The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Florist in Moscow ?  (Read 11139 times)

Offline clancyhound

• Spouses Country: Russia / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Florist in Moscow ?
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »
Can anyone suggest a reputable Florist in Moscow?

I am staying at a Metropol, prefer something close, or a shop who can deliver.  Need them delivered by 0500 if I don’t pick them up personally.

Thanks in advance.

Offline kerouac

Re: Florist in Moscow ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
I suggest the easiest thing to do is head to your nearest Metro on the day you need the flowers. There are sure to be several florists in and around the Metro. Russians love flowers so there are plenty of places to buy. I must pass at least 6 florists on my way to work every morning. I think flowers are the easiest thing to find in Moscow.

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:14:08 AM »
TY for the reply.

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
Another option besides the little stands that are selling flowers will be the babushkas who setup shop around the metro, but this is a seasonal affair.  Like Kerouac mentioned, finding flowers in Moscow will not be difficult as the staff at the hotel will also be able to point out where the nearest flower stand is located.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »

I am staying at a Metropol, prefer something close, or a shop who can deliver. 

Need them delivered by 0500 if I don’t pick them up personally.

Kerouac, skiingandrunning, you really expect a guy who will stay at Metropol (!!!) to do such a disgraceful action as leaving the airconditionned and security watched hotel at 5 in the morning, moving his noble feet for about 300 meters to the nearest subway crossing and buying the flowers from the kiosk:ROFL:

It's obvious he's a 5* type who's used to florists and deliveries...  (:)
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
No Olga, more the type of guy who never visited Moscow before and is making sure that he knows what needs to be done to get flowers.
So I ask a question, I thought that’s what these forums were for.

Ya see, I’m American and if I wanted to go out in my home town of Chicago and buy flowers at 0500, there is nowhere to buy them.

I hope one day you are able to visit Chicago and I can answer your questions with such sarcasm.

Ok - I’m staying at the biggest dump in Moscow - is that better?

And my house in America is always at 67 F – because I’m American and I like it. (thats right I said Fahrenheit  not Celcius)
If you like to boil, that’s your choice.

Some of you people physco-analyse to death, it gets old.
But it’s fun to watch the dis-function. 

lol

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
And my house in America is always at 67 F – because I’m American and I like it. (thats right I said Fahrenheit  not Celcius)

That's 19.5 Celsius for the rest of us.  :chuckle:

Russian women will love your house being so warm.  :nod:

I am opening windows at that temperature.............

I was in Russia recently at 37c (98ish in f). I almost evaporated.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »

Russian women will love your house being so warm.  :nod:

lol - Thanks Manny

Offline chivo

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:21:28 AM »
No Olga, more the type of guy who never visited Moscow before and is making sure that he knows what needs to be done to get flowers.
So I ask a question, I thought that’s what these forums were for.

Ya see, I’m American and if I wanted to go out in my home town of Chicago and buy flowers at 0500, there is nowhere to buy them.

I hope one day you are able to visit Chicago and I can answer your questions with such sarcasm.

Ok - I’m staying at the biggest dump in Moscow - is that better?

If you like to boil, that’s your choice.

Some of you people physco-analyse to death, it gets old.
But it’s fun to watch the dis-function. 

lol

At the risk of psycho analyzing your post I was going to ask why at 5am? My guess is your lady's train gets in at that time, or there abouts. While there are a lot of places to get flowers, at 5am it might be a problem. The train station will be the best possibility at that time, but no guarantee.

Moscow's a 24 hr city but that's mostly for partying :smokin:. There are some 24hr florist, but they're few and far between.

If you have more time I can tell you where to go where they have the best selection/quality and price. Very easy to find, even for a rookie like yourself. Less than an hour roundtrip from the "sh**hole" you're staying at :chuckle:  :).

Actually The Metropol is very nice and located right across the street from The Bolshoi. ;D 

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:36:15 AM »
chivo

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.   

You are correct, her flight into Domodedovo is scheduled to arrive at 0740. If I’m able to secure the flowers at 0500 ish, this leaves plenty of time to get to the airport and not have to race against the clock, I would imagine that the traffic in Moscow will be like any major city, the earlier I leave the better, morning traffic can be very difficult.

You also hit the other nail on the head - we are going to the Bolshoi, the hotel location is ideal - it is the reason it was chosen.

