The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Vkontakte?  (Read 10223 times)

Offline harleyrider6971

Vkontakte?
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
Hey guys, I was wanting to join vkontakte.ru, but need an invite. Can somebody send me an invite. Thanks

Offline MishaMoose

• Spouses Country: Ukriane
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: Vkontakte?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
VK requires invites now? When did they start that?

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

Yep, invitation needed is right on the home page:
Стать пользователем ВКонтакте можно по приглашению одного из участников.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 03:03:22 AM »
Hey guys, I was wanting to join vkontakte.ru, but need an invite. Can somebody send me an invite. Thanks

Hi, whilst I'm a member I'm afraid I'm not in the habit of inviting folk I don't ( personally ) know .. esp. if they 're surely going to use it to hit on female members who might not be on there looking for dates !

Respectfully suggest you try to use a proper dating site.. say, dating.ru

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline harleyrider6971

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:21:07 AM »
Wasn't going to use it  that way, was just looking to make some friends. If I met somebody, what's wrong with that. People meet each other on facebook all the time, what is the difference. None

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:26:50 AM »
If you are "virtually social" - I'm surprised you haven't hooked up with someone from the FSU who would grant your request..

You had my reasoning, and now you've even backed it up ...  I know ladies using vkontakte who DO NOT want single guys trying to be 'friends'....  Wifey hardly EVER goes to vkontakte, now, and she ( and her sister and some workmates) had to make her profile on 'schoolmates' temporarily 'hidden'  as total strangers wanted to 'chat'.. 

Offline MishaMoose

• Spouses Country: Ukriane
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »

Yep, invitation needed is right on the home page:
Стать пользователем ВКонтакте можно по приглашению одного из участников.

tiphat Thank you sir!

This is a fairly recent change?  When I joined, in early 2009, no invitation was required.

Offline harleyrider6971

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:36:35 AM »
I got somebody from another forum that will give me an invite, so no big deal. It's not like I am going to be a pushy person. Just looking to make friends, maybe chat with some people. With 100 million people on there, I am sure there will be some people that will want to chat, just my thoughts.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »
So, being pushy without wanting to be pushy .... just my thoughts.

Offline kievstar

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
More and more women are closing their profiles on the site to people they know.  On Russian TV recently (Direct TV Russian channels) they talked about all the creepy foreign men and RM invading Russian social sites and they also talked about RM setting people up to be robbed.

If you do meet a RW and end of visiting her make sure it is really a RW and not a group looking to rob you.  Glad I never had to deal with free personals or Russian social sites to find a wife. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »
Harley,

on reflection -  I came across a a bit abrupt... sorry..   I hope the musings of other members will help you understand ..vkontakte is ( IMHO) NOT a place to be hoping to find a wife through chatting ... and you may simply annoy ladies when you are just trying to be friendly.

I didn't put it well... my bad.

Offline harleyrider6971

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Thats ok moby, just wanted to be frendly, I have been to alot of places, met alot of good people, for some I am the first American they meet, once they get to know me as a person, I can change their outlook on what they read in the news ,  just by being a friend. When I do get to go to Russia or Ukraine, first and formost I want a wife, but I am looking for a best friend. Just thought maybe VK might be a good place.

Offline ChrisE

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 02:05:49 AM »
ok, VK now has a system of joining by imputting your phone number and they send an SMS message with a login and password for your account. I did this, and have my account set up.

I recieved an message from a crappy pay site from a lady who sent me her private VK link, but I don't know how to make contact or send a message there. Is there some snafu or maybe a waiting period before I can send messages? Or am I missing something? I don't want to pay a bogus site a small fortune to contact one person.

