The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Has anyone here actually married a woman from Odessa or Kiev?  (Read 106758 times)

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
Re: Has anyone here married a woman from Odessa or Kiev?
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 01:27:14 PM »
and at 18 went to live/work/marry in Izmail

Dazzer,

So have you made it to the delta refugee area near Izmail?  I was wanting to go down that direction, but I did not make it past the Fortress in Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi. 

Looking forward to your TR and report on how your family is doing.

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 01:40:10 PM »
Welcome back dazzer! Haven't you mentioned on a number of occasions that your good lady lives some way from Odessa, 100km IIRC?
Now you come to mention it  :innocent:...

I keep thinking of where we met ( Odessa ), and that both her sisters now live there, the fact is she was born and raised 160+KM outside Odessa ...............

You forgot? :chuckle2:

Offline dazzer

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »
and at 18 went to live/work/marry in Izmail

Dazzer,

So have you made it to the delta refugee area near Izmail?  I was wanting to go down that direction, but I did not make it past the Fortress in Bilhorod-Dnistrovskyi.

Looking forward to your TR and report on how your family is doing.
Yes 3rd time I've been to Izmail, nice place, nice women, except for one, this women was are landlady, and caused us some trouble, this will be in the TR, thanks for the intrest, and i will try do a better job at writing one this time  tiphat

You forgot? :chuckle2:
Well...

Not forgot exactly, more never think of her not being from Odessa, that said, given some of the negative comments i have red towards the pursuit of a FSUW in Odessa on RUA, then perhaps I'm more in the upper crust club than i realised   :P
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »

Not forgot exactly, more never think of her not being from Odessa, that said, given some of the negative comments i have red towards the pursuit of a FSUW in Odessa on RUA, then perhaps I'm more in the upper crust club than i realised   :P

Well than, cheerio, pip pip, and all that rott! Best find a small fox so the hounds can chase it into a corner, shoot it, than boast amongst the other blue bloods in the cigar lounge how skillful you were during the hunt.  :prophead:  :)

Dazzer you know what they say about Odessa being overfished, well that just leaves more to the thrill of the chase no matter how much BS it is. :nod:

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
:)
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:47 AM »
Ahh but you are a local.  :)
Not really. I moved away from Odessa in 2003. I got married in 2004 and my wife is from Odessa, I live with her for some time but I often come home to the Crimea.

So I married a woman from Odessa not being Odessa local anymore! Mind you, the Crimea is not Ukraine, it is an autonomous republic under Ukraine rule since 1954! It is too small to be independent but it has never been Ukraine.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline dazzer

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »
Dazzer you know what they say about Odessa being overfished, well that just leaves more to the thrill of the chase no matter how much BS it is. :nod:
Agreed...

I don't know where or whom started this "overfished" nonsense,  :-X but nonsense it is, just think of all them ladies in Odessa whom have previously dated WM (:), how It's best to avoid the place altogether (:), all them pro daters (:), all them scammers, then again my favourite nonsense is the one about how many FSUW are looking to WM for marriage (:), on the scale of things that would be very few, fact is few do, and most men in this endeavour will never become so to a FSUW regardless of where they happen to go  tiphat
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »
Are you including ladies born and bred in those cities or ones who moved there prior to seeking a foreign partner?

Lets go with born and bred Odessa and Kiev............

On the other hand....

One might expect that a good number of young ladies leave their local town {village) for better paying jobs in the big cities (Odessa, Kiev), so you might be more likely to meet someone there.

However if the lady was asked later where she was from she might reply Vinnitsa, Berdansk etc, as that's where she was born, and where her parents live.

If someone had asked my Grandfather where he was from he would likely have said Manitoba, although he lived in BC since he was a teenager.

(However the answer to "Where do you live" would be different...).

Offline MissileMe

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 04:57:56 AM »
Hi, I am new to this forum but my wife is from Kiev and a Ukrainian.

We have been married for over 7 years.  Life has its fair share of ups and downs and is very hectic.   But life with my wife has been really good.  I will not say that it's easy but it's been surely way more ups than down.

As for women in Kiev I have to be honest, the young ones (below 25) are rather spoiled.  More about getting the biggest fish in the little pond called Kiev.   I know quite a lot of girls that will not get serious with men that don't make a fat salary.  And if they find someone that does, well it does't matter what the cost, they will try to get their attention and more.  Oh by fat, I mean at least a  6 figure income.           After tax.

Before the Lehman crisis, Kiev was still doing okay and property prices were sky rocketing. The generation that saw this when they were still in school really don't understand the way money is made. They thought (and still think) that money is easy to make and there are tons of people making obscene amounts of money in the world.   Young ones just don't seem to get it, that making a 100,000 USD is a BIG deal.   

Bunch of years ago, there was a movie called Clueless.  Well..... need I say more.  Only many of the young girls' parents don't make much money.   Their parents make little, but they have no idea how hard it is to make money.

