ;D
No comment  :)

Quote from: Manchester
Far enough to keep out of your way  :laugh:

Quote from: Manchester
Chris is a proper nice guy, even Wifey likes him! (and that says something!)
Of course I am and I can assure you the feelings are mutual between myself and Olya  ;)
and oh go on then you big bully, I love you too  ::)

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2007, 03:02:34 AM »
Outside there are a few taxis ‘I’ goes over to the first one and asks how much, he tells her 55 Grivnas, she laughs and walks off, telling him she is from this city and not a foreigner, the taxi driver takes the hump and gets in his car and drives of :) she tells me she will get it us a cab for around 20 Grivnas, I just stand in the middle of the road with the bags and let her go to work ;)  she waves me over, 18 Grivnas was agreed, little does he know he has just been done, she wants him to call at a number of stops on the way into the city :) we get in the taxi and call the apartment owner, after quite a long conversation she tells me it is bad news, the owner had been calling her for the last few days and could not get her, apparently the apartment she had taken all the trouble of booking was without water for 4 days, but the owner says she has booked us into a hotel instead.

Well I was not too happy about this but hey, it’s Ukraine, its normal :) then ‘I’ astounds me, she says she has a plan, she instructs the taxi driver to go to another destination, she wants to look at another hotel inn the city she knows, she gets out of the car and goes into to inspect the facilities, but it is no good as they only have a few nights free, so She comes back to the car and asks him to go set off again, I ask her are we going to the hotel the apartment owner booked now, she replies ’no dear, somewhere else’ well I don’t argue, afterall I have no idea where we are anyway :) we pull up at another hotel, she gets out and goes in again, bad news again they are full, but, they have another place nearer the city centre, so we are off to there now, the poor taxi driver has been royally shafted, but he is a nice guy and puts up with it, we arrive a few minutes later and she goes into the reception, just as she opens the door she bumps into a friend coming the other way ;) oh dear, she didn’t want everyone to know she was back in her city otherwise work would start to call her and want her to do things for them, anyway after a quick chat she goes inside and asks what the rates are and can we have a look at the apartment.

It turns out this is a great place and about the same price as the one we should have had anyway, but actually a bit nearer the city centre, so all in all a good result. Another bonus point for ‘I’ as she had the foresight to not take whats was being offered and decided to do a little market research at the expense of the poor taxi driver :) I paid the taxi man and off he went relatively happy, I then  paid for the apartment and we went to settle in, with my cases this time ;)

====
This is the Hotel 'I' found through shear persistence ;), but in actual fact it is all split up into separate self contained apartments, ours is just across the courtyard which was great as we were on our own away from  the main building.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2007, 03:04:59 AM »
As soon as we had settled in it happened, 'I's' mobile started to ring, yes the lady she had bumped into in the hotel lobby had got on the blower to her friends and they wanted to know what she was doing back at home. Of course she was prepared and after a short conversation that was the last we heard from them, although later I was to be told she had been spotted out and about in her city with me :) and the questions would start not that she didn’t want people to know about us,  she was happy for family to know about me but wanted to keep her work colleagues out of her private life.

Following a quick shower and change we decide to go out for a meal and we take a 10 minute walk through the city centre to a nice German restaurant, it specialises in a number of nationalities meals along with typical Ukrainian fare. This is a nice place and we have a wonderful romantic meal with some nice wine. Then it is back to the apartment for a good rest.  ;)

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2007, 03:06:16 AM »
The next day our first full day in Chernivsti, she once again has a full day planned for us, more short walks  :) first we set off for the University where her father is a senior lecturer, this is a very old and unique and very unusual collection of buildings.  First of all we visit the University Church where she shows me where her father worked many years earlier during soviet times when all the churches and cathedrals were closed and abandoned he father brought into the Ukraine one of the first computers and this was installed in the church, it actually helped that it was sited there because it meant the soviets left the church alone and so it was left undamaged. The funny thing about it was that the altar area where usually only priests are allowed to go was actually where the computer was housed and her father spent 15 years working in that building programming the computers and writing programmes for the many soviet projects and space programmes that were running at the time.  This was very interesting for both of us, as we were the only ones in there a lady approached us and asked what we wanted, ‘I’ told her I was from England and was interested in the church and the University, she said she would show us round, seconds later music started playing in the church and it all came to life :) she had taped choral music and the sound really made the atmosphere of the place. She explained  in Russian all about the history of the place ‘I’ translated it all for me. The lady was amazed to hear ‘I’ used to play in this church as a child while her father worked on his computer programming.

We left the church and went out side into the University grounds and the lady continued to tell me all about the unusual buildings with their very unique tiled roofs,  She lead us into the main building and proceeded to tell us all about the history of the place and had with her a big bunch of keys and was opening doors all over the place so we could look into the rooms. I have no idea if this was an official tour or not, but I was not complaining. We spent a good couple of hours in this place and it was a great way to start my time in Chernivsti.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2007, 03:10:01 AM »
Chernivsti University Church
Слава Україні

Registration