Offline BeachBum

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
I think it is a good site to use after you have made a connection with a woman somewhere else.  I think randomly finding women there and just trying to friend them when they don't know you or have no prior communication is a bit intrusive and probably seems creepy to them.  It would to me.  However, if you meet a woman on a dating site and then find them on Vkontakte and ask nicely to continue the relationship there, then I think that's reasonable.  I've done it, some say yes, some say no, and some never respond to my first letter sent on Vkontakte.  If they say no or don't respond, then I leave them alone and never bother them again on Vkontakte or the dating site.  If they continue to try to chat or write letters on the dating site, I try to be as nice as I can in telling them I no longer use the dating site to communicate with people I've developed relationships with.  There have been several who have responded by saying they have never sent me letters or communicated with me on the dating site.  I apologize, tell them someone may be misrepresenting them on the dating site and don't communicate with them on either site anymore.  However, in one case the lady told me she never communicated with me on the dating site , but has since checked out my profile on the dating site, thought I was a gentleman in the way I communicated with her on Vkontakte,   and would be happy to continue to communicate on Vkontakte or Facebook.  We are now friends.  One additional thing about Vkontakte is you can hide your friends.  I do this and tell my friends there how to do it to.  This way should the dating site look me or them up on Vkontakte, they would not be able to tell who I was communicating with from their site and subsequently not take action against them on the dating site.
If you do use Vkontakte, my recommendations are, only communicate with someone you think you have a relationship with on the dating site, use an introduction letter telling them that you have communicated with them on the dating site, be a gentleman, don’t stalk anyone, handle rejection in a very gentlemanly manner, and don’t continue to bother anyone past the first letter if they don’t respond or respond negatively.
Also, be prepared to handle mostly rejections.  My rate is 17% for becoming friends on Vkontakte for women I met on the dating sites.  But for those, I think we have become far better friends than we would have on the dating site.

Offline BeachBum

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention.  If the lady you contact doesn't speak English, translate.google is a decent tool to use to translate your notes to her prior to sending.  It's not perfect, but they use it too and they almost always get the meaning of what you are saying.  I tell her just to communicate in Russian as I have access to several on-line translators which help clarify if I'm not sure what they are saying.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 12:26:08 AM »
Good information BeachBum although if you don’t mind me saying, your ‘17% calculation’ suggests you have made a lot of ‘friends’ on dating sites yet have not met any face 2 face yet. Maybe an idea would be to concentrate on fewer ladies and get on a plane? :thumbsup:

Offline BeachBum

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 03:35:05 AM »
Good information BeachBum although if you don’t mind me saying, your ‘17% calculation’ suggests you have made a lot of ‘friends’ on dating sites yet have not met any face 2 face yet. Maybe an idea would be to concentrate on fewer ladies and get on a plane? :thumbsup:

Maybe so.  I just started looking at these sites last May and wasn't ready to jump in with both feet and make a trip yet this past summer.  I wanted to develop a bit more of a relationship through letters, chat, and possibly Skype before making a trip and was thinking next summer would be a good timeframe.  I'm not a big fan of Eastern Europe in the winter time, been there, done that, and froze my tail off.  I personally didn't think a letter or two and a few chats with 18 women was excessive over the last six months to work it down to the three women I'm now friends with on Vkontakte, but to each his own.  I have Skyped with one recently since she speaks good English.  I'm pretty new to this, but was thinking having 3-5 good relationships before making a trip might be a good number.  I think it's manageable.  I still look at the dating sites, but would not get more than two more Vkontakte friends before thinking that's enough.  So based on my history, that might take meeting about 12 more women on dating sites max. I personally think I am focusing on a small number of women at 3-5.  I use Vkontakte to confirm legitimacy and sincerity and then don't spend a lot of time and money on insincerity.   If you think about it, two letters each way on a pay per letter site is $20-$30, that's a cheap first date in the US and you may have learned more about each other, if those letters were long, than you would on a first date.  After those first four letters, a jump to Vkontakte is reasonable in my opinion.  Prior to any letters though, you might want to check Vkontakte to see if they are there.  I've found 80-90% of them easily.

Registration