The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Leaving on a Jet Plane..I don't know when I'll be back again  (Read 49337 times)

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident

What’s there to say it was a pristine day, 90F, not a cloud in the sky. It was hot enough to wish there was a breeze to quell the heat a little bit and evaporate some of the building perspiration. All in all it was a perfect day to fly and definately the start to what my gut says will be an adventure.

I’ve always loved flying, and I enjoy traveling.

Nostalgia…

Soloing for the first time in a Cessna Skyhawk…

The exhilaration of flitting about NOE at 200 knots in a pave hawk . Dodging power lines and other obstacles real or simulated. Your feet hang out the door you’ve got some air circulating about. The fast rope down is usually guaranteed to bring a bit of adrenaline to the party.

Memories of huffing down O2 from an O2 cylinder while standing on the ramp of a C-130 watching the a team of quiet professionals go through their prejump checks and gearing up for a show and tell HAHO jump at 25,000'.

There are just some things that always stick with you. As a Russka I know and who always seems to make me laugh says “I’ll save this on my internal  memory card…” whilst pointing to her head. :^)

No matter what happens I know it’s going to be an adventure….

Disclaimer::: It should be noted that all of the opinions, observations, prejudices, observations, etc.. Are my own. Names , faces and some information has been changed to protect the guilty, and innocent (though they are of a decidedly small minority here ). I welcome constructive criticism, and observations, opinions, etc... Any thought you have of flaming or anything of that vein, please don't waste your time or mine. As always and with everything else Your Mileage May Vary.  All grammar and spelling mistakes are my own, please no lectures.  I am writing this in hopes to help others learn from my experiences, and or not to repeat my mistakes. This is an ongoing story and I will do my best to keep it up to date. I just haven't decided how much about which parts I'm going to share... I'll do my best not to disappoint y'all on the action parts though...
Buckle up boys and girls and enjoy the ride.

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Leaving on a Jet Plane..I don't know when I'll be back again
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:15:31 AM »
Well what can I say Eric other than Good luck my Friend  tiphat
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline ECR844

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12:54 AM »
Thanks, Sparky!  tiphat :coffeeread:

Offline ECR844

Nebulous Specificity
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 01:13:40 AM »

- Click here and press play

It’s no secret things didn’t end well for me last time. I don’t think it was ‘anyone’s fault’ but it happened as life often does. So I did what I could to recover get my head on straight and go on my way towards finding happiness.. For those who are interested my two previous TR’s which I’ve shared about 2 of my trips can be found here on the forum.

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=922.0
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5886.0

I knew it would take some time and I had a few things I knew would be important and a small amount of experience to back me up. I set about using a variety of methods free, agency, domestic dating, whatever. I was determined to keep an open mind and ready to ‘go with the flow’.

Whilst keeping one stick in the home fires I found and joined one of the smaller agencies with a good reputation. I’ve found them to be honest and above board in all my dealings with them thus far. They’re making money for sure but hey that’s what they’re in business for so I can’t say I blame them for trying.

Whilst juggling prospects and dating ‘domestically’ but a wide variety of ladies RW, AW, CW LW, women from all over really. I continued to keep my international options open as well.

I wrote to 4 women and over time 3 of those ladies were weeded out. Things were going well with the last remaining lady. She was unbeknownst to me until just before she came working on getting a tourist visa to the US.

While this was going on I was doing my due diligence and planning to hop on a plane to visit her in Belarus. I got in touch with Ed from the forum here and started to pick his brain and see what he would charge to tag along and be my translator. I think Ed is a good guy, so I while we talked I asked him about how much he would charge me to come along and what expected expenses, level of service would be, etc…

Now good bad or indifferent the jist of the outcome of that conversation was this. Pretty much he said he wasn’t all that interested in going and proceeded to switch to making a sales pitch about 86’ing the BY lady I had been talking to and  paying him to start from scratch. Then we would take a trip together to Siberia or somewhere else where ever we found someone was. Frankly I wasn’t having any of that at this point and told him if things didn’t work out in my current situation I would consider it. Additionally the numbers I was being quoted would have required a significant amount of upfront and short term capital I didn’t have while juggling a variety of women, corresponding, dating, traveling, and living life….  