On the other hand, Kiev is the land of the crooked.  Everything has a price and anyone can be bought out, so obviously there's a fair share of rich daddy's daughters. 

Well there are certainly good decent people too.  But let's be honest, if you are 40 and want a 20 something trophy wife, you'll most likely be dealing with spoiled girls who want to look good, live well, live easy, and spend a lot.

I am Japanese and I can see some real similarities in Japan and Ukraine when it comes to economic boom and bust.  The Japanese women in the 80's till the mid 90's were only interested in Louis Vuittons, 2 door sports cars, discos and nightclubs.  It took our idiotic women over 10 years for them to understand that MOST people in Japan don't make a lot of money since the taxes are so bloody high.  Eventually they managed to get it through their thick skull with a  pea sized brain that 6 figure income was a rarity and if it existed, it had nothing to do with them.  After all rich men date rich beautiful women.

Anyway many girls in Kiev will learn the hard way as Ukraine gets closer and closer to a default in the next few years (probably earlier).  But till then, you'll continue to have your fair share of gold diggers and opportunists.  As for the average girl, well there are tons of average girls.  Average looking ones that live the average poor life.  They will probably live their average poor life until some rich foreigner picks them up.   But the average joe schmoe from US, UK, AUS, etc etc will probably get scammed by the rotten beautiful ones in Kiev, advertised by some scam agency and never really understand where they went wrong.  These foreign men will in turn bad mouth Kiev (Ukraine) that women are just scammers and gold diggers.  So the average looking average poor girl will end up living an average Ukrainian life in the suburbs and boondocks just because the average joe schmoe didnt recognized her .
And another Ukrainian girl with real inner beauty goes to unnoticed.   Who's fault is that? LOL 

So there you go, just an opinion from a Japanese married to a lady from Kiev. 

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
 Welcome to RUA ... great first post !! tiphat

Offline LoyalMan

• ChiNazi scientists have invented Wuhan Virus Test Agent with accuracy rate close to 0%
  • Spouses Country: Neptune
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 09:06:55 AM »
MissileMe, good article!!!   :THUB:

Good to know that most foreign men and Ukraine women can't get their matching men/women.    :chuckle:

It is also an evidence that 90% living human is actually foolish.     :chuckle:

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum but my wife is from Kiev and a Ukrainian.

We have been married for over 7 years.  Life has its fair share of ups and downs and is very hectic.   But life with my wife has been really good.  I will not say that it's easy but it's been surely way more ups than down.

As for women in Kiev I have to be honest, the young ones (below 25) are rather spoiled.  More about getting the biggest fish in the little pond called Kiev. 

Welcome MissileMe!

When you say "Women in Kiev" do you mean ones that were born there? Or are there a lot of 20-something girls who came to Kiev from other towns to "make it big"?

Offline MissileMe

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 05:49:14 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome everybody.

It's amazing how "universally" accepted beauty is so dangerous and filled with pitfalls.

Many people from the G7, (not G8, since I would not include Russia for arguments sake) believe that a man in his 40s and 50s can get away marrying a 18 year old. This person thinks that young women from Kiev (or Moscow or any FSU country for that matter) just love older men from the G7 nations!!!

Of course not!

But the reality is that girls want a good easy life filled with the luxuries that only a man in his 40s and above can usually provide.  Hence the divorce rate of FSU women married to G7 men in the G7 nations is supposedly really high.  Many want your visa and half of your kingdom.   I know of 3 couples that are already divorced and one is on the brink.  Sure not all of them are like that but I doubt that's the exception.

But what the heck, we should all know better that every rose has its thorns.  And that is life.  Honda lasts longer than a Ferrari and is lower in maintenance.  It's never in the shop and never refuses to fire up.  But the Ferrari is a Ferrari despite the hassles and upkeep cost.  And you only live once.  Well at least that's what many men tell themselves when they get that mid life crisis syndrome.   Espcially when the western counterpart just recently managed to butt rape him dry in the  court case that cost him half the kingdom and his beloved dogs playing poker poster.  All of a sudden, hearing that young FSU women LOVE older men and can't get enough of them ,  sounds like something too good to pass up, even though it really is too good to be
true love.

Well child bride or not, good looking young ones are boring and dangerous.  Boring mostly because you can see a pattern in their behavior and it gets old fast.    Dangerous because we all want to taste that forbidden fruit (sorry for the sexist language).  In any case who wants to pay 20 bucks for a drink , 10 times a night to look good in front of women who might be HIV positive. (not kidding,  several years ago, the UKR government had a tv ad alerting people that HIV was a national problem)

In any case young ones are ruthless.  They will try to make the rich married  guy  "their" rich married guy.  And they will not hesitate to use every ounce of pheromone in their body.

