The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

What is the best option to pursue a woman from the FSU

WOVO is the way to go
9 (17%)
WMVM is the way to go
7 (13.2%)
WMVO is the way to go
6 (11.3%)
WMVF (F=few) is the way to go
5 (9.4%)
You should go with the method that fits your situation and your personality
19 (35.8%)
Stay out of the FSU all the women there are EVIL !!!!!
1 (1.9%)
Go to the FSU as on a vacation if you meet someone then you meet someone
1 (1.9%)
Take one of those tours
0 (0%)
Lie, lie and lie some more, FSUW are not smart enough to figure it out
0 (0%)
different option that Bill didn't put up here
0 (0%)
another different option that Bill didn't put up here
0 (0%)
Bill has finally proven what everyone has known for quite some time. BILL is an idiot!!!! what does he know?
1 (1.9%)
I love Bill
2 (3.8%)
I will explain
1 (1.9%)
WNVM write none option
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: WOVO, WMVM, WMVO, WMVF (few) which is best?  (Read 14129 times)

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: WOVO, WMVM, WMVO, WMVF (few) which is best?
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
Moby,

Let me get this straight.  You are stating that the only FSU woman you wrote or emailed was your wife?  That you only chose and answered one profile?

In that case you are unique like people who win the lottery on buying their first ticket.

Congratulations  :party0031:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2010, 02:51:16 AM »
Moby,

Let me get this straight.  You are stating that the only FSU woman you wrote or emailed was your wife?  That you only chose and answered one profile?

In that case you are unique like people who win the lottery on buying their first ticket.

Congratulations  :party0031:

Hi Leslied, of course not..!

I did WMVM, first - MAJOR headache  ( for me ) - too many 'choices' .. but I learnt  a lot about the FSU ..

then WFVO  ( refining the technique )

and then WOVO ( the 'last' campaign !)  

I did take four years.. and it came down to the timing - we happened to be single, on the same site and I was the only guy who it seems WASN'T lining up 'loadsa dates' ..( she placed candidates who did that in the 'round file')    Neither of us were using agencies - I never did, as it happens.

BTW: I chose the "You should go with the method that fits your situation and your personality" option..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online sparky114

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 06:42:49 AM »
Do not write to any of them, coz if you cant make up your mind on what style you are able to follow then this pursuit is not for you  (:)

Man up and think and do only what you can achieve / afford to many players on the field makes this a tough game. :coffeeread:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
I still can't believe we haven't gotten at least a token
"All RW are evil vote"
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
Moby,

Let me get this straight.  You are stating that the only FSU woman you wrote or emailed was your wife?  That you only chose and answered one profile?

Congratulations  :party0031:

Hi Leslied, of course not..!

I did WMVM, first - MAJOR headache  ( for me ) - too many 'choices' .. but I learnt  a lot about the FSU ..

then WFVO  ( refining the technique )

and then WOVO ( the 'last' campaign !)  

I did take four years.. and it came down to the timing - we happened to be single, on the same site and I was the only guy who it seems WASN'T lining up 'loadsa dates' ..( she placed candidates who did that in the 'round file')    Neither of us were using agencies - I never did, as it happens.

BTW: I chose the "You should go with the method that fits your situation and your personality" option..

Ahem, I wrote only to my wife. Well, the agency took my first email and gave it to two ladies; change my wife's name for the name of another woman not knowing they knew each other. I had no clue of this until years after.

However, this is prehistory. A lot has changed since. Women are more jaded. Today, I can see an initial writing campaign to weed out some candidates.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
"All RW are evil vote"

We just don't want to scare off the newbies and want them to find out the hard way what we know for certain by marrying one of those evil RW.

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
Turbo on my last dozen polls I included the question.
In 100% of them somebody voted for the option.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline leeholsen

• Houston-NASA, the oil biz+too much country+western
    • Loveland Ski Area
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »

What about the WMVFAT - write many, visit few all talk.

thats the strategy i've had, but its not my fault. my mooma bird hasnt kicked me off the tree to go find the misses yet(i guess i'm a blame passer too.)  :)
Eat 'em up Houston Cougars !

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2010, 10:49:01 PM »
everything happens at the right time  :biggrin:

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 04:51:49 AM »
"All RW are evil vote"
Ah, I see  you now have that vote for evil.  I am glad there is one all knowing person with the wizdom of Solomon to vote for the truth against all us demented, misguided fools. 

Just think of all the money, time, heartbreak and train wrecks that could have been avoided if all of us had been believers in WNVN.   American women aren't so bad anyway and it is easy to get twice as much woman for your money.

