The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Two Trips to UA and Going Back Again  (Read 3363 times)

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Two Trips to UA and Going Back Again
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »
Chris, its refreshing to have someone like you come through our door once in a while rather than the scam hunters  (:) socially challenged and simpletons that we seem to aquire all too regularly,  (:)  keep coming back  tiphat

Thank you Chris! :)

Some people go out to dinner just knowing it's going to be a terrible evening. And they're usually right. I go out every day knowing that anything and everything can go wrong--but i hope and feel it will be wonderful. And I'm usually right.

And for anyone who thinks I look at the world through rose colored lenses, remember that I now live in Ukraine where I regularly travel from Donetsk to Gorlovka in cars with drivers I do not know, riding with passengers who like me have all paid our 20 odd grivnas to get a ride to the next city. And every day I ride in buses that are overloaded, beyond capacity and perhaps 10 or more years beyond their service life! :) It's cool to trust life.

And I'll really open up now. I was married to my best friend in 1989. Nine years later, at her age of 30, I lost her to our two year battle with her breast cancer. Less than one year later I was in a motorcycle accident, punctured a lung, broke many bones, and worst of all I had three vertebrates blown out (T3, T4 and T5), and my spinal cord was almost severed. I lay in ICU with a traumatic head injury (my helmet saved my life), and I was in diapers and needed a catheter to pee. The doctors did outrageous surgeries and told me I was now a T4 paraplegic and I'd never move my body again below my chest. Off to rehab at Northridge Hospital Medical Center and time to learn how to live life in my wheelchair. I wheeled up to the rooftop many nights seeking the courage to throw myself off of the seven story building. One day my foot twitched--BUT I FELT my foot twitch this time. I worked and finally could move that leg. I worked and I could walk with a walker and two people holding me, then a walker, then crutches, then a cane for 12 years. Today I cannot run, but I have walked without a cane for almost two years (thanks to aggressive gym work!)...and OMG it's hard as hell to walk on UA streets!!!!! But Olga is at my side, and while it looks like we're holding hands, now you know that she's often balancing me :) [see us waling down the steps at Vornonsov Palace, Alupka, Crimea--my Miss Ukraine is balancing me in more ways than one :)]

If I can come and live in Ukraine, stumble along streets and marry this amazing Miss Ukraine--anyone can do this! :)

Welcome to the forum 'another' and congrats to you and your intended on your impending nuptials. It's nice to hear from someone else on the forum who is treading a 'different path' from the what others will preach as 'the only way to......'; or what they consider to be the 'norm'.

As Stuart said above usually the successful folks are the 'self starters' and those who can make their own way independently.  I wish you luck in the future and hope you'll also share some insights in the 'expat' part of the forum as well with your experiences and musings on living in Ukraine.

Remember as always there's an element to folks in this endeavor where there is so much more than meets the eye.

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
Chris, its refreshing to have someone like you come through our door once in a while rather than the scam hunters  (:) socially challenged and simpletons that we seem to aquire all too regularly,  (:)  keep coming back  tiphat

Thank you Chris! :)

Some people go out to dinner just knowing it's going to be a terrible evening. And they're usually right. I go out every day knowing that anything and everything can go wrong--but i hope and feel it will be wonderful. And I'm usually right.

And for anyone who thinks I look at the world through rose colored lenses, remember that I now live in Ukraine where I regularly travel from Donetsk to Gorlovka in cars with drivers I do not know, riding with passengers who like me have all paid our 20 odd grivnas to get a ride to the next city. And every day I ride in buses that are overloaded, beyond capacity and perhaps 10 or more years beyond their service life! :) It's cool to trust life.

And I'll really open up now. I was married to my best friend in 1989. Nine years later, at her age of 30, I lost her to our two year battle with her breast cancer. Less than one year later I was in a motorcycle accident, punctured a lung, broke many bones, and worst of all I had three vertebrates blown out (T3, T4 and T5), and my spinal cord was almost severed. I lay in ICU with a traumatic head injury (my helmet saved my life), and I was in diapers and needed a catheter to pee. The doctors did outrageous surgeries and told me I was now a T4 paraplegic and I'd never move my body again below my chest. Off to rehab at Northridge Hospital Medical Center and time to learn how to live life in my wheelchair. I wheeled up to the rooftop many nights seeking the courage to throw myself off of the seven story building. One day my foot twitched--BUT I FELT my foot twitch this time. I worked and finally could move that leg. I worked and I could walk with a walker and two people holding me, then a walker, then crutches, then a cane for 12 years. Today I cannot run, but I have walked without a cane for almost two years (thanks to aggressive gym work!)...and OMG it's hard as hell to walk on UA streets!!!!! But Olga is at my side, and while it looks like we're holding hands, now you know that she's often balancing me :) [see us waling down the steps at Vornonsov Palace, Alupka, Crimea--my Miss Ukraine is balancing me in more ways than one :)]

