The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Need Advise  (Read 1931 times)

Offline 4passionandlove

Need Advise
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:29:31 AM »
OK, I meet a great lady this spring. She has been trying to get a tourist visa to visit me even though I knew her chances were slim. She got rejected because they claim her to be a flight risk. Since last spring, I started my own mortgage company. Great timing I know. I have concerns that if we apply for a k1 visa, I might be rejected because of my work situation. What advise do the more expired members have for me.
Thanks

Offline marishka

Re: Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
I have concerns that if we apply for a k1 visa, I might be rejected because of my work situation. What advise do the more expired members have for me.
Thanks
They can't really reject your K1, unless you make mistakes filing the paperwork. If you can provide your affidavit of support and if you can show your relationship is not a fraud, she should be able to get her K1.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »
 Marishka, he is asking about being rejected because his job is no longer a viable income. He works in the mortgage (home loan) industry which is not a very stable job right now because the U.S. is in the middle of a major housing slump...not many people are buying new homes. The ones that are buying are having a hard time getting a loan because of stricter lending policies. It's a BIG problem here right now, and it's ruining our economy.

4passion,

You might want to slow things down a bit and not go the K-1 route until your income situation improves, you have to think about this woman too, you will be supporting her. Do you have the means to do this? If not than you should think about how you can, maybe a new source of employment might be the answer. The truth is hard to hear sometimes, but you have to be honest with yourself, and think about the future of this woman too, this is a major, life changing event in her life, don't screw it up!  ;)

Offline marishka

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »
Marishka, he is asking about being rejected because his job is no longer a viable income.
Got it. It's not a problem if he can find a co-signer. My husband didn't have any income when he applied for our K1. His mom co-signed.

Offline Turboguy

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
a co-signer is the best/ bet.   The I-134 is not worth the paper is is written on so through the first stage the co-signer would have no risk.   At AOS that one is binding so it is better to try to get your income up prior to that point.   Do you have some family or good friends that would co-sign for you?

The requirement is 125% of the poverty level.  I forget exactly what that works out to now but it is $ 17,000 and change.   That is what you would have to make to do it without a co-signer.   Could a part time job get you up where you need to be?

Offline marishka

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 12:58:40 PM »
   At AOS that one is binding so it is better to try to get your income up prior to that point. 
Even for AOS he can use a co-signer (if there's a person willing to help him). We did. It's not the greatest of the situaitions, but we didn't have a choice.  :innocent:

Offline DonA

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:33:02 PM »
if you can show some substantial asserts, such as large equity in a home stocks, etc. That you help too. I know a guy with no income but major assets  and he sailed through without a hitch.

DonAz