Offline bobt333

• Commercial member
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
I voted for WMVO. My second favorite is WNVM. But my REAL favorite, which was not an option, is WM, narrow to one, VO, then quickly convert on the fly to WNVM if the "one" falls apart... Let's not do an acronym :-)

This seems to cover all the bases.

To me one thing that seems underemphasized in this discussion (I'm not sure I saw it at all) is the perspective of the Russian women in all these approaches.

From the Russian women with whom I've communicated over the past five years it sounds like a virtually universally accepted reality that most self-respecting Russian women serious about meeting their future mate will not be very understanding of him visiting other women during a trip to see her, whether he's written her before or not.

One agency owner told me that when she contacts one of her Russian women clients to inform her that a man saw her profile and wants to meet her, the woman client nearly always asks, "How many other women is he meeting?" The answer largely determines whether or not she will agree to a meeting.

But it's MUCH worse if a woman has spent any significant time and effort communicating with a prospect and developing a relationship with him.

Any approach CAN work, and I know success stories from WNVM and WMVO, and even group tours, AND, of course, I believe that depending on one's definitions, the "best" approach is the one that best fits one's character and temperament. But based on my observations I believe that women (at least women seriously seeking a husband) are hard-wired against sharing a man's attention, and any approach that violates that reality is running against the odds (which sometimes does work out).

The primary argument I read against this approach is simply the logistics for the man... limited vacation, limited finances, limited travel opportunity, etc., and the risks of an expensive bad "blind date". I DEFINITELY get that. Actually, I LIVE IT. So I am sympathetic to the challenge, but it does not alter the reality mentioned above (that women are hard-wired to NOT share a man's attention).

SO, this is why I now prefer WMVO (or WFVO... same concept really), but when making that trip to visit her, I also like to have the phone numbers of a few agencies in the city of the lady I'm visiting, and mabye a short list of women from their agencies that I might like to meet if things with my main lady go badly.

I personally feel that this alternate preparation should be minimal, otherwise it could end up sabbotaging the relationship with #1... Maybe your planning for alternatives gets you a little more interested in those alternatives, and maybe #1 detects this and begins to feel something "isn't right", and causes her to withdraw, which causes you to feel maybe #2 is a better choice anyway, etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Bob

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
Bob,

I believe you are exactly correct. Many men who do the WMVM approach then complain of the high percentage of scammers and pro daters they meet, never connecting the dots that so many ladies who are serious would normally not go for that approach at all.

By no means is that true for all of them, but I have seen many cases over the past decade where potentially good relationships have been sabotaged by the lady discovering she was one of many.

Besides, with the typically short vacation time of many Americans, trying to cram many different ladies into a fairly short stay in country means that for none of them is there enough time to truly learn much of each other. Those with limited time may be better off to engage in a more lengthy communication before going to visit in the attempt to do a bit more preparation to know if there is a genuine mutual interest worth pursuing. Today, with resources like Skype, that is far easier than ever before.

David

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »
I personally feel that this alternate preparation should be minimal, otherwise it could end up sabbotaging the relationship with #1... Maybe your planning for alternatives gets you a little more interested in those alternatives, and maybe #1 detects this and begins to feel something "isn't right", and causes her to withdraw, which causes you to feel maybe #2 is a better choice anyway, etc.

Well you get my vote for a 'sound' analysis and conclusion...Good luck with your 'pursuing'..!

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »
By no means is that true for all of them, but I have seen many cases over the past decade where potentially good relationships have been sabotaged by the lady discovering she was one of many.

I think everyones opinion about this is based on thier own disasters and successes but I don't see why a potentially good relationship would be sabotaged by the lady discovering she was one of many.   Yes, if you are meeting 3 women a day for a couple of weeks there are some women going to be highly turned off and may not meet the guy but if you are spending enough time to get to know a woman why does it even have to be discussed?   I made a lot of trips where I was meeting a few women and rarely found it neccessary to discuss that with any of the women I met. 

When you have had a few disasterous trips where you were meeting one women then visiting more than one begins to look very good.   

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
Turbo, whilst I agree that you can't totally KNOW you are heading for a disastrous trip, you can really cut down the chances - if you have been honest with each other..and use all the modern comms facilities available

You KEEP mentioning that ladies shouldn't mind that they are part of a line up of many options during a VM trip... it is beginning to 'annoy' me  - as my wife did not want that and I respected that...  !

Those that didn't respect that didn't get to meet her and thank goodness for that.. as I arrived on the scene after a couple of eligible colonial cousins had the same attitude as you and she figured it out and said 'thanks but no thanks'...  