I’ll send a PM to inquire as to where the shop you mention is located.

If I can be of any assistance to you at any time, please do not hesitate to make contact, I will do my best to be helpful.

Thank You for your time.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:41:44 AM »
Clancyhound, both of you will love the Bolshoi!

Good luck on the meeting and hope you meet your timelines successfully.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:24:09 AM »

You are correct, her flight into Domodedovo is scheduled to arrive at 07:40. If I’m able to secure the flowers at 05:00 ish, this leaves plenty of time to get to the airport and not have to race against the clock,

Then why not buying flowers directly at the airport?  ???

http://www.domodedovo.ru/ru/main/shopping/2/

As to the choice and design, maybe the airport is not the best place in Moscow to buy flowers - but I doubt they have anything better in Chelyabinsk anyway...

I would imagine that the traffic in Moscow will be like any major city, the earlier I leave the better, morning traffic can be very difficult.

I am not sure about any other major cities, but in Moscow morning traffic is directed FROM suburbs INTO the center. You will be going FROM the center OUTSIDE of the city. Approx. 50 minutes drive; 1 hour 30 max.

You also hit the other nail on the head - we are going to the Bolshoi, the hotel location is ideal - it is the reason it was chosen.

I presume you're going to see the Bolshoi's troupe performing in another building?  :innocent: Because Bolshoi is closed for renovation till somewhere in 2011...  (:)

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/theatre/reconstruction/

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »

Then why not buying flowers directly at the airport?  ???

http://www.domodedovo.ru/ru/main/shopping/2/

As to the choice and design, maybe the airport is not the best place in Moscow to buy flowers - but I doubt they have anything better in Chelyabinsk or Ufa anyway...

Perfect - The information I need. Thank You

I am not sure about any other major cities, but in Moscow morning traffic is directed FROM suburbs INTO the center. You will be going FROM the center OUTSIDE of the city. Approx. 50 minutes drive; 1 hour 30 max.

The worst thing I could do is presume anything with traffic.

Thanks Again for information - it is much appreciated.

I presume you're going to see the Bloshoi's troupe performing in another building?  :innocent: Because Bolshoi is closed for renovation till somewhere in 2011...  (:)

http://www.bolshoi.ru/ru/theatre/reconstruction/

Where ever they are preforming, I have no question that it will be amazing. I was impressed with the Opera in Chelyabinsk, this should be even grander, where ever it may be.

Looks like another trip will have to be planned fir 2011, actually very good news.

The renovated Bolshoi and a MIG-29 flight in Nizhny Novgorodshould make the 2nd trip interesting.

But really, the Bolshoi, the Kremlin is just a backdrop, I look most forward to spending time with the most interesting women I have met in many many many years.

Again Olga - Thank You for the information - it is most helpful.

Wishing you the best.

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »
Clancyhound, both of you will love the Bolshoi!

Good luck on the meeting and hope you meet your timelines successfully.

mendeleyev

Your tour of the Kremlin post here in RUA will make our touring of the area intersting, she has been to Moscow, I think the information in your tour post  will allow her to see the Kremlin with a new eye. 
Sometimes the ordinary becomes bland if not looked at with a new eye.

I'm not particularly impressed with Chicago, but having lived here for many years, it can become "ordinary", you can appreciate a city's beauty and history when you have guests and you can see it in a new light. You can once again see the history and beauty in the ordinary.

Your posts on touring Moscow are the most detailed and knowledgeable posts that can be found anywhere.

Your time put into these is greatly appreciated!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
Thank you.  :)

Olga is right that the original Bolshoi is still closed, possibly even to 2013 for re-opening. Seems that the Soviet era renovations did more damage than originally thought, undermining the foundation strength by about 75%, so more time will be needed.

However the "New Stage" of the Bolshoi, at the same complex, is hosting events and some are also being held in the Kremlin terrority at the Kremlin Palace & Palace of Congresses at the Kremlin.

The Bolshoi "New Stage" is closed until 14 September when performances begin with the limited 6 day world premier of "Creation 10" of which tickets may already be sold out--none seem to be available now thru the theatre box office. However, you might try this link as they seem to have tickets: http://www.bolshoimoscow.com/index.html?sid=B8o3D86QQ37zK1e8R21G&perfomance=2808&page=catalog&play_date_from=01-Sep-2010&play_date_to=30-Sep-2010&playbills=12742

I don't know much about that link, so investigate before purchasing.