The BY lady was successful in getting aUS visa and we met in Chicago. I met her, her sister, and entire family. Some vague details can be found on this forum if one looks for them. In short, she was honest, genuine, and a great lady but we just weren’t a ‘good match’ and this was something we were only able to determine after spending time together. Things were fine in letters, on the phone and via IM-webcam. It happens…

After things didn’t work out with her I was back to juggling an on and off again relationship with a Lithuanian woman who had commitment issues. Had new possibilities with a polish woman and one Russka. Things didn’t work out with the Polish lady. The Lithuanians visa was about up and she wasn’t ready to settle down and the Russka broke things off as she had plans to travel for the summer.

While this was going on I was introduced to a lady that wasn’t listed with any agency but the person that made the introduction thought we would be a good match so it was off to the races once again..

Offline sparky114

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 04:28:59 AM »
Great introduction

So we are with you and hope that in this it runs straight and true for you  :)

Mark

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:19:40 AM »
Godspeed Eric,

May this time be the true one for you!

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »
  Enjoy the trip, I hope things go good, and don't forget to take some photo's of the places. Belarus is not that well travelled.  ;D

Offline Boris

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:59 AM »
Good luck, Eric...

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:08:26 AM »
Good luck Eric! :)

Memories of huffing down O2 from an O2 cylinder while standing on the ramp of a C-130 watching the a team of quiet professionals go through their prejump checks and gearing up for a show and tell HAHO jump at 25,000'.
:bow:  I've jumped from a mile up, couldn't imagine at that altitude!   :bow:

Offline ECR844

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
Good luck Eric! :)

:bow:  I've jumped from a mile up, couldn't imagine at that altitude!   :bow:

"RG," I wasn't able to jump but got to watch the exit from the ramp. That in and of itself was more than enough for me. Thanks for the good wishes!

Offline ECR844

The First Chukker
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
Once again it was time to delve into correspondence. So the e-mails begun with a translator in the middle. I made an offer to jump on a plane about a month in and see if there was something definitely there in person. That was met with a solid NYET and a it's too soon response.

So the writing continued. Going into the 4th month the hints about a trip and questions started popping up. we discussed it and decided some English lessons were in order first so that we could communicate a little bit as her English ability was essentially 0.

Time moved on and we talked about the best time for my trip. We set a date and I went and got tickets, and started getting squared away with visas, my due diligence and all the fun the pre-trip furor entails.

I was lucky enough to be able to get some assistance and details from a few helpful members here and their advice was immeasurable helpful. I hope to repay the favor someday.

As much as time seemed to stand still my trip still approached and we kept talking and exchanging correspondence as often as possible.

Offline ECR844

Details
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 11:44:04 AM »
I was able to find a great deal on airfare and bought my tickets fairly early. My itinerary was not the most desirable but all in all I saved myself about a grand doing it that way.

I was going to be flying from BOS-->JFK-->SVO2--><ground transfer> to SVO1--->MSQ.

I arranged for a car and driver to pick me up in Minsk and I wasn't worried about the transfer to SVO-1 in anything except the time sense as I only had 3 hrs to make the connection....

No worries.....<knock on wood>...

So I had hoped

Offline dazzer

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
Good read Eric...high time we got to learn where you are in this game...keep it coming tiphat
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline ECR844

Skolka?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »
You start your morning with a nice cool breeze blowing through your window. You hear the patter of rain drops outside and the klickty-clack of RW heels on pavement. A bird chirps.....The sky is dark and cloudy and it's +25C.

The rain slows and stops as the morning clears to party cloudy and sunny. The humidity has gone from 100% to a wicked huge drop to a steady 99%. The temps rise to +30. I'd be god damned Fu  :censored: ing surprised if I didn't close my eyes and open them again to find myself in the middle of the rain forest. Pinch...nope still  the FSU.