As for women in Kiev, I mean those that live in Kiev.  I don't really differentiate those that come to live there or those that are born there. I am sure you know that you need a Kiev domicile to get the social benefits of Kiev.   But not having that addy isn't going to deter anyone from claiming their fame and fortune.  If you never been to Kiev, the night clubs are filled with good looking young ones.  Rich or not, they are good looking!!   Just be prepared to spend tons of money and even prepared to be  burned ocassiaonally. That is all part of life.  The risk is high and reward could be high too.  But then again, you could always be sensible and tame your inner teenager and try to find someone a little more stable, sensible and ordinary. 

Offline lifeis...

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
Hormones, pheromones or whatever.... The great wisdom doesn't seem to penetrate my thick skull yet... You make me curious about all those great young ones in Kiev nightclubs :) So how does one meet them without knowing the language... :)

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
Hormones, pheromones or whatever.... The great wisdom doesn't seem to penetrate my thick skull yet... You make me curious about all those great young ones in Kiev nightclubs :) So how does one meet them without knowing the language... :)

That$ ea$y. All you have to have is $ufficiently intere$ting vi$ible attribute$ and they will find you!

David

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

That$ ea$y. All you have to have is $ufficiently intere$ting vi$ible attribute$ and they will find you!

David
:ROFL:
Well said. :)

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 06:02:57 PM »

Whilst the girls in Kiev nightclubs are very nice they don't compare to the clubbers you will find in Odessa, Kharkov, Lugansk, Nikolayev etc.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 06:16:27 PM »

Whilst the girls in Kiev nightclubs are very nice they don't compare to the clubbers you will find in Odessa, Kharkov, Lugansk, Nikolayev etc.

IBIZA in Odessa is a unique place IMO  :nod:   What 's your thoughts on it Vinn?

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »

IBIZA in Odessa is a unique place IMO  :nod:   What 's your thoughts on it Vinn?

Without doubt Don. I ended up there on my 2nd and 3rd nights the first time I went to Ukraine and both times I left it was daylight. I was taken there by two girls I met in Falconi (?) bar one of which was very hot (dazzer will confirm) but unbelievably I never tried to date her. :'(  It's been downhill ever since.  :(

Offline MissileMe

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »

David

Tee hee hee.  Good one and oh so true. 

BTW I learned my English in England.  Thank your for the compliment.   I would have messaged you privately but I haven't figured out the way..... Sorry about that.

Offline MissileMe

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
BTW,  you guys do know that there is a quasi new rule concerning tourist visa /immigration visa in Ukraine.    Right?

In case you don't, here it is.  Long story short, if you vist, you can stay up to 90 days.  The second visit will not be allowed for 180 days after the first visit.

So if you visit Kiev for 10 days or 90 days, the next time you are allowed into Ukraine is approximately 6 months from departure date.

I am not an immigration lawyer and the law could have changed already since laws, rules and regulations change every day in Ukraine.  If you are going to visit, I strongly urge you to check it out before you go.

Anyway, there are ways to overcome this law if it is still in effect.

1.  Buy someone out.  Land of the crooked maximus.  There is always someone you can buy out at the INS.  Sure it may cost a pretty penny.  (Personally I wouldnt pay more than 500 bucks and you do have to get to know them before your second trip)

2.  Get an immigration visa then apply for permanent residence.  note; takes up to 6 months,   and you might even have to get married.  (God forbid!!  what's the point of visiting Ukraine and those uber expensive night clubs! and if you're married, why go to Ukraine?!  Just kidding. Even though it doesnt sound like it. )

3.  Get a work visa.  You can pay to get ''hired'' but I believe that you do need some sort of  domicile in Kiev and that doesnt come too cheap.

If I remember correctly in Ukraine, you can only work where you have your permanent domicile. That's the reason why Ukraine still has that idiotic and archaic Work Passport system, the illigitimate evil spawn of big brother and Soviet Union to control the citizens from migrating and causing social problems.

Hence the young ones from the boonies all want to get some sort of resident status in Kiev or other major cities.  This costs $$$ as you all know.  So, social prostitution is a quick resolution.  Ooops sorry,   I meant strategic holy matrimony.   Well... then again what the hells the difference between them two. 

On a more serious note, as Ukraine comes closer to default, nationalism and protectionism will kick into higher gear.  This is a social phenomenon that takes place in all countries around the world.  This new immigration law is intended to keep the women from leaving the country.  Depleting able bodied females means a reduction in the future work force (less babies) which translates to lower tax revenues which finally translates to poor politicians (like such politicians exist)

So it's just natural that they would impose such a law.  I'm surprised that corrupt Ukraine still hasnt imposed any international marriage tax.  After all Ukraine provided free education for their beautiful women, so the foreigners should indeed pay for the fruit of their (Ukraine) labor.

