The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cost of living in Ukraine  (Read 149998 times)

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: The Cost Of Living In Ukraine 2010
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
Rasputin, what's the English for the kotlety? I am not quite sure things like this are eaten in the West. Chops?

Porkchops?

No, pork chops are slices of meat. The cutlets are a combination of ground meat (though there are vegetarian cutlets) and other ingredients.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2010, 12:14:19 PM »
Rasputin, what's the English for the kotlety? I am not quite sure things like this are eaten in the West. Chops?

Porkchops?

Nyet. They are grounded meat (beef, chicken, pork or any combination) and made to look like a big meatball.

My outlaws have chickens and geese, not to mention that their approx 1 hectare of land is cultivated to the hilt. During the summer they barter some their crops and fowl for other essentials. They are set for the winter.

Offline ecocks

• Always willing to help.
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
So much for the claim that the "average" person is eating $300 a month in food.

The actual claimed figure from 2 people (1 in Russia the other in San Francisco) was that the average is $400 but they eventually backed off to the $300 mark.

My wife serves fish 2-3 times a week although when I do the shopping it's more like 4-5 times to add protein. Pork steaks, sausage, chicken and kolbasa when we could find decent quality. Eggs, kasha, pirogi, vareniks, potatoes, black bread and American style pancakes whenever they can.

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:40 PM »

My wife and I together spend less than $300 a month on food for the two of us, and this includes lots of fruit, meat, cheese, etc... We spend on average $150-$160 dining out per month  :popcorn:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline ecocks

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »

My wife and I together spend less than $300 a month on food for the two of us, and this includes lots of fruit, meat, cheese, etc... We spend on average $150-$160 dining out per month  :popcorn:

Exactly what my wife says.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:27 AM »
Cutlets.
The thing is I have never (or hardly ever) heard or seen this word used by native speakers. Are cutlets actually cooked in the West? It looks like even if they are they are not popular.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline MND

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:40 AM »
Cutlets.
The thing is I have never (or hardly ever) heard or seen this word used by native speakers. Are cutlets actually cooked in the West? It looks like even if they are they are not popular.

They are eaten alot in Australia we call them patties or rissoles cutlets to us are what we would call chops (small cuts of meat still with some bone left Pork or Lamb) .

Offline kievstar

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
I just spent two weeks in Ukraine and overall prices a lot less this year than last and some things like buying apartments back to 1990's levels. 

Food, clothing apartments, taxis were all cheaper than 2009.  You can find some things higher like bread (but that is drought related maybe) but overall dirt cheap.

I was surprised on how cheap everything was and wifey and I loaded up on clothes and started the process of buying a couple of houses with land for 90% less than 2009 prices.  People are hungry in Ukraine and the economy is a mess.  Top 5% making all the money does not work in Ukraine.  People and stores selling everything they have at huge discounts right now.

Crime is way up in Ukraine and many people are killing / stealing from each other.  Several taxi cab drivers were killed recently for their car and cash.  Smaller branches of banks are closing so if you send moneygram or western union make sure the person picks it up within 24 hours.  Several big car dealerships went bankrupt during August. 

I did see that the number of men looking for women was way up.  I also noticed the women they were with were a lot older.  Seems men are getting a little smarter and serious and going for women more mature.  Good thing to see. 

A lot of construction going on for 2012 Euro cup.  I was in each of the Euro 2012 cities and construction on target.  Many new hotels.  Look to see hotel room rates decrease right after Euro 2012 and no longer have to do the dreaded apartment rental for the men who like the 4 star hotels with free breakfast for $80 usd a night plus free high speed internet.  But hotel prices will not drop until after Euro 2012. 

Was a great trip over all. 

For the people who want to have a business in Ukraine now is the time to do it.  The opportunities of the 1990's are back. 

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »
MIL probably makes the best cutlets ever, but wife, aunts and cousins do also. MIL does especially well with pork and wife with chicken.

Beef cutlets have been around for awhile but according to legend, chicken cutlets were first created when Tsar Nicholas I stopped at Pozharsky's tavern in Torzhok (once a popular stopover for travelers journeying between Moscow and St. Petersburg) to enjoy Pozharsky's famous veal cutlets. The tavern owner had run out of veal so he used chicken instead. The legend goes that the Tsar enjoyed them so much that chicken cutlets were eventually included in the Royal menu.

To lend credence to the story, Alexandar Pushkin is said to have penned a letter to his friend Sobolevski which included the line:

“Take a break for lunch
At Pozharky’s in Torzhok.
Try fried cutlets
And enjoy your day.”

Usually made of chopped meat I've heard them described as отбивная котлета and some chicken cutlets are described as котлета по-киевски (Chicken Kiev).

RUA Russian/Ukrainian cutlets recipes: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,3495.msg119827.html#msg119827

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Cutlets.

Do you mean native Russian or native English?
I think the word might be used more by the English than by the Americans?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2010, 03:05:12 PM »
If he means Americans then he is absolutely correct. As popular as it would seem that say, Chicken Kiev, is around the world, since it's not served at McDonalds many Americans under the age of 45 may have seldom heard the term or experienced the delight.

Offline ecocks

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2010, 11:10:55 PM »
I've heard the word before growing up in the states. It's just a bit old-fashioned in that no one here uses it much anymore.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 12:50:33 AM »
Cutlets.

