The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Where are the farm girls in Ukraine?  (Read 7590 times)

Offline cowsfly

Where are the farm girls in Ukraine?
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:34:10 PM »
Hello! 

Which areas of Ukraine are known to have farms with cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, gardens?  At the end of this month I am going to Kiev.  It is not very likely I'll meet a lady in Kiev who really likes farms, but if I get out in some of the other areas of Ukraine I am sure there are ladies who would rather live on a nice farm than be stressed with city life.  Of course villages are probably where these girls are, but which cities are more likely to be places where these farm girls go for school, or are near agriculture areas?

Thanks a bunch!

Mark

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
Re: Where are the farm girls in Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:02:30 PM »
Do the farm's have to have actual gardens or will the farmland suffice?

As for cows then I've never seen one in Ukraine and I have looked. I've never looked for pigs, chickens and rabbits though a restaurant in Kiev near the football stadium keeps a pig as a pet.

Good luck in your search.  tiphat

Offline Paul

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Cowsfly, I think you are looking for a needle in a haystack. If most women who want to marry and move abroad are looking for a better life, I can't imagine one living on a farm marrying someone to live on another farm in a different country... I'm sure they exist but, you are taking a difficult thing and, making it ten times more difficult if that is a requirement.

I can't get the theme song to Green Acres out of my head now...  :'( Yeah, I know she went from city living to a farm but, still...

Offline cowsfly

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
Thanks for the note Vinny.

The basic idea is to increase the chances of meeting a lady who would be compatible with and enjoy farm life (USA farm).  I've dated a city girl and have been told city girls are pretty much the same all over the world.  Nothing against them, that is just what they know and appreciate.  I'm looking for a lady who was raised around farms, therefore increasing the liklihood she may be compatible and enjoy life on my farm in the USA?

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »
I agree with Paul (about the needle not the song). Many guys would be able to give you a more educated opinion but maybe Russia would be a better place to look?  :hidechair:

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
Hello! 

Which areas of Ukraine are known to have farms with cows, pigs, chickens, rabbits, gardens?  At the end of this month I am going to Kiev.  It is not very likely I'll meet a lady in Kiev who really likes farms, but if I get out in some of the other areas of Ukraine I am sure there are ladies who would rather live on a nice farm than be stressed with city life.  Of course villages are probably where these girls are, but which cities are more likely to be places where these farm girls go for school, or are near agriculture areas?

Thanks a bunch!

Mark

Mark,

There is at least one university in Kyiv which has a graduate school of agricultural economics, for I met a student from it on a train about ten years ago--he was going home for a long weekend when I met him.

You should know that the villages here are places where most young people try to escape if and as they can--the level of typical education in them is quite low, I'm told, and young people mostly are drawn to the cities for school and work. Also, there is a fair stigma attached to living in a village among most people here. Thus, it may be somewhat of a challenge to find the right lady who may be amenable to farm life--since it is so different in the U.S. it would be hard for many of them to imagine. Also, many young ladies may feel that living in the country would leave them quite isolated in a culture that is quite strange to them.

You might touch base with the U.S. Embassy--they have staff members who track agricultural production and imports. They might be able to guide you as to where you might find the more progressive farm areas here in Ukraine.

David

Offline dobradavid

• Meмber
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
Can't say from personal experience, but every girl I ever knew in the FSU characterized farm girls as uneducated and alcoholic - seems they are trapped by their circumstances.

Dobra David

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
They are referred to as 'village girls' and they don't get much respect so they are doubly marginalized. I wrote to one once and had a bugger of a time translating her misspelled Russian and trying to teach her English. I suppose that one could find a real jewel amongst them, if time was no object, but I don't recommend playing Pygmalion.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
They are referred to as 'village girls' and they don't get much respect so they are doubly marginalized. I wrote to one once and had a bugger of a time translating her misspelled Russian and trying to teach her English. I suppose that one could find a real jewel amongst them, if time was no object, but I don't recommend playing Pygmalion.

I think farmgirls are too much idealized by the 'house on the prairy' series,....,  Normal is difficult enough to handle
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline MND

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
I can see most guys here have not been out in the rural areas of Ukraine, there are absolutley thousands of women living on farms in Ukraine most of them absolutley beautiful Yes many have cows, pigs, chickens, horses, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, hares etc.
Western Ukraine is the best place to look but these women will not be found on dating sites you will have to travel around Ukraine to meet them and most are very wary of strangers and will not speak English.

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »
I can see most guys here have not been out in the rural areas of Ukraine, there are absolutley thousands of women living on farms in Ukraine most of them absolutley beautiful Yes many have cows, pigs, chickens, horses, ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, hares etc.
Western Ukraine is the best place to look but these women will not be found on dating sites you will have to travel around Ukraine to meet them and most are very wary of strangers and will not speak English.

That is absoluutly not true, actually most of them speak very good English!
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 08:21:12 PM »
Cowsfly, one the biggest problems will be with the image issue. A village damsel will know that when she tells friends and family that she is leaving for America, to exchange one farm life for another, the reactions will vary from bewilderment to outright derision.