I guess I should shut up because God knows which crafty, vile, Ukrainian politician is reading my outlandish gibberish.

Offline Norwegian

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 06:58:21 AM »
BTW,  you guys do know that there is a quasi new rule concerning tourist visa /immigration visa in Ukraine.    Right?

In case you don't, here it is.  Long story short, if you vist, you can stay up to 90 days.  The second visit will not be allowed for 180 days after the first visit.

So if you visit Kiev for 10 days or 90 days, the next time you are allowed into Ukraine is approximately 6 months from departure date.

I am not an immigration lawyer and the law could have changed already since laws, rules and regulations change every day in Ukraine.  If you are going to visit, I strongly urge you to check it out before you go.

I´m sure this must be an OLD law... I have visited Ukraine 6 times in 11 months now. The first and second visit was only one week apart in July 2009. Then i was there in October, November, February and now in May... Never got a second look in the passport control on any of my trips. :knit:

Of course this may apply to those coming from countries actually needing a Visa to enter.
"The man who stands at a strange threshold, should be cautious before he cross it.
Glance this way and that. Who knows beforehand what foes may sit, awaiting him in the hall?" -Odin

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »

This doesn't sound right. Even when visas were required for a Canuck to visit Ukraine, I had no problem getting two visas (and making the trip) within a 6 month period.

Can you provide a source for the info you posted?  I checked the website of the Ukrainian Embassy in Canada, and it says nothing about a 180 day limitation.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »

This doesn't sound right. Even when visas were required for a Canuck to visit Ukraine, I had no problem getting two visas (and making the trip) within a 6 month period.

Can you provide a source for the info you posted?  I checked the website of the Ukrainian Embassy in Canada, and it says nothing about a 180 day limitation.

I would like to know this also, I have been 3 times before within 6  months a few times, and if it is new I plan on going shortly at least twice in the next 6 months, so need to be sure what you have stated is true, or all being well you are wrong, lets hope anyway  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline MissileMe

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »
Ok, I got this information from an immigration lawyer just about 10 days ago. 

My wife is currently in Kiev and she was asking around for immigration visa and permanent resident status and stumbled upon this rather new law. 

BUT.  Laws change every day so really new can be replace by a really newer law.

This is the flow of events.   First of all when I was presented this new regulation, I had to triple check it.  So my wife actually paid consultation fees and got the reply '' never heard of it'' from 2 immigration lawyers.

The third one which charged an arm and a leg said that this law is in fact rather new.  ''It's in effect and most likely even the INS agents at the airport are unaware of this.  Or they are aware of this but are too lazy / or dont know how to shove people back onto a return flight to their country.   Which is why you will hear conflicting replies from other immigration lawyers.  This does not mean it is not ineffect''

Do not panic though.   Laws in Ukraine change very fast.  They could have taken it off the regulation books in the last few days.   

Also keep in mind that technically most countries do not allow a person to just go across the border and come back and renew their tourist visa (so called visa waiver program status).  Even the US doesnt allow that ''technically''.   Although after the 2nd time they will probably tell you that you can not enter again for another 3 months without a proper visa (anything but a visa waiver program, let it be student, work, permanent, etc etc)  But do remember the situation I wrote above applies to "consecutive" entries and the person stayed close to the maximum allowed days.

I am really sorry, I lost the site where this is mentioned.   But if you are really worried, I would call up your Ukrainian girlfriend and have her call some immigration lawyers.  Some of them offer free simple advice over the phone.  No need to make appointments like my wife did.  I only triple checked it because of personal complicated reasons.   In my situation I will have travelled 2 times and a span of a month in October.   The immigration lawyer told me that there would be a certain amount of risk invovled upon entering.  If I don't get sent back, I am lucky.  If I do get sent back at the border, that's the regulation. 

I understand Ukraine pretty well.  I understand that immigration lawyers have to make a living on fear.  But in my case, I can not afford to get sent back and not be able to re-enter.  So personally speaking I will have to pay the cost. 

Anyway it is something to keep in mind. 

Some things I learned the hard way at the INS in Kiev.  Stick to men agents when you line up at the INS counter.   My wife said the same thing.  Secondly,  the agents know some rules, they dont know it all and many times they dont have an answer, use that to your advantage.   Lastly you need to be slick, they all want something from you, remember that.

Anyway I am sorry  this is getting off the ''married to women from Kiev and Odesssa'' topic
If you have any doubts, call up your girlfriends and ask around.   The new regulation could have been replaced with a newer regulation.  At least lets hope that it has.

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
I'm buggered then caus I dont have a girlfriend.  :(

Sounds like a load of old tosh if you ask me which I know you didn't, but if you did then I would day it sounds like a load of old tosh.

Can't see them passing such a law shortly before the European Championship as many foreigners will be popping in and out for games, so they'll be buggered too.

..... then again, it is Ukraine.  :'(

Registration