I feel you might be inferring that this attitude from the lady infers some sort of 'flaw' (apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree!)

THERE is no right way.. just what is right for YOU both !

EDIT: I quickly found VM trips were disasters for me, as the time constraints and choices did my head in :)

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »
Moby, I don't think a woman who objects to meeting someone who is meeting other women has a flaw.  That is a choice they are making and have every right to feel that way. 

Moby, I met a fair number of women over the years and I can recall very few instances where they asked me if I was meeting other women.   I never felt it was necessary to volunteer that information if they didn't ask.  The only time I can recall a woman even knowing I was meeting others was my wife.  She knew exactly what I was doing and I am sure she would have prefered that I was just meeting her but she also knew of some of the really bad experiences I had with VO trips.  I flat out was never ever under any conditions doing another unless it was because I was making a trip that was so short that I only had time to meet one.

When I made a trip I would usually spend from 2 to 5 days with a woman and tell her if we hit it off I would make a long trip to visit just her and spend as much time as we needed.  The more potenial I thought a woman had the longer I would make her visit.  When you get there and find you have no chemistry or there is a major flaw sometimes 5 days can seem like a lifetime. 

I do think with the changes that have happened the odds of avoiding a bad VO trip are getting better.  With Skype and the like and more of the women having internet at home it is easier.  When I started there was virutally no internet in the FSU and snail mail was the way to go.  Even being able to use emails was a big plus.

It is a lot more romantic if you meet one wonderful woman somehow and go see her and have it work out to be the right person for you so I personally think anyone should do what they feel comfortable with.  If that is meeting one woman that is fine.  On the other hand think of it this way.  Out of 100 random women how many are going to be really right for someone.  Probably not that many.  If it was 1 out of 100 then would someone want to make 100 trips visiting one woman each trip?

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »
I think everyones opinion about this is based on thier own disasters and successes but I don't see why a potentially good relationship would be sabotaged by the lady discovering she was one of many.   Yes, if you are meeting 3 women a day for a couple of weeks there are some women going to be highly turned off and may not meet the guy but if you are spending enough time to get to know a woman why does it even have to be discussed?   I made a lot of trips where I was meeting a few women and rarely found it neccessary to discuss that with any of the women I met.  

When you have had a few disasterous trips where you were meeting one women then visiting more than one begins to look very good.  

I have seen several guys who were unable to narrow down the field.
In my opinion an indecisive guy shouldn't probably go on a VM trip.

If you meet Sally on date one and Betty on date two and Betty is
clearly better then why would you date Sally again? Even if things don't
work out between you and Sally, you need to find another Betty and not
waste time with Sally(s).

If you read two bits T/R or a lot of VM T/Rs then you see guys doing this
again and again. I did it, on a trip to St Pete and I did it once on a trip to
Kiev.

I would bet that the guys who got married from visit many trips can say
that absolutely there was something clearly better, different, more intriguing  
about the woman that they married than the rest of the Sallys.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Moby, I don't think a woman who objects to meeting someone who is meeting other women has a flaw.  That is a choice they are making and have every right to feel that way. 

Thanks, Turbo  tiphat

I met a fair number of women over the years and I can recall very few instances where they asked me if I was meeting other women.   I never felt it was necessary to volunteer that information if they didn't ask. 

We must be choosing different types of lady - because it was a Q I got asked - A LOT .. when I WAS visiting more than one ! ;)

When I made a trip I would usually spend from 2 to 5 days with a woman and tell her if we hit it off I would make a long trip to visit just her and spend as much time as we needed.  The more potenial I thought a woman had the longer I would make her visit.  When you get there and find you have no chemistry or there is a major flaw sometimes 5 days can seem like a lifetime. 

Sure, and I bore folk by saying that you might be stuck together and think ' oh crap' and we know a lady who  thought that on seeing her beau ( looked older) and ended up engaged and they are in their second year of a blissfully - happy marriage - you just never know  !

I do think with the changes that have happened the odds of avoiding a bad VO trip are getting better.  With Skype and the like and more of the women having internet at home it is easier.  When I started there was virutally no internet in the FSU and snail mail was the way to go.  Even being able to use emails was a big plus.

I started in 2002 and email was novel and SKYPE wasn't normally physically possible.. there shouldn't BE an excuse for a guy going to meet a lass and being shocked about how they look ...

Out of 100 random women how many are going to be really right for someone.  Probably not that many.  If it was 1 out of 100 then would someone want to make 100 trips visiting one woman each trip?