If I can come and live in Ukraine, stumble along streets and marry this amazing Miss Ukraine--anyone can do this! :)

You have been severely tested in the many battles you have fought and have come out the other side looking ahead to a happy future. I am sure you are an inspiration to many people in many ways. I hope you and your intended find happiness in abundence and with such a positive outlook on life, I am sure you will.

Поздравляю тебя

DS
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato.
Wiz loves talking out of his A******e - Me.

Offline Jinny

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »

9. Be a gentleman, and be a real man. Be confident, not arrogant, never crude, and never indecisive. 

10. GO TO THE GYM EVERY DAY!  ... Why would a lady, who knows she's attractive, desire a man who can't see his belt buckle? And if you've seen those young UA guys--just get your ass into the gym!

12. Be honest.

13. Dress to kill--masculine, and European style! HIGH quality, killer, slip-on dress shoes; nice belt and a good looking watch;

14. March 8th! :)

:thumbsup:   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Jinny

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
Christopher,

I sincerely wish you happy family life with your Miss Ukraine Olga!   :nod:  :)

Jinny

Offline mcs

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Hey Chris!!!
This is possibly one of the most inspirational reads I have had for quite some time. I agree with all your points. I myself can say this was my guide to happiness as well. I especially agree with your point about looking into your gals eyes. It is something that my Aly told me was the one thing that drew her to me and she knew that I was the man for her. Best of luck on the 19th.
Cheers :BEER: :canada:

Smitty

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 01:10:12 AM »
Our congratulations to you both  :party0031:, we are not far away just over the border in Russia Taganrog, a truely amazing story of how you got here  tiphat but it is not the path it is the road you now tread good luck and long life
Mark & Elena

Thank you Mark and Elena! I'm happy to be here on this great site, and to live and work in UA! Perhaps we can meet some day in the new year :) It's a pain in the butt for me to get an RU visa though.

Warmest!

Christopher
Christopher
-

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 01:16:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum 'another' and congrats to you and your intended on your impending nuptials. It's nice to hear from someone else on the forum who is treading a 'different path' from the what others will preach as 'the only way to......'; or what they consider to be the 'norm'.

As Stuart said above usually the successful folks are the 'self starters' and those who can make their own way independently.  I wish you luck in the future and hope you'll also share some insights in the 'expat' part of the forum as well with your experiences and musings on living in Ukraine.

Remember as always there's an element to folks in this endeavor where there is so much more than meets the eye.

ECR844 - Thank you :)

Many people, fail and fail and fail--I have! And eventually they succeed because they do not know how to stop trying! Now that I've made it to UA, living, working and loving, I'm so happy I did not give up at so many places and at so many challenges.

Yes, I absolutely will share my expat experiences.

And I agree with you--this endeavor and the people who give their lives to it have much more in them (and supporting them) than anyone can imagine.

And for all of you who already know, and for those of you who wonder--when you're home, living with your amazing RU speaking woman, after the dating and romance... the challenges become greater. And so do the rewards for the man who leads his lady with respect, and listens to her and considers her SIGNIFICANT wisdom, through all of the challenges. I cannot believe how lucky I am to share life, love and challenges with Olga.

Warmest,

Christopher
Christopher
-

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 01:20:58 AM »

You have been severely tested in the many battles you have fought and have come out the other side looking ahead to a happy future. I am sure you are an inspiration to many people in many ways. I hope you and your intended find happiness in abundence and with such a positive outlook on life, I am sure you will.

Поздравляю тебя

DS

Dogsoldier - Hello and thank you for your congrats and warm wishes :) I also wish this for you and your life and love.

Life is beautiful, painful, sweet and bitter, often imperfect (tough for perfectionistic, idealistic, romantics like ME!)... so life is perfect.

Every day we must chose what we will feel and how we will look at the day, our life and our world. I wish I could live for a thousand years now! Thank you for that--Olga!