A farmer who gets up at 4am to milk his modest herd by hand and then hitch his horse to a wooden cart for the trip out to plant the fields can never wrap his arms around how modern and comfortable a farm can be in the West. There is no context for him/her to compare. To him, a farm is a farm is a farm is a farm -- and young people are conditioned to believe that life is hard, opportunities is limited, and farms are places from which to escape while young and before its too late.

What members such as David, Dobre (hi David, good to see you here!), Tom and others have said is very true about the image, and the aspirations of most young village girls. After all perhaps one of her most cherished memories was the school trip off to the big city to see the Ballet. That was so inspiring and instilled a dream that someday....

The observations of Schastlivyj are also very accurate. How can both be true? Schastlivyj is right that there are absolutely wonderful girls to be found. They are plentiful and unpicked over like spoiled girls in the tired and jaded cities of Odessa and Kyiv.

The others are right that the job of finding one is like finding a needle in a haystack as their location and circumstances make the already difficult job of finding "Mrs Right" even more difficult. With that being said, there is much to appreciate about the girls in Ukrainian villages. But they're also in Belarussian and Kazakh and Russian villages. In fact, more plentiful in Russia just based on population.

Below are some RUA resources to help you learn more about this specific type of girl.

- Ukrainian village life: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=6541.0

- Farm family in Belarus: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,6800.msg150234.html#msg150234

- Big city versus Small town girls: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5313.0;highlight=dacha

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
http://www.lol.org.ua/eng/docs/Farm%20Handbook%20ENG.pdf

Perhaps a US AID booklet from 2005 loaded with both Urban and Rural facts might be useful...

There are a number of female farmer associations such as the Coalition of Women Farmers and the Women Farmers Association in Kharkiv, Association of Women in Agricultural Education in Kyiv, Council of Women Farmers in Ukraine and the Club of Women Farmers (Khutoryanichka) in Odesa and women’s cooperative in Zakarpatya.

The two major women’s organizations in agriculture are the Board of Women’s Association and the Union of
Village Women. The Board, which has 3,500 members in 14 oblasts, provides members with basic knowledge on
financial matters, record keeping, business planning, computer skills and how to obtain loans. The group also helps
disseminate project information and provide limited legal help to women farmers. The association is also creating
marketing cooperatives in Odesa, Mykolaiv and Kherson.

The Union of Village Women in Poltava Oblast has 4,270 farmer members in 20 regions. The Association provides
its members with: (1) legal consultations, especially on land issues and how low income farmers may benefit
from more commercial operations; (2) agricultural production advice; (3) strong network of Internet information
centers and cooperative development including credit unions.

A quick read shows some fairly active women's farmers organizations in the major cities - go figure - guess the city slickers need to eat too  :o

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 12:45:14 AM »
Farm girls is an interesting question. Nowadays I am not even quite sure they are out there. First of all, the majority of the population live in towns for the time being. Next, too many people have relatives in a city and live there once in a while, and finally, village life is quite different now. I do not feel there is too much difference between city girls and countryside girls now. Actually I also live in a small village which has 3 streets. It does not feel like the countryside of 1980s. Back then I used to travel to my grandfather in the summer. It was fun: cows, chicken, all kinds of farm life. When I was there 4 years ago it was quite different. But it was Russia. The Crimea where I live is not like that anyway. So, to make it short I do not know if it is farm girls. I would suggest calling it girls from smaller towns. This is still different from big cities like Odessa and Kiev, and in fact in many towns people still live like in the countryside in a private house and keep chicken, etc.

That is absoluutly not true, actually most of them speak very good English!
You are wrong and grossly mistaken!!!

ALL of them speak much better English than Americans. Every one of them. Even kids. They start speaking English before they speak Ukrainian. LOL.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:27 AM »

Having spent time in villages and the smaller towns the place to  find these women is for sure Western Ukraine, there are lots of good women in these places, smaller towns, villages call them what you want, you see them walking around all over the place,  but finding them unless you are there on the ground is nigh on impossible, you have to go there to find them and mix with the locals, you certainly won't find them on the internet and you will have to speak a sprinkling of Ukrainian, possibly Russian to get by and to meet them.

If you are serious about finding a lady from one of these places, then it would be best for you to network with guys on these boards and try and hook up with sisters, mothers, daughters etc of ladies that have already moved to the West, or hire a Ukrainian introducer/facilitator/service provider to get the ball rolling.

But think about it seriously and heed what Mendy says here
Quote from: Mendy
A village damsel will know that when she tells friends and family that she is leaving for America, to exchange one farm life for another, the reactions will vary from bewilderment to outright derision.