A wise guy has surely removed most of the 'random' ? ;)

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
Let me throw in a couple of experiences FWIW. Not mine but from UA women. I mentioned before I've visited UA a number of times for an extended period in which I've met a number of my wife's friends and family. We talked about marrying foreign men. Some have said they did consider it but decided against it. When I asked why they all agree that the WM were not really serious since they would never show up, AND those who would show up were just looking for sex. They all agree in their opinion that WM have a list of girls in different cities and they are just one more on the list. That is not their idea of establishing any trust in a relationship. Some said that they would consider a WM IF he was refered by a good friend and they cited my only attempt (successfully) at match making.

Keep in mind that this is just the opinion of 8 or 9 women from Kharkov ranging from 31 to 42 years of age.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »
Moby, it was very rare for it to be a problem where the girl did not look like I expected.  I can think of that happening once and that was on my very first trip back around 1994.  There may have been a few where they didn't like the way I looked but that is just a guess.

Here are a couple of examples.   There was one gal from Yekaterinburg that I wrote for about 2 years.   She was divorced and had a teen aged daughter and told me she moved there to get away from her ex who beat her and tried to kill her.  I attempted to meet her a few times when things went haywire and finally made it on my very last trip which was also the trip when I met my wife.   In all those years of writing, the subject of drinking never came up and I never thought to ask.  For a female of the species, she was the biggest drunk I have ever met.  I am a very light drinker and have no interest in a woman who drinks like she did.

Another was a gal right after my first K-1 failed.  I made a special trip to Nikolev to meet a lady I had only been writing for a month or so.  She had told me she had been married to a guy from England who just played video games all day and never worked.  Her photos were beautiful, actually she still pops up on the Elena's ad's over on the other forum some with the same photos.  I spent 5 days with the gal and she was the hardest person to talk to I ever met.  We just had absolutely no chemistry.  She wasn't nearly as pretty as the photos but that didn't bother me.  We spent 5 days trying to spend as little time together as possible and being as polite as we could to each other and I was really glad to leave.

Then there was the one that Tom knows.   I met her on the other forum. I had a trip to Russia with plans to meet 5 ladies including the one I mentioned from Yekaterinburg.  I told her as soon as that trip was over I would make a trip to Ukraine and meet her.  We were in hot and heavy correspondence and one Saturday spend 14 hours non stop emailing each other back and forth.   We decided to bring her to Moscow and I could cancel out about 3 ladies that I had planned to meet.  We wrote some more and then I cancelled out the other two and we were going to spend 14 days together.  So I went from meeting 5 ladies to one.  Well she got off the plane and decided in 5 minutes she didn't like me and so I ended up sitting in Moscow doing nothing for 14 days.   

Then there was one from Vitibisk who seemed wonderful in the communications.   I visited her for 5 days.  She had the worst temper of most any woman I ever met and spent half her time yelling at her Dad and Mother.  I sure had I married her she would have spent half her time yelling at me as well. 

Offline bobt333

• Commercial member
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »
Turbo

...I can recall very few instances where they asked me if I was meeting other women.   I never felt it was necessary to volunteer that information if they didn't ask....

I would maintain that the issue IS THERE even if they don't ask if you are seeing others.

I've only had a few ask if I was communicating with or seeing others, and that only happened with girls with whom I had regular Skype contact for some time and we were starting to talk about a meeting. But since most of my connections were made on individual tours (WNVM) the girls all definitely knew I was seeing others (therefore didn't need to ask). And on a few occasions they even made some little snide or cynical remark regarding all the other women I was probably seeing.

This seems consistent with Moby's and Muzh's observations.

Of course there are exceptions. One common exception is where a girl may not speak English or have reliable internet access, but is very serious about finding her future husband. A friend of mine who has now been married for 10 years met his wife on an individual tour... On ONE two-week trip he met over 30 women (NONE of whom he contacted beforehand) and methodically narrowed the prospects down to 2-3 before picking the girl who is now his wife. But she says had he waited any longer to make his choice, she would have declined. In her case she was willing to put her pride and natural instincts on hold, but it was a strain. It's just not normal for women to be able and willing to do that. (by the way, this is also a case where she didn't speak a word of English, he proposed to her through an interpreter on that same trip, and 10 years later they are still ridiculously happily married!)

But even in this exception, the "rule" was present... the woman is hard-coded to not share the man's attention, and when she does set that aside, it's rare and brief.

There ARE exceptions that don't follow any pattern, I'm sure, but I believe they are the exceptions.

