The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Truth and nonsense about scammers.  (Read 53532 times)

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Truth and nonsense about scammers.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:35 PM »
And not long ago a new program appeared that searches for pictures. You upload your picture and it searches the web for copies of it. Last year it was still in the infant stages but seems to be picking up steam now. It is worth a try and you never know, if the picture is fairly famous it will likely have been cataloged and if it is also on a scam site it is possible it may show up. I do not know how good it is with searching foreign sites. It is an interesting program to play with.

http://www.tineye.com/

Scott Walyer
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Snowbrrrrr

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 03:07:57 AM »
 :knit:  I live in the private new house .. .. here next to my house I have  15 neighbors .... There is no landline! Non! We all use ONLY  cell phones! I have four cell numbers in  two cell phones! I have cell intrnet! My office in my house as well ... make your conclusions! I just do not have a landline ... hmmmmm... :GRRRR: :hidechair:
Snow

Offline MikeMetis

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Received an email in my inbox from a girl Zaikina Juliya.  In the first letter she informed me that she lives in Ukraine. Corresponding for a while then she fell in love and told me that she would like to come and visit me in US. She told me that plane tickets would cost $850.00 but ask me to send money because she does not have the money to pay for the plane tickets. She also emails me a copy of her passport and that is when I found out that it is a scam.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »
Received an email in my inbox from a girl Zaikina Juliya.  In the first letter she informed me that she lives in Ukraine. Corresponding for a while then she fell in love and told me that she would like to come and visit me in US. She told me that plane tickets would cost $850.00 but ask me to send money because she does not have the money to pay for the plane tickets. She also emails me a copy of her passport and that is when I found out that it is a scam.

Welcome to the site Mike.

That passport suggests you were hoping to import a 22 year old woman (or 21 if I read the month in Ukrainian correctly - Is Serpiya August?). May I ask how old are you?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline MikeMetis

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
yes))) i'm 35 years) see her fotos. Don't believe her!!!!!!!!

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »
yes))) i'm 35 years) see her fotos. Don't believe her!!!!!!!!

Hi Mike

What works good is to cut and paste parts of her letters into Google and see if you get results. Often times these leters are used multiple times.

BTW welcome to RUA

Offline MikeMetis

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »
I also spoke with another two girls. Kruger Juliya, she have red hair and Elena Solyanik.
Unfortunately they are also deceived me. I'm not older man and i want to find young girl. But  I'm disappointed in finding my love. I have their passport too. I can send it later. Be careful with them!!!!!!

Offline MikeMetis

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »
I'm glad that i find this site. I'm glad to share with other men my not lucky story!!!!!!

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »
There is certainly no shortage of scammers in Ukraine, Mike; corruption is the national sport there. Scammers are not the biggest problem, however; most men who fail are victims of their own devices. The sooner that you learn that girls in their early twenties, especially Ukrainian girls, are poor percentage risks, the better for you.

The girls in the above photo are not necessarily scammers. They may simply be some trashy girls with an inflated sense of self-worth. (God only knows why Juliya would have an inflated sense of self-worth but stranger things have happened.)

Offline between

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2014, 11:52:25 PM »
I cant even stand to look at that picture of low calls nasties. Why would you even bother...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 01:32:05 AM »
I cant even stand to look at that picture of low calls nasties. Why would you even bother...
Self esteem. If that is what we think we are worth then that is what we look for.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 01:57:51 AM »
I'm glad that i find this site. I'm glad to share with other men my not lucky story!!!!!!

So how are you finding Kiev? You on a tour there?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Halo

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 02:08:10 AM »
There is certainly no shortage of scammers in Ukraine, Mike; corruption is the national sport there. Scammers are not the biggest problem, however; most men who fail are victims of their own devices. The sooner that you learn that girls in their early twenties, especially Ukrainian girls, are poor percentage risks, the better for you.

I wouldn't go that far.  It depends on who one interacts with, as well as expectations.  A 35 year old man looking for women in their early twenties is ripe for the picking.  TBH, I don't have much sympathy for him.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 02:12:02 AM »

Know a lot of young Ukrainian girls, do you? Or is it just that you have a beef about all things Ukrainian in general.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »

Know a lot of young Ukrainian girls, do you? Or is it just that you have a beef about all things Ukrainian in general.

