The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Has anyone here actually married a woman from Odessa or Kiev?  (Read 106754 times)

Offline MissileMe

Re: Has anyone here married a woman from Odessa or Kiev?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 06:41:03 AM »
Ok I asked the immigration lawyer.  Yes she actually speaks English and this is the way things work.

First of all the rule is alive.
Secondly most of you don't have to worry about it.
Thirdly if you are from a country with a lower per capita income visiting Kiev for any reason, you need to worry.

This is the way it goes.  Ukraine's unemployment is out of control.  Now, that's not too hard to see given their incredible balance sheet and loose credit over the year.  So to keep more people on the payroll, the government has decided to make sure that companies hire Ukrainians and not cheap labor from neighboring poorer countries. (yes there are many such countries).

So if you come from such a country and go in and out, you might get caught.  As to people from the G7, the lawyer told me that you ''probably'' don't have to worry for now. 

I told her that ''probably'' doesn't souind too good, but she replied, ''well life is about probability and I can only tell you that you are probably on the safe side.''  Like I needed someone to tell me that....

Well on the bright side, she didn't ask for money.    That was not in the equation.  Highly improbable.  But improbable things happen, for better or for worse.   So there you go, end of story.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

So if you come from such a country and go in and out, you might get caught.  As to people from the G7, the lawyer told me that you ''probably'' don't have to worry for now. 

I told her that ''probably'' doesn't souind too good, but she replied, ''well life is about probability and I can only tell you that you are probably on the safe side.''  Like I needed someone to tell me that....

To give you another example of how the system in Ukraine actually works--when I moved here, it was with the intention of becoming a legal permanent resident. Thus, from a purely "legal" standpoint, I should not have qualified to enter under the visa-free regime. Technically, I should actually have had a visa.

However, my wife checked with OVIR, and they said not to worry about the visa--to enter visa-free, then to apply for legal residence once I was here. They also gave her a long list of the various documents we'd have to produce, so I made sure I had everything when I came.

Soon after I arrived, I began the application process. It took just about a year, but meanwhile they had put yet another stamp in my passport that essentially said my application was pending. Thus, I didn't have to leave the country nor worry about the expiration of the visa-free period, although I was by no means yet a legal resident alien.

Finally, after numerous trips back and forth both to the local OVIR and the oblast office, everything was at last signed off on and I finally received the actual document. Now, I can come and go as I wish with no worry so long as my passport is valid, of course. I'll be renewing that during my trip to the U.S., so before I surrender the old one I must make photocopies of the current one with all the various stamps. When I get back with the new one, we must then get yet another stamp in the new passport referring to the resident visa, which is an entirely separate document.

In short, there is often what is on the books as being a legal requirement, then there is how things are generally actually done, and then there are ways to get around either of those--usually with the application of cash or the intercession of someone with true power, or both of the latter.

David

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »

I don't know where or whom started this "overfished" nonsense,  :-X but nonsense it is

dbneeley and I chewed the fat over this 'un and having been to most of the FSU countries west of the Urals... I *STILL* say the 'overfished ' analogy applies..    There's nought 'wrong' with the ladies, per se .. it's more to do with the quality / quality ratio of WM writing / coming over - many of the ladies are well-jaded...  :(

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline dazzer

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 01:53:13 PM »
I don't know where or whom started this "overfished" nonsense,  :-X but nonsense it is
dbneeley and I chewed the fat over this 'un and having been to most of the FSU countries west of the Urals... I *STILL* say the 'overfished ' analogy applies..    There's nought 'wrong' with the ladies, per se .. it's more to do with the quality / quality ratio of WM writing / coming over - many of the ladies are well-jaded...  :(
Odessa "overfished"....

How many "WM writing" to FSUW, write to ladies from Odessa... perhaps 20%?.

How many WM writing actually follow this through to going to the FSU?...perhaps 1%?.

And of that 1%, how many of them visits include Odessa?.

My % is problably way off, but as we know, only a small minority of men actually visit their pen friend regardless of where in the FSU she happens to be from, perhaps a fair % of these men would have no real intentions to ever do so from the onset, and therefor would not be interested in the relative ease of her locality as to his decision upon whom to write to, and more still wouldn't give where in the FSU she happend to live a second thought.

So....The majority write anywhere, the minority don't, and of that minority the majority don't ever go.