It seems like this is a very important factor! With communication limited to snail mail I could see how much harder it would be to reliably narrow one's prospects from a distance. But with widespread internet access, email, and ESPECIALLY Skype, I find it fairly easy to thin the herd of options. As I read your experiences in Reply #69, it seems like a good month of regular Skype video calls would have eliminated most of these bad VOs.

...Out of 100 random women how many are going to be really right for someone.  Probably not that many.  If it was 1 out of 100 then would someone want to make 100 trips visiting one woman each trip?

This again focuses on the logistics for the guy while ignoring a seemingly glaring factor from the perspective of the women.

I don't think the solution to the logistics problem (finding the 1 in a 100) is to meet more women per visit so as to enhance your chances of finding that 1 out of 100, but rather to get better at knowing what you want/need, knowing where/how to look for it, recognizing it, then narrowing the field from a distance, then developing relationships with your "finalists" from a distance, then finally choosing your ONE and really developing a relationship with her from a distance. You do all that from a distance, THEN plan to go see only her.

BUT, after all that "from a distance" activity, JUST IN CASE you get that immediately bad VO episode... Have those local agency phone numbers handy (BUT DISCREET) and maybe a list of a few women from their agencies that you might like to meet. Then you don't give them another thought unless/until your #1 sweetie starts sounding like your angry/yelling Vitebsk woman (see -- was it something like that?).

Bob

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2010, 07:37:58 AM »
Moby, I met a fair number of women over the years and I can recall very few instances where they asked me if I was meeting other women.   I never felt it was necessary to volunteer that information if they didn't ask.  The only time I can recall a woman even knowing I was meeting others was my wife.

It is not necessary to be asked. This is evident in some of the trip reports. Man X goes to Russia. Meets woman Y. Woman Y asks Man X to meet the next evening. Man X says no, he can't, not telling her that it is because he has a date with woman Z. Woman Y clearly knows that the only logical explanation is that he has a date with another woman. Then, when on a date with woman Z, he gets a calls from yet another woman and woman Z will know that he is seeing other women....

In other words, there is no reason to take the women for fools. They will know without asking and without you telling that you are seeing other women  :popcorn:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
In other words, there is no reason to take the women for fools.

Anyone who thinks women are fools has never met a RW. 

I will agree with your scenario.  If you are wanting to fool a woman that is not the way to do it and of course the object is not to fool a woman it is to try to make the best use of your time to find the wonderful woman someone dreams of finding.   It may also be to do that and still have women you are sincere about meeting willing to meet you and being sincere themselves. 

When I made trips to visit more than one woman I would devote a block of time to that woman and not be flitting back and forth between women.  Actually, most of the time I was meeting one woman in a city and then going elseswhere for the next meeting.  Yes, if you are going to Kiev for example and meeting 5 different women no one is going to think you are only meeting them.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
Let me throw in a couple of experiences FWIW. Not mine but from UA women. I mentioned before I've visited UA a number of times for an extended period in which I've met a number of my wife's friends and family. We talked about marrying foreign men. Some have said they did consider it but decided against it. When I asked why they all agree that the WM were not really serious since they would never show up, AND those who would show up were just looking for sex. They all agree in their opinion that WM have a list of girls in different cities and they are just one more on the list. That is not their idea of establishing any trust in a relationship. Some said that they would consider a WM IF he was refered by a good friend and they cited my only attempt (successfully) at match making.

Keep in mind that this is just the opinion of 8 or 9 women from Kharkov ranging from 31 to 42 years of age.

Most of the women I met (but not all) were writing more than one man and would have been willing to meet most any of them who came to thier city to see them.  What is the difference except for the fact we spend a lot more money to make a trip and have a much more limited time frame.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
Turbo

with widespread internet access, email, and ESPECIALLY Skype, I find it fairly easy to thin the herd of options. As I read your experiences in Reply #69, it seems like a good month of regular Skype video calls would have eliminated most of these bad VOs.

Bob

I will agree that a month of Skype video calls could help eliminate some bad VO trips.  When I think back on the ones I mentioned and a few it didn't, I think it could have eliminated the problem with the lady I had no chemistry with and with the one I cancelled out 5 meetings to see in Moscow.   I don't know that it would have let me know what a lush the one gal was or helped with the one who yelled at everyone and in her case she spoke virtually no English so I doubt if it would have helped.   There was a special trip to meet one lady in kharkov who turned out to be a scammer that it would not have helped with.   Yes, it would be a big improvement and can help I am sure but it won't totally eliminate the risk.