The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Uzbek dishes are fantastic!!  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Disciple

• Oiseau de proie
Re: Uzbek dishes are fantastic!!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
This looks like a great recipe. From looking at these pictures, I can tell that FSU food is amazing.
Por la espada vive.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 02:20:18 PM »
Quality of rice is very important in this dish and to get more authentic taste choose rice from middle eastern cuisine section (example Indian) in supermarket or speciality store. Salaam (saleem) Basmati or Jasmine Basmati rice would be good for plov.

My wife uses Basmati rice in hers, and we (which means me butting in) are experimenting with adding a few Indian spices to beef it up a bit too.

We also use a ton of garlic. I now buy catering size jars of garlic purée for stuff I cook, but she prefers to strip and peel them one by one. I often throw an extra tablespoonful of my purée in when she's not watching.  :-X

A bit of Worcester Sauce seems to work well if using lamb too.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
Great quote from EnglishRussia:

"Uzbek cuisine is like mathematics, it is endless for learning and it doesn’t fit into any books."
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
More Uzbek dishes
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
So far this thread has covered only plov. I came across an article about 16 Uzbek dishes.  Here are some of them:

16 Delicious Uzbek Dishes You Need To Try Immediately

Lagman Soup

Something of a Central Asian version of ramen, this is a spicy, meaty broth filled with chunks of lamb, handspun noodles, and vegetables. It also comes in a non-soup version.

Eggplant Salad (Bademjan)

Chuchvara Soup

A soup in which small dumplings are boiled in salt water or bouillon and served with sour milk (“suzma”) and seasoned with pepper, onion, tomato paste, black pepper, and sour cream.

Manty

Steamed dumplings sprinkled with dill and served with sour cream. Meat, spices, or vegetables can make up the stuffing, so you never know what you’re going to get!

Naryn

An oriental merchant favorite, the dish is composed of hand-spun noodles and boiled jerk meat, served with minced onions and black pepper. Traditionally, it is made with horse-meat.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dianabruk/delicious-uzbek-dishes-you-need-to-try-immediately

I remember seeing photos of a few of these dishes on Bill's TR from Georgia, "Georgia Peaches".

The article has excellent photos of each dish but no recipes.  You can find the recipes at this blog by Malika Sharipova:

http://uzbekcooking.blogspot.com/

Registration