I'm problable way off in my %'s, but it doesn't matter....Odessa Isn't "overfished" IMO tiphat
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
I'm sorry, Dazzer, but I don't think we are talking on the same frequency..

Many ladies who post profiles do so because they know of someone else doing same... they talk..compare notes...  many WM don't have to arrive to pee off FSUW..and give 'us' a poor reputation..

Ask your wife about the sort of mails they get... !

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
Odessa "overfished"....

I don't think the likes of Odessa and Kiev are as overfished in the context described.

I do think that very pretty ladies in these cities have a far wider and greater choice due to the amount of rich guys (local and foreign) who will frequent such places and no doubt spoil them. Throw in a sprinkle of WM bride seekers waving their  :money:'s then they can be a tough places to date.

If you're on top of your game then there are more than enough to go around. If you're more towards freeky geeky then you maybe left holding your rod on your own for extended periods. Probably explains why daz cut a deal early doors and I'm sharing a bed with myself .... although temporarily daz does that too (I think).  ;D

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »

Chain smoking cads from t'up north?

Offline Manny

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
Odessa again: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=11311.msg162509#msg162509

Is it merely a coincidence many of our would-be or actual train wrecks have Odessa or Kiev in the tale?

I don't remember the last time someone rolled up here and said "I think I have met a scammer/prodater in Saratov/Samara/Rostov/Minsk/Kaliningrad/Vilnius [or insert FSU location of choice]". For sure, I am sure some smart arse can show me one, but its hardly a regular pattern is it?

This topic over several pages has revealed a couple of guys who know guys who they think are married to woman from there, one who simply met her there and got confused, and one (or was it two?) who can say "Yes, I did!".

Does anyone think the anecdotal evidence is starting to stack up against Kiev and Odessa as a bride-seeking destination when viewed in terms of actual marital results versus foot traffic?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:04 PM »
Haven't been to Kiev, but Odessa is like Las Vegas (been to both),... No wait, Odessa is far worse,...,lol.  It is a totally different world and reality doesn't apply in Odessa. Odessa is ALL  about prestige, if you are a "high status" male you can pretty much date whoever and do whatever you want.
--
I met a girl who told me that she  did some "stupid stuff" when she was 19-21, (I didn't ask further). But now being 26, she proclaimed she had outgrown the pressure of trying to look cool.
--
I know what y'all thinking,  No we didn't have sex!!!
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline kievstar

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
Kiev is not over fished at all.  Many guys get married there.  I think the issue is that letter writing is not best method in Kiev with so many men able to go to Kiev every month.  Also many expats. 

Odessa I do not know about but I ran into many foreign men married to women in Odessa when I lived in Ukraine.

Very few foregin men who married Ukraine women hang out on the internet talking. 

Offline dazzer

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
I'm sorry, Dazzer, but I don't think we are talking on the same frequency..

Many ladies who post profiles do so because they know of someone else doing same... they talk..compare notes...  many WM don't have to arrive to pee off FSUW..and give 'us' a poor reputation..

Good point...fact is, Oksana only did so for that very reason ( her friend ), sometime later her friend gave up, and as now met a local guy.

I'm not going to ask tiphat
Probably explains why daz cut a deal early doors and I'm sharing a bed with myself .... although temporarily daz does that too (I think).  ;D
True, i did "cut a deal early doors", but everything was above board without any fishy goings on.

I do temporarily sleep alone having popped the doll  tiphat
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
Very few foregin men who married Ukraine women hang out on the internet talking.  

Hope to be one of them soon! So you are married KievStar (see your profile), How long did it take for you to ask her the question?

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

Odessa I do not know about but I ran into many foreign men married to women in Odessa when I lived in Ukraine.

That's cause Odessa girls go!!! :knit:  All you can do is hang on to the edge of your bed and hope it won't snap off !!!!   :o

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »

That's cause Odessa girls go!!! :knit:  All you can do is hang on to the edge of your bed and hope it won't snap off !!!!   :o

Really?, more so then ladies from other cities?  :popcorn:

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »

That's cause Odessa girls go!!! :knit:  All you can do is hang on to the edge of your bed and hope it won't snap off !!!!   :o

Really?, more so then ladies from other cities?  :popcorn:

Yeah well WE are hoping to read all about in that TR of yours you have yet to finish!