Offline MND

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 02:55:52 AM »
I have been to many small villages, small towns, and farms on the western side of Ukraine there are many women who hate big cities and small towns and are quite content to farm for a living. You will find with alot of people in Ukraine if the going gets tough alot will return to there villages and family farms as they know they can survive better there of the land than what they can in a town or city.
Myself and Chris have been saying it for the last couple of years there are many women living in these places that do not even know what internet dating is.
When i was travelling through the western side of Ukraine i met many great people that did not even know me from a bar of soap but that still did not stop them from inviting me into there houses for a meal and a drink (Vodka).
My wife always kept a close eye on me as many women would ask her if i was single.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 04:10:23 AM »
One example of this comes to mind:
Our friends Mel and Tanya live in a very small village of around 200 residents in central Alberta about a 45 minute drive from Red Deer.  They lived at one end of town and my family's summer home was at the other in all about a 5 minute walk away.   They have a happy family life with four young boys.  Age was not a problem as there is over 20 years between Mel and Tanya's ages.  They have been married for around 10 years now.  So, yes you can find some ladies willing to move and settle for a more rural lifestyle.

As to finding each other.  Well Tanya grew up in Simforopol, Ukraine where her mother taught school (yes we visited her mother twice before she dieded while in Ukraine).  Later she moved to rural Russia with her father and older sister.  From there she moved to rural Canada where she continues to live.

Indeed life in Western Ukraine is very primative as we visited a famous Monastery located there about 5 years ago.  Even in the village many still had 1 horse power transport and workhorse power in looking after their own small farmstead.  Likewise in rural areas many people teather their 1 milk cow alongside the road to eat grass.  Sometimes you can find small heard of say a dozen cattle in a field.  Mainly however the farm areas are vast fields that continue to be the bread basket of the former Soviet Union. 

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 06:15:22 AM »

Myself and Chris have been saying it for the last couple of years there are many women living in these places that do not even know what internet dating is.

and this for the educated or savvy WM is where you will find some real down to earth gems and wonderful ladies. Forget the Odessa's, Kyivs, Moscows, St Pete's  etc .....go to the less trodden paths and hard to reach places which are full of great women, but you will have to put yourself out a bit and educate yourself to get there.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »
and this for the educated or savvy WM is where you will find some real down to earth gems and wonderful ladies. Forget the Odessa's, Kyivs, Moscows, St Pete's  etc .....go to the less trodden paths and hard to reach places which are full of great women, but you will have to put yourself out a bit and educate yourself to get there.

As you know Chris, I have previously explored the possibility of this option (with your kind help) but the big negative I found was that not many ladies appeared to speak any English. I appreciate that some guys might not (and haven’t in the past) have a problem with this but for others like me then its an obstacle I don’t wish to circumvent.

Offline Chris

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 07:28:15 AM »

As you know Chris, I have previously explored the possibility of this option (with your kind help) but the big negative I found was that not many ladies appeared to speak any English. I appreciate that some guys might not (and haven’t in the past) have a problem with this but for others like me then its an obstacle I don’t wish to circumvent.

Yes you have Vinny and I understand why you didn't pursue it any further and that's fair enough, and the language problem could indeed be another hurdle for many guys to get over, but if you are willing to put in the extra effort and work then there are diamonds in them thar hills, and not all of them struggle with English, but yes, it takes a lot more effort to find the English speaking ladies  :)

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »
I think the language debate is taking this a little :offtopic: However, I do happen to be in complete agreement with Vinny FWIW, I personally can't see any benefits whatsoever! Whenever we have this conversation its the same guys every time, none of us will change our mind whatever the argument, so probably best to try and drag this thread back onto topic!

The OP asked pretty much the same question in September 2009 so after 15 months my feelings are his chances are pretty remote! If I was a betting man I would say that someone may be taking the :censored: here :-X
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
I think the language debate is taking this a little :offtopic:

Maybe it is on topic as despite what JC tells us then I figure that one of the strengths of these farm gals wont be her English language ability. This maybe relevant to the OP.

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
Maybe it is on topic
Its making a point based purely upon assumption! The assumption being if you live in the country you unlikely to speak or have an understanding of foreign languages!

This maybe relevant to the OP.
Who's asking pretty much the same question as he asked 15 months ago, is much likely to change in the countryside during that period ???
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 08:40:59 AM »
Its making a point based purely upon assumption! The assumption being if you live in the country you unlikely to speak or have an understanding of foreign languages!

Guilty as charged your honour as I think city chicks are more likely to speak a foreign lingo and frequent Sushi establishments and a farmer’s daughter’s forte will be connected with manipulating udders. :reading:

Who's asking pretty much the same question as he asked 15 months ago, is much likely to change in the countryside during that period ???

We’ll he’s consistent then.  tiphat

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »
Guilty as charged your honour as I think city chicks are more likely to speak a foreign lingo and frequent Sushi establishments and a farmer’s daughter’s forte will be connected with manipulating udders. :reading
No sentence passed Vinny, its just very easy to assume this is the case, if those who live in the country are that poorly informed/educated one would just as easily assume that it would be equally difficult to find an Internet connection to start the correspondence in the first place!

Oh well........... at least we're getting a little extra mileage out of this topic tiphat