The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Would you consider living in the FSU?

Yes
Maybe for the right woman or job
No
I already do/did (more than 1 year continuously)

Author Topic: Expatriate Life: Resources & Visa info  (Read 97826 times)

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: Resources and about Expatriate Life
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
And even if I were self-employed, I would still be extremely reticent to go live half-way around the globe. Successfully self-employed people generally find work through networks. Over time, those networks will wither IMHO if you are living an ocean away...
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 12:17:10 AM »
And even if I were self-employed, I would still be extremely reticent to go live half-way around the globe. Successfully self-employed people generally find work through networks. Over time, those networks will wither IMHO if you are living an ocean away...

Much depends upon the nature of the network involved. For example, a good part of my working life was in technical communications, and my primary network there was online to begin with. I still am active on one of the professional mail lists, in fact. We have a number of members of that group who work internationally, including at least one prominent one who lives in Spain and does projects for mostly U.S. companies. Often, such a remote worker can be an advantage, simply because of the time differential. When a change needs to be done right away in a project facing a deadline, very often the remote worker will be able to complete it while the U.S.-based colleagues are still asleep. I have seen this on numerous occasions.

I have also communicated with numerous freelance writers, web designers, and the like for whom location is largely if not wholly immaterial, so long as they have Internet access. In cases like that, face-to-face contact often is the exception rather than the rule.

People in many professions are only now adjusting to the realities of the new technology and the lifestyles it empowers. Companies increasingly are becoming used to telecommuters, often finding their productivity actually exceeds the typical for office-based workers. Of course, the fact that the telecommuter often pays his own overhead expenses is a direct benefit to a company's bottom line.

Infrastructure for this kind of lifestyle is becoming increasingly pervasive. In the past year, we have moved from a 1 Mbit Internet connection with frequent outages to a 5 Mbit connection that is far more reliable--still paying 99 gryvnia per month. If we raised the monthly fee to 150 gryvnia, our connection speed would double--and they are talking about increasing the speed yet again, perhaps by multiples of what is available now.

People who are primarily knowledge workers, then, may find opportunities for working abroad that may not be apparent to the casual observer. In such a case, pay is normally commensurate with what that person would earn working at the company back home--although needs such as healthcare coverage would have to be arranged, often at the employee's expense. If that employee can establish himself as an independent contractor, however, the rates for the work could include what the company would ordinarily be paying in healthcare coverage for a direct hire.

One expense that may come into play, though, might be annual or more frequent trips back to "show the flag" and to make direct contacts with potential new contract firms or agencies.

Also, don't overlook the contract labor firms. At least in the high-tech field, there are companies who hire contract employees to work through them for client companies. This may also apply to some other industries, too. These firms do the recruitment and hiring--and once you have successfully completed a contract, they may be quite interested in keeping you around for further opportunities. While many of these contracts are for people to work onsite with their client companies, increasingly there are positions that would work through telecommuting.

David

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 12:33:35 AM »
I have worked from the FSU as DB mentions, although not for an extended period of time as of yet, but likely will be doing so again in the not distant future.  In my case, it's for a company "back home," though the possibilities do exist that he mentioned.  One thing worth checking into, though, is while Internet access is indeed improving, many buildings have old wiring, and in some cases there may be a maximum speed/bandwidth not always imposed by the ISP.  Sometimes this can be fixed, or by different options (such as USB wireless connections), but sometimes not so easily.  Even "villages" can often get a relatively decent connection, but YMMV, and it is something to consider.  In general, things worked fine, and I actually had higher upload than the insanely stupid caps in the US on residential cable access, but I did have more temporary disconnects requiring the router to be reset.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 12:55:28 AM »
I have worked from the FSU as DB mentions, although not for an extended period of time as of yet, but likely will be doing so again in the not distant future.  In my case, it's for a company "back home," though the possibilities do exist that he mentioned.  One thing worth checking into, though, is while Internet access is indeed improving, many buildings have old wiring, and in some cases there may be a maximum speed/bandwidth not always imposed by the ISP.  Sometimes this can be fixed, or by different options (such as USB wireless connections), but sometimes not so easily.  Even "villages" can often get a relatively decent connection, but YMMV, and it is something to consider.  In general, things worked fine, and I actually had higher upload than the insanely stupid caps in the US on residential cable access, but I did have more temporary disconnects requiring the router to be reset.