It's   HOT     and  :censored: STICKY

Picture if you will an open field next to indoor ice skating arena. In the middle of the field is a large tent outside ringed by fencing, carnival rides, trailers and a ticket kiosk. a Cyrillic sign points out the obvious to Dorothy. She's at the Circus and not in Kansas anymore.... Well, Kansas does occasionally turn into a circus but I digress.. :popcorn:

Sure tickets to the circus. Your dyev is all about it and it does sound like a great idea...YESTERDAY. You know when you thought to yourself that "Hey,. they probably hold these things in the cool of the evening and not in a sweltering oven of a tent in 99% fu :censored: ng humidity at +30...nah they wouldn't do that. They've done this before that would just be plain foolish.....Maybe they even have like ya know...Fans and stuff to get the air moving...Ya, they probably have that all set up, these are smart and ingenious people..No worries."

Apparently that only occurred to me on the day of that the likely hood of any of that is null and and definately did not occur to the Gypsy's running the joint.

Cost of 2 tickets to the local city circus: 42,000 BYR.
Cost of 4 cold small drinks that were obviously significantly padded to add to the profit margin 10,000 BYR.
Cost of a hand oriental style fan so your RW can fan herself and be cool 3,0000 BYR.
Her bemused look while you get to sit there and suffer: Free...with a bonus smile you are the man after all.
Cost to have the pleasure of using the outhouse-porta potty and 2 squares of TP 500 BYR.
Cost to sit down inside that oven designed to bake the tolerance out of you whilst you watch some poor malnourished an obviously abused animals  and a few humans perform for your semi-conscious enjoyment whilst your RW watches with a smile and relaxed enjoyment along with 150 other of her fellow FSU folks......

PRICELESS......

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
Leaving on a Jet Plane..I don't know when I'll be back again
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »
Hey Eric, I just saw this thread and haven't even read it yet
(don't worry I will).  I want to wish you love, happiness,
success and luck! I will hang on every word.

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline dazzer

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
  :reading: Eric, there is something in your TR missing.....

The bit between your arrival and the Circus

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
I missed the circus installment! 

Was the this "big" one (Minsk, still one not so big tent), or elsewhere?
:laugh: on the humidity, it was cold but almost comfortable when I was there, I can imagine how "warm and cozy" it must be right now. ;D
I enjoyed it, but it was definitely small.  They are supposed to be making a new building in Minsk for a bigger one, somewhere.  I think.

For those following along with Eric, it's around 3,000BYR = $1 USD give or take a few.
 :popcorn:

Offline ECR844

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »
 :reading: Eric, there is something in your TR missing.....

The bit between your arrival and the Circus

:-X "Dazzer...," I did it that way on purpose. Don't worry some of the blanks will be filled in when I have time to post them and with pics. :) :-X

Offline ECR844

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »
I missed the circus installment! 

Was the this "big" one (Minsk, still one not so big tent), or elsewhere?
:laugh: on the humidity, it was cold but almost comfortable when I was there, I can imagine how "warm and cozy" it must be right now. ;D
I enjoyed it, but it was definitely small.  They are supposed to be making a new building in Minsk for a bigger one, somewhere.  I think.

For those following along with Eric, it's around 3,000BYR = $1 USD give or take a few.
 :popcorn:

"Raleigh,"

It wasn't in Minsk but I'd guesstimate they squeezed about 200 people in that 'big top'. I think I would have preferred the 'cool' winter air if given a choice. But then again I'm not a fan of humidity....

Offline dazzer

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »
:-X "Dazzer...," I did it that way on purpose. Don't worry some of the blanks will be filled in when I have time to post them and with pics. :) :-X
Fair enough, and i suppose one of the MOD'S can put it into the correct order when you,ve finished  :nod:, looking foward to reading what Eric got up to  :smileysherlock:

Offline ECR844

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
Dazz, It'll make sense to you later.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »

Eric is that a typo?

Nothing ever makes sense to Dazzer  :ROFL:

Mark

Offline ECR844

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 01:08:34 AM »

Eric is that a typo?

"Sparky,"

Of course you'll note that 'later' like 'tomorrow' never come. :ROFL: tiphat

Offline sparky114

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »

Eric is that a typo?

"Sparky,"

:bow: :bow: :bow: tiphat :chuckle:

Mark

Offline dazzer

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

Eric is that a typo?

"Sparky,"

:bow: :bow: :bow: tiphat :chuckle:

:offtopic: Now lets have the bit before the Circus  :)