On 22 September, production of "Esmeralda" begins and at this point tickets are available at the box office. September also promises two days of "Swan Lake" and then "Boris Godunov" which would be fantastic for some interesting Russian history!

Here is the box office link in English: http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/buy/box-office/

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
Regarding your PM about restaurants in the area, here is a good tool:

http://www.moscowcity.com/restaurants/restaurants.htm

Search by either location or Metro station.

Search locations by: Kremlin, Red Square, Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow Operetta,

Search Metro stations by: Ploschad Revolutsii, Teatralnaya, Okhotny Ryad, Kuznetsky Most, Lubyanka, Novokuznetskaya, and Kitai-Gorod.

A sampling of suggestions to research:
Fun, ethnic yet still upscale: we've enjoyed the Uzbekistan Restaurant nearby at Neglinnaya St., 29/14; Phone 7-095-9230585.  

Romantic location and impressive wine collection: A very nice date spot is the Grillage (http://www.grillage.ru/), very near the Kremlin at Pyatnitskaya St., 1. Closest metro station is: Novokuznetskaya

Stunning view of Kremlin at night: The restaurant at Hotel Baltschug, located at Baltschug Ul. 1, Metro station Novokuznetskaya. http://www.kempinski-moscow.com  (Sunday brunch to die for!)

Excellent decor and food: Noah's Ark Armenian restaurant at Maly Ivanovsky Lane, 9, in China Town (Kitai-Gorod) at the Kitai-Gorod metro station. You won't see many Chinese folks however as this is an ancient Moscow trading and business district, not a residential area. Great lamb, fish, beef, etc. Famous for Oriental sweets, cognacs and Armenian wines.

Great history and food: Godunov Restaurant is located at 5,Teatralnaya Square, on the opposite side from the Bolshoi Theatre, near the Metropol hotel and a stones throw away from Red Square. In the middle Ages this building was part of Zaikonospassky Monastery, built in 1600, during the rule of Boris Godunov.

Of course the Arbat area is close by via Metro and there are lots of good places to eat there. Everyone should at least once in life dine at Cafe Pushkin just to say you've done it. Cafe Pushkin is upscale. The “right” address. Its easy to find in the very centre of Moscow, a few steps from Tverskaya Street and not far from such sights as the Museum of Oriental Art, Pushkin Square, and Pushkin Theatre.

More restaurants here: http://www.russkaya-storona.ru/moscow/restaurants/

I'm certain that other members will have some great suggestions, too.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
Regarding your PM about restaurants in the area, here is a good tool:

http://www.moscowcity.com/restaurants/restaurants.htm

Search by either location or Metro station.

Search locations by: Kremlin, Red Square, Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow Operetta,

Search Metro stations by: Ploschad Revolutsii, Teatralnaya, Okhotny Ryad, Kuznetsky Most, Lubyanka, Novokuznetskaya, and Kitai-Gorod.

A sampling of suggestions to research:
Fun, ethnic yet still upscale: we've enjoyed the Uzbekistan Restaurant nearby at Neglinnaya St., 29/14; Phone 7-095-9230585.  

Romantic location and impressive wine collection: A very nice date spot is the Grillage (http://www.grillage.ru/), very near the Kremlin at Pyatnitskaya St., 1. Closest metro station is: Novokuznetskaya

Stunning view of Kremlin at night: The restaurant at Hotel Baltschug, located at Baltschug Ul. 1, Metro station Novokuznetskaya. http://www.kempinski-moscow.com  (Sunday brunch to die for!)

Excellent decor and food: Noah's Ark Armenian restaurant at Maly Ivanovsky Lane, 9, in China Town (Kitai-Gorod) at the Kitai-Gorod metro station. You won't see many Chinese folks however as this is an ancient Moscow trading and business district, not a residential area. Great lamb, fish, beef, etc. Famous for Oriental sweets, cognacs and Armenian wines.

Great history and food: Godunov Restaurant is located at 5,Teatralnaya Square, on the opposite side from the Bolshoi Theatre, near the Metropol hotel and a stones throw away from Red Square. In the middle Ages this building was part of Zaikonospassky Monastery, built in 1600, during the rule of Boris Godunov.