In Donetsk, we use Matrix Home: www.matrixhome.net It has its own fiber network infrastructure, and customers are connected via individual Ethernet links from a junction box on the fiber line outside. We've had the entire system down twice in six months, and its DNS servers offline two or three more times, usually for no more than a few hours. (I did a DNS speed scan, and found another Ukraine DNS server that is actually faster--so the Matrix Home DNS is actually a secondary one now.)

I'm surprised at an outage that would require a router reset. Ours easily auto-resets when the signal is restored from an outage. My computer is set to do the same thing with its connection to the router, of course. We're using a DLink wireless router. The computer I intend to buy in the States this Summer will likely be wireless "n" capable, so I well may pick up a compatible router while I'm there, especially if I can use the same power supply the current Dlink box uses. We're contemplating going for a faster connection, and the 811 n would enable me to take real advantage of it.

In fact, we originally signed up for a 5 Mbit connection at 99 grynia per month. I knew they were looking to raise the speed, but I just noticed they have now done so. It's 10 Mbit connections at 99 gryvnia, with a new 15 Mbit service at 129 gryvnia per month.

I mention this detail to say that things are rapidly improving here on many fronts. Those who may contemplate living and working from here should look at current conditions that may make this possible, depending of course on the location you may select.

David

David

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »
One expense that may come into play, though, might be annual or more frequent trips back to "show the flag" and to make direct contacts with potential new contract firms or agencies.

Which is in line with what I said: successfully self-employed people rely on networks and it is hard to maintain these networks when you live overseas. I would wager that the longer you live overseas, the the more frequent the trips to "show the flag" will have to become tiphat
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 07:46:49 AM »

Which is in line with what I said: successfully self-employed people rely on networks and it is hard to maintain these networks when you live overseas. I would wager that the longer you live overseas, the the more frequent the trips to "show the flag" will have to become tiphat

Normally, we would not think of a company we worked for as a "network" but if you do, then I'd agree with you. As for "more frequent trips back the longer you live overseas"--I'd wager that is by far a distinctly individual matter.

I'll be heading back to the U.S. in a couple months for perhaps five or six weeks; if I didn't have quite a bit of business outstanding with various government offices, I'd probably not be heading back then...and this will be my first trip back after being here right at two years. It is likely that it'll be another two if not more before I return again.

I know others for whom it isn't a big deal to go back and forth, including a few who have been expats for many years. In fact, at my age it seems there are fewer reasons to want to go back as time passes.

David

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »
Normally, we would not think of a company we worked for as a "network" but if you do, then I'd agree with you.

Eventually, the company you worked for will have new managers, new people and they will have their own people, their own contacts. They will start asking "David who?" If they never worked with you directly, then they may start giving other people contracts, people that they knew when working... It is pretty normal human behavior. You trust people you know. Sure, the first few years, little is likely to change, but what about in 5, 10 or 15 years?
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
@db
The router supplied was, let's say, with Chinese markings all over, and a confirmed POS.  Add to that the lack of filters on the line, and the phone ringing would often drop the DSL connection, old wiring, and you start to get the picture.  I have no doubts at all that you can get good service in many areas, and in this case, it honestly was "mostly good enough," with more upstream bandwidth than here in the US on residential capped lines, but it should be something people look at before making that jump to work from Siberia or some locales. As it was "mostly good enough," I didn't look too deeply into other options.

I'll be going back with a DSL filter, cable and a Linksys in the not too distant future. :)

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
I'm just wondering what are Ukrainian rules for foreigners buying real property... Any "special tax" applied (e.g. in Spain a foreigner purchasing property pays additional 7% - Andrew please correct me if I'm wrong?)

7.5% for new build, 6 to 7% for resale's. This tax is for anyone purchasing a Spanish property and nothing to do with their nationality.

Andrew (in disguise).

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
Thanks, saved me looking in Google. ;)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
Must have things I bring. I buy a trunk anytime I am back in the US.

Having an addiction to mac + cheese I buy up about 50 boxes and toss all but the sauce mix. It can last a year or two. I take about 6 cake mixes and creamy icing, keep them locked away. only bake for special occasions and then lie about making it from scratch. I bring up to 10 boxes of Whitman's chocolate and keep half for myself. Spices and packet mixes especially for spaghetti though with all the fresh herbs I am doing fine adding just a little for taste.

