The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Mail Order Bride Industry and IMBRA is Changing! (At least for Americans).  (Read 13565 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Moby, do you think regulation of relationships that cross borders smacks of Oceania and Eurabia? Do you not think governments should just butt out of personal relationships? Do you need Big Brother to think for you?

I think it is a criteria to protect an unwitting partner, from a 'crazy' and no bad thing...  I HATE red tape, and you know I circumvented UK immigration laws to get Veta in the UK - [ using EU Directives - which give her - and her son - more rights]

This shouldn't be a big hoop to jump through for 'normal' blokes.

It wouldn't 'fly' if there weren't notable cases that folks can point to.. most Russian media sources are only too happy to remind folks back home, remember..  

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
it ain't just phsyical abuse
the bright abuse claimant is not going to claim physical abuse when emotional and mental abuse show no marks!

as there is no evidence collection or investigation in the US for women trying to get to stay using abuse as a reason the case officer jsutreads the file provided by the claimant which does NOT have to have a police report or even medical evidence although both are recommended.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online msmoby

Well no, he just wants to play the part of big brother telling us what to think and do, his MO is obvious!

Would that be:

1/ trolling

2/ playing devil's advocate

3/ 'coz I have actual experience in the 'subject' of women's rights / DV accusations ...

:coffeeread:

Online msmoby

it ain't just phsyical abuse
the bright abuse claimant is not going to claim physical abuse when emotional and mental abuse show no marks!

You beat me to it - I hope my agreement won't effect some members ability to comprehend

Online redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
As someone who travels on an Australian passport, it REALLY pi%#es me off that the only place in the world that molests me and fingerprints me just for the privilege of travelling through is the "dear old home of the brave and free".
I am supposed to have "visa free" access, but only if I have a biometric passport and pre-apply for security clearance.
Do I have a criminal background? No
Do I have any police interaction at all? No
Am I from a Muslim country or background? No
Am I a working, financial person? Yes
Do I need this nonsense anywhere in Europe, including the ex FSU? No

If you guys in the USA let this kind of stupidity continue to erode your rights to lead a  normal life, more fool you.
Stand up, be counted.

Offline Manny

It seems Hawaii has had International Marriage Organization rules since 2004. That pre-dates the current IMBRA legislation.

Hawaii

What is the law’s citation?

Haw. Rev. Stat. 489N

When did the law go into effect?

January 1, 2004

What kinds of businesses are regulated?

International matchmaking organization   (IMO) – ―a corporation, partnership, or other legal entity, whether or not organized under the laws of the United States or any state, that does business in the United States and for profit offers to residents of this State, dating, matrimonial, or social referral services involving citizens of a foreign country or countries who are not residing in the United States, by:
(1) An exchange of names, telephone numbers, addresses, or statistics;
(2) Selection of photographs; or
(3) A social environment provided by the organization in a country other than the United States.

Are some kinds of businesses specifically excluded from regulation?

No. Hawaii regulates all IMOs without IMBRA‘s exceptions for cultural or religious matchmaking organizations and IMOs offering comparable rates and services regardless of gender/citizenship.

Is an official criminal background check required of the US male client?

Only if the foreign female client requests it. The IMO must inform foreign
female clients that criminal history record information is available. If the
foreign female client requests this information, the US male client must
submit fingerprints to the Hawaii criminal justice data center and request an
official criminal history record to be sent directly from the Hawaii criminal
justice data center to the IMO.

Must additional details on the US male client’s marital history be provided to the foreign female client?

Only if the foreign female client requests them. In addition to the marital
history information that IMBRA requires to be disclosed, at the foreign
female client‘s request, the US male client must also disclose the number of
domestic violence protective orders issued against him and whether any of
his previous marriages resulted from using the services of an IMO.

Must additional “basic rights” information be provided to the foreign female client?

No. No additional  ”basic rights” information must be provided beyond what IMBRA requires.

Must this additional information be translated into the foreign female client’s native language?

Yes. In addition to information that IMBRA requires to be translated into
her primary language, the IMO must translate into the foreign female client‘s
native language:

1) Notice that criminal history record information and marital history information regarding the US male client is available.
2) If she requests it, the criminal history record information regarding the US male client.
3) If she requests it, the additional marital history information regarding the US male client.

What limitations are placed on the IMO’s services until the additional criminal history, marital history, and/or “basic rights” information has been provided?

The IMO is required to provide notice to the foreign female client that the
US male client‘s criminal history record information and additional marital
history information is available upon request.   If she requests this information, the IMO must stop providing further services that would facilitate future interaction between the clients until the US male client has
submitted his criminal history record and additional marital history information to the IMO, and the IMO has provided this information to the foreign female client in her native language.

When does the state have jurisdiction?

Hawaii has jurisdiction when an IMO contracts with a Hawaii resident or is
considered to be doing business in Hawaii under any law of the state.

Is the IMO law a part of the state’s consumer protection statute?

No. However, Hawaii‘s IMO law expressly states that any person who
violates this chapter shall be deemed to have engaged in an unfair or
deceptive act or practice in the conduct of any trade or commerce,
subjecting the party to penalties under the state‘s consumer protection
statute.

Who can bring suit?

The state or an individual.

What penalties could an IMO face?

A willful violation of the IMO law may result in a fine of up to $500 and
imprisonment of up to 30 days. The law specifically preserves the right to
other penalties and remedies available under the common law or other
state or federal laws. Violations of the consumer protection statute may
result in a fine of between $500 and $10,000 for each violation.

Is the IMO subject to any registration, reporting, or certification requirements?

Yes. IMOs must submit an annual report on their business activities to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
Sorry, but that was just another clueless example of 'theorising without real thought' from andrewfi... 

1/ *I* don't think it is such a bad thing to have to 'jump through a few hoops' to give some sort of reassurance.

2/ Women in crisis tend NOT to seek help - preferring to hope things will get better.

3/ It only takes a few cases like Manny posted to put any idea that the men's 'freedoms being infringed' should take precedence over measure to avoid possible loss of life / injury / a life of fear..

4/ Last time *I* looked The US elected govt officials were largely male...

Then why are such measures not require it for EVERYBODY in the United States that gets married?  Doesn't common sense dictate that a government would want to protect it's own citizens to the same extent it protects its immigrants?

Just a hypothetical question, do you think their "odds" of becoming an "abused woman" are higher in the USA than in the FSU?  Something to think about. 

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Wanders-No-More

Well... when all people lived in small villages... before big cities like Ur, everybody knew everybody, so hiding one's past was not an option. I think we each need to live our lives as though this is still true... especially since technology is capable of re-creating that sort of familiarity.

On the practical side... balancing government budgets and creating agencies to enforce such laws seem mutually exclusive.

Still... isn't there ultimately some sort of vetting done when it comes time go marry? And, if people want to flirt online anonymously, well... if both parties agree, why not?

As for me... I won't have anything serious going on until after I meet a woman in real life!
I want to be a part of what I consider to be the ineveitable and desireable partnership, on many levels, between Russia (and FSU) and the USA. In doing so, I want to meet friends here, and to find a wife from Russia/FSU. I am tired of spoiled, ignorant American women... though I have loved some! :) Also, I am trying to learn the Russian language... I could be helped by an intelligent woman to write to and talk to. I plan to visit Russia this summer... 2011.

Offline anyuta34

Offline Manny

We are going to lock this topic for now and move the discussion over to the new topic here: The Russian Bride Business is Dead! The Report: Death of the Russian Bride in light of Andrewfi's new report in order that we can keep the discussion in one place.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........