Of course the Arbat area is close by via Metro and there are lots of good places to eat there. Everyone should at least once in life dine at Cafe Pushkin just to say you've done it. Cafe Pushkin is upscale. The “right” address. Its easy to find in the very centre of Moscow, a few steps from Tverskaya Street and not far from such sights as the Museum of Oriental Art, Pushkin Square, and Pushkin Theatre.

More restaurants here: http://www.russkaya-storona.ru/moscow/restaurants/

I'm certain that other members will have some great suggestions, too.

Just out of curiosity Mendy do any of the Moscow restaurants that you've visited offer service in English or at least an English language menu?  Even in Paris I can get an English language menu at an increasing number of restaurants.  In other countries in Europe it is even more common.   
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
Most of these class will have either an English menu available and some may have dual language menus--very fashionable these days at better places. If not, it shouldn't be difficult for a waiter, or one of his associates, to find someone close by to assist with ordering translation.

When all else fails, live with anticipation and excitement by allowing the lady to order for you!  :)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 11:37:31 PM »
Here is a cool map of Moscow Centre. It shows practically all we've written about, including your hotel, the Bolshoi Theatre, the Kremlin area, etc. I've left it small so that it can be printed as large as possible.

ila_rendered

Offline chivo

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 01:00:18 AM »
Of course the Arbat area is close by via Metro and there are lots of good places to eat there.
Yes, a definite must see. Take a gypsy taxi though from the Metropol, 150-200ru will do the trick. You have to take this type of taxi while here, you'll enjoy the process.

Everyone should at least once in life dine at Cafe Pushkin just to say you've done it.
No. Way, way overrated. Do yourself a favor and skip it.

Just out of curiosity Mendy do any of the Moscow restaurants that you've visited offer service in English or at least an English language menu?  Even in Paris I can get an English language menu at an increasing number of restaurants.  In other countries in Europe it is even more common.  
Yes. Moscow is easily the most English friendly city in Russia.

Offline Olga_Mouse

Restaurants in Moscow
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 03:14:22 AM »
Chivo: +1  :nod:

Oh yes... that's where I got the second best food poisoning (first was due to McDrive french fries in 2002) in my life back in 2005 - after ordering a borsch that has cost me 9 EUR  :sick0012:

Will never order anything else there but a still water (provided they'll open the bottle in front of me!) or black tea...  >:(

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 09:51:43 AM »

Noah's Ark was good.  I had a soup that I just couldn't finish.  The broth had a flavor I just couldn't get past.  Forgot what it's called. It had pieces of lamb in it, but those had the flavor of the broth . . .  

I did enjoy the rest of the dishes in the meal.  It was a good experience.

I was treated for my birthday at the Amazonia Club, on Strastnoy, I think.  REALLY NICE!   ;D  don't know if it's still there.   The dance floor was quite an experience.   ;D   ;D

-david

Offline clancyhound

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
Yes it does seem the main stage at the Bolshoi is closed - I reserved tickets at the beginning of July for Iolanta on Oct 2nd at  the New Hall, starts at midnight - never been to a show that late - should be interesting!

Thanks for all the suggestions of restaurants to try when we are in Moscow. It will be a tough choice, but I'm sure any of the highly recommended establishments will be well worth the time.

Everyones posts are greatly appreciated.

Offline kerouac

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 02:07:28 AM »
I've been to Noah's Ark a couple of times (http://www.noevkovcheg.ru/en/_online/. The food and service is good. But what makes it great is the building and decor.

I wouldn't advise taking a Gypsy cab unless you know what you're doing. There are now plenty of affordable taxis in the city.

Have a great one. I think you'll enjoy the Russian ballet whatever building it's in.

Offline chivo

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »
I wouldn't advise taking a Gypsy cab unless you know what you're doing. There are now plenty of affordable taxis in the city.

Stop the paranoia, nothing is going to happen if they walk out across the street from the Metropol and flag a car. Well other than get a ride to the Arbat. (:)

I use to do it before I moved here and I have done about who knows, at least 500 times. Yes by myself without mommy ;D

Regular taxi's are OK, but you have to wait and the prices will usually be more especially for shorter distances to make it worth their while. It's literally a 5 minute ride to the Arbat from that point. People it's time to stop being afraid to come to Russia and live like the locals, the bogeyman doesn't live here.

Enjoy the flavor.

Registration