I cannot stand R/U munchkin shoes or the pantywaist socks so I bring 3 pairs shoes and two dozen heavy socks. Any more shoes can be bought in other foreign countries. Two pairs of long johns usually lasts a few years and come in handy with the winters. I am now thinking of a good snowmobile suit.

What I like best.

My second half does not understand this but I try to say that in U/R there can be a great degree of difference between $300 and $700 a month. Outside of that you need to make a big jump to the upper class. I am very content with about $700 and that includes renting. She only thinks that how you live does not matter when outside and surrounding you is such crap.

I like corruption. In all truth I have run across many officials who would not be bribed but often when you need something now or need to bypass a law it can make things happen that would not.

I really like camping and while I have never gone camping there, I look at general life there as camping. It can be dirty, smelly, a little pile of shit on the stairway, no hot water for two weeks...

In general I like to be in the same stew (or slightly better) as everyone else rather than the bottom of the barrel.

Most of all I like that you can get on a bus or train and be in another country for about a hundred dollars. Romania, Poland, Latvia, Lietuva, etc. Hostels are getting expensive though.

But I must admit that I also love being around the women.

Oh, and one final thing that is a real blessing. When the little lady is on her period I kick her back to her mothers apartment. Actually, she has learned to judge her own temperament these days so it is usually only every two months now and I don't need to kick.

Biggest downside.

Those times when I must return home. I am helping a friend at the moment in (can you spell the armpit of the universe?) Ohio.

Scott
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline ecocks

• Always willing to help.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
For those who think being an expat is life on easy street.....

Serial killer in Philippines targets expats, their gadgets

Dizon, a computer technician and reflexologist, is suspected of killing retired U.S. Air Force serviceman Albert Mitchell, 70, his wife, Janet Andrenada, 53, and their three domestic helpers last Thursday, the newspaper reported.

He is also suspected in the killing of Briton James Porter, 51, and his 22-year-old Filipina girlfriend in their home a few days earlier. Police also suspect Dizon killed Canadian passport-holder Geoffrey Bennun, 60, and his 20-year-old Filipina girlfriend on July 12.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/26/serial-killer-in-philippines-targeted-expats-and-their-gadgets/?hpt=T2

Still another reason to stay realistic about those age gaps......

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
Same comment as on the other forum. You should IMHO split up the answer maybe for the right woman or job. I would consider it if a good job was offered, but would not move for a woman not matter who she was  :biggrin:
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Manny

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 02:46:58 PM »
I am in Estonia now. We only tend to do a series of short breaks across the year here, so I don't fall into the "expat" category really. To stay here over a year might be a stretch, but doable if there was a good reason. It wouldn't be such a hardship. Life is OK here.

Russia would be another matter. It would need to be a lot of money to make me live there.

Living anywhere in the FSU on local money would be a hardship I think. If you have enough money, you can smooth the bumps out pretty much anywhere. Even in Russia. It takes a lot more money than people imagine to do that though.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline ecocks

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
Yes, there's good and bad everywhere. Most of it involves adaptability of the individual to radical differences as to what is considered "acceptable, "normal" or "standard".

This may have been part of the intent of the infamous thread on the Good, the Bad and the Ugly which sidetracked off into such a bitter personality war. 

So, you may enjoy reading and deciding which pieces of information fit best into those categories:

VISA Challenges are Constant (but maybe improving)

New visa rules confuse expats
Nov 7, 2007
Read more: http://www.Kievpost.com/news/nation/detail/27769/#ixzz0uoyoIjZr

Expats face tough rules after WTO
Apr 24 2008
http://www.Kievpost.com/news/nation/detail/28902/

Easy Guide - Requirements for Foreigners to Enter and Exit Ukraine
http://www.chamber.ua/enter-exit-ukraine/

Working in Ukraine

Ukraine expat survey 2010
http://bunews.com.ua/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=349:ukraine-expat-survey-2010-&catid=25:industry-&Itemid=34

Expat doctor stands up to misconduct charges
http://www.Kievpost.com/news/nation/detail/24511/

Moms confront child molester
http://www.theeagle.com/local/Moms-confront-child-molester