BTW to stay on topic, there are many many agency girls who have yet to meet any western men in Odessa. It just happens that a few from any agency with good English and good looks, gets the most attention.

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2010, 05:54:04 PM »
Well my last night out was at the famous "SteaXhouse", and man-o-man, lots of WM with  dates, but the girls were nice but just normal looking, so in my view everybody has a chance, Odessa is hard as nails, a lot of girls are struggling and been taken advantage off. Nikolayev has a more lay-ed back attitude.
==
Spoke to a med student who lived there for 6 years, Odessa girls are different, not the type for "life partner" material. I agree. Odessa is for guys who like to party!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »
  Odessa girls do have a different attitude from other Ukraine girls. The more popular the agency girl, usually the worse her view on the bride biz is. But behind that extremely small amount of Odessa agency girls you will find some very good wonderful girls just looking for a good man. The challenge is for you the hunter to go find them.  :nod:
 One has to remember that it only takes one bad one to ruin the whole bunch. Get past that and it's all good!  :nod:

Offline lifeis...

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
--
I met a girl who told me that she  did some "stupid stuff" when she was 19-21, (I didn't ask further). But now being 26, she proclaimed she had outgrown the pressure of trying to look cool.
--

It's none of my business, but it still tickles my brain :) ... A hot 26 year old odessa girl asked you and you said no!  :'(

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
--
--

It's none of my business, but it still tickles my brain :) ... A hot 26 year old Odessa girl asked you and you said no!  :'(

Nothing so verbally  explicit, ....we were both lounging on the big couch in my flat watching a DVD( I brought along) and,.., I don't know, maybe it was just too hot that night (should have closed the balcony doors and turned on the air co)  , long story short, her hand went up my leg and moved into my  inner thigh and I just stood up and got...something,;..glass of water, ...pfeeeuw... :whistle:

She:"Whats wrong"?

me:"tired"!

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2010, 06:42:47 PM »
Nothing so verbally  explicit, ....we were both lounging on the big couch in my flat watching a DVD( I brought along) and,.., I don't know, maybe it was just too hot that night (should have closed the balcony doors and turned on the air co)  , long story short, her hand went up my leg and moved into my  inner thigh and I just stood up and got...something,;..glass of water, ...pfeeeuw... :whistle:

It's unlike a Frenchman to retreat.  ;D

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »

It's unlike a Frenchman to retreat.  ;D

Hey! you! That was below the belt,  >:(

I was not in the mood (not going into that)..and it was the last day of my stay in Ukraine, a man can only take so much! ;D

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »
Come on JC, it's not like he mentioned with the availability of prescription meds in every apteka/pharmacy, that, well, you know. ;D

Looking forward to the rest of the trip report, sounds like you had fun!  tiphat

Offline lifeis...

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »

I was not in the mood (not going into that)..and it was the last day of my stay in Ukraine, a man can only take so much! ;D

How much did you take in this trip, the inquiring minds want to know  :)

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »
Come on JC, it's not like he mentioned with the availability of prescription meds in every apteka/pharmacy, that, well, you know. ;D

Looking forward to the rest of the trip report, sounds like you had fun!  tiphat

:laugh: :laugh:Lol, I think he (Vinnvinny) meant French "retreating" as in "surrender" (WWII trauma) ,

I have no biological malfunctions, thank you very much, :coffeeread:

Lets not turn this into a bash-the-Frenchmen thread,  :fighting0025:

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
How much did you take in this trip, the inquiring minds want to know

Lets just say I can understand Hugh Hefner's time management problems.

PS:Well , I had a talk with "Tallbill" in chat about my TR, and what kind of details I should reveal, and since some (I repeat SOME) of the dates were waitresses working in restaurants WM frequent, so I will choose to  restrain from the Don style  of posting names and pics of girls I had sex with.
Don is the King of TR and he is pursuing someone outside the Ukrainian territory, for me, I have to show my face in June again, can you image a WM just walking up to a waitress and saying

WM client:"hey is your name S?."
S.:"How do you know my name?"
WM client:"Well I read this  :censored: and that  :censored: about you on the internet ...."
S.:"Whaaat?"
WM client:"So you do really like  :censored: :censored: :censored:?"
Yeah,... not good!