Warmest,

Christopher
Christopher
-

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »
Christopher,

I sincerely wish you happy family life with your Miss Ukraine Olga!   :nod:  :)

Jinny

Hello Jinny :)

I can see from your thumbs up that you are a real woman and a classic lady. Bravo!

Thank you for your warm wishes... and I do intend to enjoy a happy family life with my sweet Miss Ukraine :)

Hmmmm... it may be too early, but Olga told me I can tell my US friends that we're working on adding to our family (we're practicing on purpose to add our first baby!). Well, I want to be loyal to my precious love Olga, so I cannot tell anyone other than my US friends about this--so everyone else, please disregard this paragraph. And as for naming our new family members, we're going to name them with both US and UA names, as well as my patronymic (Christopherovna/Christopherovich) "class!" ...and she likes US names and I like UA names! So, I'll let everyone know how our first is named :)

Warmest, poka poka, Jinny,

Christopher
Christopher
-

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 01:33:45 AM »
Hey Chris!!!
This is possibly one of the most inspirational reads I have had for quite some time. I agree with all your points. I myself can say this was my guide to happiness as well. I especially agree with your point about looking into your gals eyes. It is something that my Aly told me was the one thing that drew her to me and she knew that I was the man for her. Best of luck on the 19th.
Cheers :BEER: :canada:

Smitty

Smitty - Hello Kanuk! :) ...and thank you for your warm wishes!

Theses ladies know our eyes are truly the windows to our soul. And when you look into a real man or a real woman's eyes, and their eyes smile in concert with their mouth--you know you've met a sincere person. Olga's little thumbnail photo of her face, smile and SMILING EYES just NAILED me! And it got better on Skype, and it got really great when she met me at DOK when my plane landed, and I LIVE IN HEAVEN every morning when I wake up and kiss her beautiful, sleepy, sweet eyes and then her nose and then her lips and--well... lettuce leave it at that. From a couple of things I've read, that members have written on this forum, I KNOW there are children present here! ;) ;) ;0  :saint:
Christopher
-

Offline christianv

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »
You do seem a little manic  :laugh:
Im currently in Odessa, Ukraine. Feel free to call me if you are planning to visit! (+38) O66 55 75 6O4

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 07:43:29 AM »

Christianv - FINALLY a little recognition! Thank you my new friend--I'll take this as a compliment from you :)

I'm also a writer, and brutally tormented by an eclectic, enigmatic imagination and a relentless muse who thinks it's so clever to wake me up at 2:30 AM and 4:03 AM with some new clever story idea... and the imagination fires in every direction, all the time.

Sometimes I wish I could live without ideas and an entrepreneurial drive. It seems like it would be so nice to watch grass grow as I smile without the burdens of contemplation. I think, dream and work too much. I'm like a chocoholic--only for life. I've never found the off switch. Don't really wanna. This life is so absurdly short. So much more to do, and I'm a "human doing," one day I want to learn how to be.

[yes, I always enjoy a lot of alliteration :)]
Christopher
-

Offline christianv

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »

Christianv - FINALLY a little recognition! Thank you my new friend--I'll take this as a compliment from you :)

I'm also a writer, and brutally tormented by an eclectic, enigmatic imagination and a relentless muse who thinks it's so clever to wake me up at 2:30 AM and 4:03 AM with some new clever story idea... and the imagination fires in every direction, all the time.

Sometimes I wish I could live without ideas and an entrepreneurial drive. It seems like it would be so nice to watch grass grow as I smile without the burdens of contemplation. I think, dream and work too much. I'm like a chocoholic--only for life. I've never found the off switch. Don't really wanna. This life is so absurdly short. So much more to do, and I'm a "human doing," one day I want to learn how to be.

Im the same, so it was a compliment. Just be weary of the inevitable comedown.
Im currently in Odessa, Ukraine. Feel free to call me if you are planning to visit! (+38) O66 55 75 6O4

Offline anotheropus

• Shto yest - to yest
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »

Im the same, so it was a compliment. Just be weary of the inevitable comedown.

Thanks :) I often "enjoy" the American roller coaster ride many times in each day :) ...the key seems to be aware, recognize it, shut it down or mentally block it ASAP before you accept the false reality. And because I like good wine, I strictly don't drink when I'm on top of the world, or when I'm down. I know the wonderful alcohol will make me feel good for a while and then it won't be enough, and as I've got an absurdly active imagination--I really brawl with amazing battles in my own mind! So... life is good :)

Be well,

Christopher

Christopher
-

Registration