It seems that he failed in his quest for what he wanted in Ukraine and apparently spent a lot of money doing so; thus the bitterness.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline TomT

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

I was referring to the trashy Ukrainian girls in the photo. I'm surprised that you didn't pick up on that.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:39 AM »

I was referring to the trashy Ukrainian girls in the photo. I'm surprised that you didn't pick up on that.

Don't worry Tom, he knew well enough but the reality of your words did not fit his chosen narrative.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »

The sooner that you learn that girls in their early twenties, especially Ukrainian girls,

A pretty broad brush, if you were only referencing the girls in the photo.

Offline TomT

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »

The sooner that you learn that girls in their early twenties, especially Ukrainian girls,

A pretty broad brush, if you were only referencing the girls in the photo.

I probably should have written: "... especially these Ukrainian girls..."

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
Most who have been will tell all who will listen, any girl under 25 is a risk, they are young, wanna party and have fun
with their friends, not much different anywhere, you look for under 25 you take your chances, even under 30 in many cases.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2014, 04:08:37 AM »

I wouldn't go that far.  It depends on who one interacts with, as well as expectations.  A 35 year old man looking for women in their early twenties is ripe for the picking.  TBH, I don't have much sympathy for him.

As someone who lives part of each year In Ukraine I have to support Tom's comment, Corruption is a national sport, especially against naive westerners. A "normality" there that staggers those of us brought up to be/attempt  honest(Y) and to expect honesty from our police, judiciary and business dealings. 

Halo, I disagree that a guy of 35 is fishing out of any normal pond to be factoring in girls in their 20's. Now a guy of 55 is a different matter :-) but would agree the differences in maturity between 21 and 29 for example are well worth waiting for in a woman :-)

Offline Halo

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2014, 09:26:04 AM »
As someone married to a Ukrainian, and who has spent a great deal of time in Ukraine, I will say I have never had anyone try to scam me.   Then again, I'm not a WM chasing tail.

As I have posted in the past, I had a very positive client experience with the Ukrainian judiciary.  Nevertheless, I was not referring to the police, judiciary, or state organs.  I was referring to the average Ukrainian you will encounter.

Most Westerners don't travel to Ukraine to spread the good word, so why would they expect honesty in return?

Most 22 or 23 year olds  are not dreaming of marrying a man in his mid thirties, even if older men wish to believe otherwise.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2014, 01:12:18 PM »
You never had a gypsy try to scam you in downtown Kiev Halo? Watered down milk at the market?

There is a reason they put your change down on the little tray in Ukraine when you are shopping. Many little scams in day to day life.

Offline Halo

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »
No, no gypsy scams.  I don't buy anything from gypsies in Ukraine.  Even in Soviet times, it was known they made "honey" from sugar.  I buy products only from suppliers my MIL or SIL know. 

My husband once did buy me a watermelon at Bessarabsky Rynok, which made me ill.  I continued eating it, the only thing I was eating, thinking the water would at least hydrate me.  When he told MIL I was ill, she asked if he purchased the melon from a Korean.  After a positive response, she said to never buy melons from Koreans, they inject them with water to up the weight.

Offline sweet_flower

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 06:52:59 AM »
Hi, guys!
 This man - MikeMetis not a real man! It's a girl, her name is Julia Galun and she really has a passport these girls, because she was personally acquainted with them, and even tried to be friends with them! Only for this reason MikeMetis have  their passports, no girl will never send pictures of passports to any man , it is too personal information!
 These girls - Kruger Juliya, Zaikina Juliya  and Elena Solyanik just  were victims of jokes  this girl! She spreads not truthful information about them on different sites such as "Facebook" and "vk.com", as well as send their alleged nude photos where  can not see their face, but it's the usual images from the internet!
She lives in Kharkov! Do not believe her! On this site really have a girls that are scams, but Kruger Juliya, Zaikina Juliya and Elena Solyanik only just become victims of this girl, she wants to hurt them by any means, and does not want them to find their love on Anastasia !!!!