The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Care to clue in a TV researcher from The Estrogen Channel?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Care to clue in a TV researcher from The Estrogen Channel?
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:56 AM »
I get contacted by various media types from time to time. I usually Google them to be sure they are real, most are as this one is. I was contacted today by a researcher from this TV show:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/drop-dead-diva

The Wikipedia entry on the channel tells us this:

Because of the obvious feminine slant to the network's programming, Lifetime is often jokingly referred to as The Estrogen Channel,[citation needed] or "Wifetime" and many criticize the network's over-reliance on formulaic made for TV movies, including the "women in jeopardy" or "woman scorned" theme common on films produced by the network, archived product which aired on the major networks in the 1980s and 1990s, and outside producers airing their work on the network. Other comedy programs have satirized Lifetime's sometimes sentimental programming. Family Guy once parodied their slogan, making it Lifetime: Television for Idiots, and in an episode had one of the main characters make a Lifetime-like film which oversimplified those themes, along with a film starring Valerie Bertinelli, called "Men are Terrible and Will Hurt You Because This is Lifetime".

Here are the questions I was asked:

1. Would you know if the mail order brides get paid for their "job?"  From what i've researched, they do not but we wanted to make sure. 

2. Do these women owe the company money that they need to pay back which requires them to stay with the guy in US for any length of time? And if so how long? 

3. Might you have any idea how exactly mail order bride companies vette the women they put on their website?

4. And finally are these international match making websites credible, legal and on the up and up (from an American business standard) or are most run out of a shady apartment abroad? I would venture to guess there are some legit companies and some illegitimate, but would love your opinion.

Due to the nature of questions 1 and 2 in particular, on this occasion, I thought I might put these questions out to the membership for reply. I will link the researcher to the topic in a couple of days.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
Re: Care to clue in a TV researcher from The Estrogen Channel?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:50:39 AM »

Manny,

Apparently you missed that Jon (the researcher) has already posted these questions and has gotten some responses already.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:26:36 AM »

Manny,

Apparently you missed that Jon (the researcher) has already posted these questions and has gotten some responses already.

ohhhhh yes he is being clued in with the big "sarky" hat on
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:52 AM »
I had missed that indeed. Thanks chaps. He's all yours.  tiphat
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
I have to say that having read the other thread that the tone of the posting seems very defensive. The truth is that one might be best served by dealing with his points. The questions that he asks are worthy of respectful consideration if for no other reason than they are questions asked by many, many people and reflect attitudes very common among those looking in on the MOB business.
As a side point, it'd be hard to argue that some women are NOT paid for their services in the MOB business and it'd be hard to argue that some women are not trafficked, with or without consent, under the guise of marriage. It'd make more sense to deal with these topics in the specific context of this little niche business as compared to other niches of this business where circumstances might well be different, albeit looking similar to outsiders.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline sparky114

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
I have to say that having read the other thread that the tone of the posting seems very defensive. The truth is that one might be best served by dealing with his points. The questions that he asks are worthy of respectful consideration if for no other reason than they are questions asked by many, many people and reflect attitudes very common among those looking in on the MOB business.
As a side point, it'd be hard to argue that some women are NOT paid for their services in the MOB business and it'd be hard to argue that some women are not trafficked, with or without consent, under the guise of marriage. It'd make more sense to deal with these topics in the specific context of this little niche business as compared to other niches of this business where circumstances might well be different, albeit looking similar to outsiders.

So Andrew with your status as an experienced member here perhaps you would go over and converse with the guy on the subject :)

Or maybe you are like the rest of us and could not give one about him? :)

Mark

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:15:13 PM »
Sparky, if nobody cared then nobody would have posted.

Some of you are more personally involved than I am, you have a dog in the fight as it were.

Do you WANT me to post, because I can if you want, but you can be assured that my perspective is unlikely to be as comfortable for you or your wimmin as you might prefer.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »

Some of you are more personally involved than I am, you have a dog in the fight as it were.

Do you WANT me to post, because I can if you want, but you can be assured that my perspective is unlikely to be as comfortable for you or your wimmin as you might prefer.

First was a trip to FLA. Now there's a chance to go to NYC for a taping? Of course, Disney will pick up the tab.

Offline Paul

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
I get contacted by various media types from time to time. I usually Google them to be sure they are real, most are as this one is. I was contacted today by a researcher from this TV show:

Considering the way he asked the questions and, his failure to reply to any posts in the thread, I would say he is just a clever troll.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
Yes, Andrew, please do post in this thread. I am especially interested in your response to the "Are the women paid" part of your answer, given that this is a longstanding allegation of many of the webcam chat girls that are featured on your favorite HRB site which you have maintained since  your Florida holiday is so completely legitimate.

David

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 01:38:19 PM »
Yes, Andrew, please do post in this thread. I am especially interested in your response to the "Are the women paid" part of your answer, given that this is a longstanding allegation of many of the webcam chat girls that are featured on your favorite HRB site which you have maintained since  your Florida holiday is so completely legitimate.

David

Pardon, what have you been reading? Imagining stuff again old boy? I bet you must've been a killer on the cross in your day, eh?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »

First was a trip to FLA. Now there's a chance to go to NYC for a taping? Of course, Disney will pick up the tab.

