The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Shipping to Ukraine  (Read 1164 times)

Offline ChrisE

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Shipping to Ukraine
« on: April 16, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
 I was wondering if anyone has any information on what will be involved in shipping a cheap laptop to Ukraine-Nikolayeve to be exact. My lady had her computer stolen in a break in, so I have picked up a cheap replacement on ebay, which I should have in a couple days. of course I have to load it with software so it's ready to plug and play, and the only thing she will have to do is connect to the internet.
  So is there any documentation I have to worry about, as it's a gift?  And what about software loaded on it-is there any concerns I have to worry about? Or if it is better, maybe I can find someone who is going there to take it with them as a personal computer, then have it sent from there? I will appreciate any information, or anyone who would volunteer to ship it from in country.
 Thanks

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Shipping to Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 02:38:14 PM »
This is a woman you haven't met yet right?

If this theft was from an apartment, ask her how they got through the outward opening steel door with about fifteen locks - which would be typical.

I smell a red flag here.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline ChrisE

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »
 It was a photo studio where she works-she had left i there I guess.
But I have actually chatted with her on Skype, and sent the flowers and gotten the delivery photo, as well as a few other tests. She's legit and I trust this one completely.

Offline Paul

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
It was a photo studio where she works-she had left i there I guess.
But I have actually chatted with her on Skype, and sent the flowers and gotten the delivery photo, as well as a few other tests. She's legit and I trust this one completely.

That does not mean that she is not taking advantage of you,.. it doesn't mean she is either, but you should not "trust this one completely" yet.

Anyway, just go to your local post office and send it, it will get to her in about 2 weeks (maybe less). You will have to fill out a short form for U.S. Customs and I'm not sure what you friend will have to do when she picks it up, since I have never sent anything to Ukraine. I wouldn't worry about it so much.

How soon before you go to see her? Why not bring it with you?

Offline Jinny

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 05:45:08 AM »
That does not mean that she is not taking advantage of you,..

:nod:

There are lots of not expensive netbooks on sale in Ukraine.

Offline ChrisE

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »
 Thanks for the input Jinny, and for everyone's information. I checked into things, and had Anna shop around. She suggested an actual laptop over a netbook so she could do her photo work on it, among other things. I could not argue the point, especially since she found one on sale that was only a few dollars more than a good netbook (good girl!). I sent the money, and she had the laptop next morning. Turns out the laptop she got is the same one I had ordered for her here in the US!  :laugh: I guess sometimes we think too much alike! And the price she paid was good-I figured it out. With the deal I got on the laptop, then add in the time to load the software on it, then shipping costs and the good chance that it would not make it past customs agents with sticky fingers, it was a deal. Now I have a laptop at home, but already have a couple interested people who want to buy it-at a $100 profit for me!  :-X
  So I had a great afternoon-got to finally spend a couple hours on Skype with her, and going to be back on tomorrow..and whenever possible I guess until that fateful day when we meet (and she decides I smell bad?-hope not! lol). So once again, thanks everyone!

Registration