Simple Living

Doing my walkabout a little later in life.
http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/expats-living-in-ukraine-and-russia-vt1730.html

Sadness and splendor in Kiev, Ukraine's capital

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2012191278_trukraine27.html?syndication=rss

One of our own:

. . The Mendeleyev Journal . .
Life, art, culture, language and music in Russia
http://russianreport.wordpress.com/

Offline froid

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:41 AM »
I have considered living in both Finland and Estonia.  Would be easier for me since I have family in both places and the support network both would offer.  Also I have my Estonian passport available to me as well.  So with visa issues non-existant and local help on the ground I could do it easily.  No opportunities or circumstances have come about to make me seriously look at it though. 

With Mila and Kirill settled here, I doubt I would ever consider a move like that now. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 09:16:15 PM »
Recent reports of the worlds top 10 highest quality of life cities lists no less than 5 in Canada.  Only Norway and France offer comparably high quality of life scenarios across the board with Denmark, Austria and Switzerland rounding out the top 10.

I am seriously considering a Canada office for one of our business projects.  Perhaps Nova Scotia or Montreal.

It is one thing to do business in the RU UA and Stans but expatriating when Canada is right next door seems to be fairly radical option.

Seconds on my list for winter would be the lovely warm weather and friendly business climates of Antigua, Belize (Former British Honduras), Costa Rica and Panama.

Offline ecocks

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 09:28:13 PM »
Estonia I'd consider part of the FSU but Finland I always lump into Europe proper.

I'd have done Riga, Tallinn or Vilnius if they'd have had any decent job ads but working in the EU is/was more of a challenge at the time.

Now the visa hassles have grown in the FSU so I'm not sure what my choices would be now. I had thought I'd head to China by now which is still fairly easy to visit for extended periods.

Offline ecocks

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 09:37:30 PM »
I worked a few weeks in Canada once, the paperwork was horrendous. In truth it was easier to work in Ukraine than Canada.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 01:42:37 AM »
I worked a few weeks in Canada once, the paperwork was horrendous.

Yeah, it's no picnic going the other way either.  :'(

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2010, 01:54:35 AM »
I worked a few weeks in Canada once, the paperwork was horrendous. In truth it was easier to work in Ukraine than Canada.

When I worked in the banking industry we had people in each department who were tasked with doing the associated paperwork.  For most businesses the paperwork is either handled by people who are trained in handling it or the paperwork is outsourced to another company, in some cases that company is in places like India and strangely enough, in regard to a lot of medical paperwork, the USA. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline chivo

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:52 AM »
I am in Estonia now. We only tend to do a series of short breaks across the year here, so I don't fall into the "expat" category really. To stay here over a year might be a stretch, but doable if there was a good reason. It wouldn't be such a hardship. Life is OK here.

Russia would be another matter. It would need to be a lot of money to make me live there.

Living anywhere in the FSU on local money would be a hardship I think. If you have enough money, you can smooth the bumps out pretty much anywhere. Even in Russia. It takes a lot more money than people imagine to do that though.
I understand your personal reasons and choices and respect them.

How much do you think it would take to live "normal"?

Offline chivo

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 04:11:28 AM »

Come on guys. Is moving to Canada like moving to Ukraine regardless of the paperwork?

Offline ecocks

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
I merely observed that it was easier to work in Ukraine than in Canada.

As for the "moving" process itself, I accomplished it with two very large suitcases, my computer and a couple of medium-sized boxes shipped from home.

Obviously Canada is more industrialized, cleaner, better infrastructure, decent restaurants and better-paying jobs.

OTOH, the employees we had up there were required to fully immigrate and had to leave within 3 years so as not to risk citizenship issues.

I would not have particularly found moving to Canada to be much of an adventure.

Offline Manny

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »

I understand your personal reasons and choices and respect them.

How much do you think it would take to live "normal"?

I would need maybe 3000-4000 Euros a month (net) to live in Estonia allowing for a car and a decent house. Its not cheap here any more. Dinner last night came out at around $140 for example. And that was a regular place that you most likely know Chivo (as I recall you spent some time here).

We did once briefly consider living in Togliatti (Russia). There were some new build houses that were pretty cool and not expensive @ around 3m Roubles (They are probably twice that now). After thought, I decided I wasn't going to live there by choice.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.