Pardon? FLA? Disney? NYC?

Are you OK mate?

What are you bleating about?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:57:20 PM »
David.. when andrewfi is 'busted' - he responds to a question with one of his own..!

I'd say you just scored a 'home run'...
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »

Are you OK mate?

"FLA" is a common abbreviation for Florida.

"NYC" is New York City, where most cable talk shows are taped.

Disney is a primary owner of the Lifetime Channel, as well as its current parent A&E Networks.

See, it was simple.

David

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »

Are you OK mate?

"FLA" is a common abbreviation for Florida.

"NYC" is New York City, where most cable talk shows are taped.

Disney is a primary owner of the Lifetime Channel, as well as its current parent A&E Networks.

See, it was simple.

David

Geez, beat me to the punch.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »
David.. when andrewfi is 'busted' - he responds to a question with one of his own..!

I'd say you just scored a 'home run'...

Er.. Have you been watching American TV again?  :laugh:

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 02:18:56 PM »
Why does every thread turn almost immediately to petty bickering?
Is there a good reason that we can't either boy clueless producer on
the right track or at least have a little fun making fun of him?

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »

Is there a good reason that we can't either boy clueless producer on
the right track or at least have a little fun making fun of him?

Udachi

Bill

Ahem, who said we aren't?

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 02:51:14 PM »

Ahem, who said we aren't?

Ok, I admit I was wrong about that one  ;D
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »
WTF is this - "Reality TV"  :chuckle: This will really be painting the MOB scene in a positive realistic light - NOT!

About Drop Dead Diva

The highly anticipated second season of Lifetime Television’s hit series “Drop Dead Diva” premiered Sunday, June 6, 2010, at 9 pm et/pt. Praised by critics as one of 2009’s top new series, the one-hour, comedic drama tells the story of a shallow wannabe model who dies in a sudden accident only to find her soul resurfacing in the body of a brilliant, plus-size and recently deceased attorney, Jane. Produced by Sony Pictures Television, “Drop Dead Diva” features breakout star Brooke Elliott (“Wicked,” “Taboo”), Margaret Cho (“Ghost Whisperer,” “Notorious C.H.O.”), Jackson Hurst (“The Tree of Life”), Kate Levering (“Cashmere Mafia”), April Bowlby (“Two and a Half Men”), Josh Stamberg (“Lie to Me”) and Ben Feldman (“The Perfect Man”). The second season of “Drop Dead Diva” will feature 13 new episodes.

Currently in production in Atlanta, the Season 2 opener of “Drop Dead Diva” will feature entertainer Paula Abdul (“American Idol”) reprising her role as Judge Paula Abdul, a figment of Jane’s subconscious. Devon Gummersall (“My So-Called Life”) and David Denman (“The Office”) return as guest stars this season. The premiere episode will also feature a musical dream sequence, choreographed by Keith “Tyce” Diorio of “So You Think You Can Dance.”

In the first season of “Drop Dead Diva,” beautiful-but-vapid model wannabe Deb (Brooke D’Orsay) suddenly finds herself in front of heaven’s gatekeeper, Fred (Ben Feldman), following a fatal car crash. Outraged by her sudden demise, she attempts to persuade Fred to return her to her shallow existence but is accidentally relegated to the body of the recently deceased Jane Bingum (Brooke Elliott). An intelligent, thoughtful and plus-size attorney with a loyal assistant, Teri (Margaret Cho), Jane has always lived in the shadow of her colleagues, whereas Deb has always relied on her external beauty. By a twist of fate and a bolt of divine intervention, Deb must come to terms with inhabiting Jane’s curvier frame and learn to reconcile her beauty-queen ways with her brilliant new mind.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
WTF is this - "Reality TV"  :chuckle: This will really be painting the MOB scene in a positive realistic light - NOT!

About Drop Dead Diva ............

I think everyone got that Cuffy and worked out where the show would be heading to. All except our 'man in Tallinn' who thought we were being a bit defensive.  :ROFL:

Offline sparky114

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:01 AM »

About Drop Dead Diva ............

I think everyone got that Cuffy and worked out where the show would be heading to. All except our 'man in Tallinn' who thought we were being a bit defensive.  :ROFL:

You forgot Tallininka's side kick Manchester he thought too we were all being harsh (:) i think he has been a radio hero too long  :sick0012:

Mark

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »
Thank you David for the explanation. Now please help me out again and tell me just what you were getting at in order that I might, if it seems relevant and worthy of my limited time, respond to you because even with your limited clarification I find myself wondering what you were getting at. Your point seemed, as far as I could tell, to have little to do with what this researcher dude was asking and much more to do with your petty vendettas and fantasies. As a helpful bloke with work, family and friends to balance out I would hate to be wasting my time on your tomfoolery.

When you were 'trained in the law' did you not get taught something of the use of rhetoric? if so, how come you are so bad at it now?

Now, for moby and others, it seems reasonable when a clarification is needed that one might ask for it. This is not as moby thinks' answering a question with a question' but simply wishing to not do as many, including you moby, do and rush in without understanding the question or issues.

Registration