Cutlets are popular as chicken cutlets or breaded or unbreaded veal cutlets.  They are available in the meat department in western Canada.  I've also seen them in the meat departments in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Honolulu and several other cities in the western US states.  They're popular because they're easy to cook.  You can simply bake them in the oven, don't forget to turn them over about half way through the baking.  They can also be pan fried on the stove.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »
Ok here's some actual prices, as of yesterday for general food items in Western Ukraine, compared to 2 years ago. They are compared to 2 years ago as it is easier for us to relate to that periiod when my wife was buying the same/similar items every day, so I know they are pretty accurate.

Prices are all in Grivnah  UAH

Product               Price Today    Price 2 years ago
1 litre juice           9.80                   5.70
Yoghurts               6.90                  5.00
Loaf of bread        3.09                  1.35
Cherry liquers
(157gms)              22.25                12.00
Mayonnaise          4.15                   1.90
Cheese spread     19.60                10.00
Litre water            3.70                  1.20

Others

Petrol / litre           7.80                  5.40 ish
Orbit chewing
gum                      3.40                  1.20
Georgian wine
per bottle             70.00                45 - 50UAH

Meal for 4 with
beer                     700.00               280.00
(this is actual, this meal we had at the same restaurant (Carpathian Mountains) this time with beer, last time with wine which is dearer)

Overall prices for general food products have increased significantly, whilst wages are actually dropping. This compounds the problem.

We visited my wife's last employer Chernivtsi TV and Radio a couple of days ago and although the business is doing reasonably well, the owner has stopped paying all bonuses and extra hours, so in effect the main staff are earning a lot less now than they were even a year ago. So general food stuffs rising and wages dropping is compounding the problem for the average man/women/family.

I will check on  clothing etc` if and when I get time.

Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
OK clothes then, whilst out shopping today  :sick0012: with Ira I noticed nearly every clothes shop we entered had a 20% - 70% discount offer, but interestingly, NO shoe shops had any offers at all  ???

It amazes me how whenevr she tries on a 6 (European 36) over here it fits her well, whilst back in the UK a UK 6 very rarely fits (or only fits where it touches  :chuckle: ) and an 8 usually swamps her. They are just a different better shape over in the FSU  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline dazzer

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 09:53:32 AM »
Ok here's some actual prices, as of yesterday for general food items in Western Ukraine, compared to 2 years ago. They are compared to 2 years ago as it is easier for us to relate to that periiod when my wife was buying the same/similar items every day, so I know they are pretty accurate.

Cherry liquers

Others

Orbit chewing
Georgian wine

Meal for 4 with
(this is actual, this meal we had at the same restaurant (Carpathian Mountains) this time with beer, last time with wine which is dearer)

Overall prices for general food products have increased significantly, whilst wages are actually dropping. This compounds the problem.

Chris, given the amount the cost of food has gone up in Ukraine I'm seriously thinking of taking my own butty's next time i go tiphat
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
Not good!

If the government is crazy enough to enact pricecontrol you can expect big shortages and a huge black market!
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline MND

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
OK clothes then, whilst out shopping today  :sick0012: with Ira I noticed nearly every clothes shop we entered had a 20% - 70% discount offer, but interestingly, NO shoe shops had any offers at all  ???

It amazes me how whenevr she tries on a 6 (European 36) over here it fits her well, whilst back in the UK a UK 6 very rarely fits (or only fits where it touches  :chuckle: ) and an 8 usually swamps her. They are just a different better shape over in the FSU  :-X

Hey mate check the price per kilo of the meat as well Nat says that has also gone up quite a bit.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »

Chris it does make sense if you think about it.  She was born and raised in Ukraine so it's only natural that Ukrainian clothes would fit her best.  I'm sure if you took a woman born and raised in the UK to Ukraine she would have the same problem.  Ukrainian clothes would be a poor fit and UK clothes would fit her perfectly.   :)
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
Well, we all know what you get if you just print money

Price of 3 eggs

a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline kievstar

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 04:03:24 PM »
Chris, do you have the prices from 2009 as 2008 the crisis caused everything to be very cheap in 2008.  Might be better to compare to 2006. 

Offline Chris

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »

Cherry liquers

Others

Orbit chewing
Georgian wine

Meal for 4 with

Chris, given the amount the cost of food has gone up in Ukraine I'm seriously thinking of taking my own butty's next time i go tiphat

Start preparing now Dazzer  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2010, 01:05:03 AM »

Hey mate check the price per kilo of the meat as well Nat says that has also gone up quite a bit.

I would Mark, but I'm done with shopping now, hate it at best, but if I get dragged in another store I will see what I can find  :) But yes, most foods have gone up as far as I can see.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »

Chris it does make sense if you think about it.  She was born and raised in Ukraine so it's only natural that Ukrainian clothes would fit her best.  I'm sure if you took a woman born and raised in the UK to Ukraine she would have the same problem.  Ukrainian clothes would be a poor fit and UK clothes would fit her perfectly.   :)

Yes agreed Westy, you are probably right, although I know which way around I like it  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2010, 01:08:14 AM »
Chris, do you have the prices from 2009 as 2008 the crisis caused everything to be very cheap in 2008.  Might be better to compare to 2006. 

I could probably route some out, but its not as easy to remember what we were paying in 2009 as we weren't living here.

BTW I notice property prices are down quite a bit, its a buyers market over here, I am considering buying again, I put it off 2 years ago, but the timing might be right about now.
Слава Україні