The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: About Visas and Landing Cards in Ukraine  (Read 6227 times)

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
About Visas and Landing Cards in Ukraine
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:05:31 AM »
Mod note: This topic was split from this topic: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=11055.0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me correct some misinformation here, please.

Vinny and Markje has stated that Ukraine "requires a visa" for Americans--but that is not true, and has not been for at least two years. (It's officially referred to as a "visa free regime" in fact).

It is true that the passport is stamped upon entry, but that is not a visa but simply an entry stamp. It's one way to be sure that you do not overstay without any authority examining your passport realizing it--and because once the 90 days is up, you cannot return without a visa for another 90 days.

Just keeping the record straight...

When I arrived to live here, rather than 90 days the visa free period was six months. Because I intended to apply for lawful permanent residence, officially I should have had a visa. However, when my wife checked with OVIR, they told her not to worry about it, but that I should apply with them once I arrived--which I did. While it was all pending, I got yet another passport stamp stating my residence application was indeed pending--so I did not have to leave while it was being resolved. The entire process to get the permanent residence card took right at a year.

The fact remains that for Americans (and various other nationalities) to visit as a tourist no visa is required for a period of up to 90 days.

David

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »
Vinny and Markje has stated that Ukraine "requires a visa" for Americans--but that is not true, and has not been for at least two years. (It's officially referred to as a "visa free regime" in fact).

Steady on there David, I haven't stated anything ... I was quoting from the Flying Hearts website.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 07:33:08 AM »

It is true that the passport is stamped upon entry, but that is not a visa but simply an entry stamp. It's one way to be sure that you do not overstay without any authority examining your passport realizing it--and because once the 90 days is up, you cannot return without a visa for another 90 days.

Yet you are required to fill out a form (usually given to you inside the airplane with normal carriers), in duplex, which is also stamped and stapled to the same page as your passport.

Care to guess what that piece of paper is ?  tiphat Its a visa of course! It is free of charge and absolutely hassle-free that is true, but it is still a visa. visa-free regime in this case refers to the price , its free of charge. Sometimes they skip stapling it to your passport and you are instructed to "not loose" this piece of paper.

Hell, its even written on the paper , виза

Here is a picture of the thing :

OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:41:37 AM »

Yet you are required to fill out a form (usually given to you inside the airplane with normal carriers), in duplex, which is also stamped and stapled to the same page as your passport.

Care to guess what that piece of paper is ?  tiphat Its a visa of course! It is free of charge and absolutely hassle-free that is true, but it is still a visa. visa-free regime in this case refers to the price , its free of charge. Sometimes they skip stapling it to your passport and you are instructed to "not loose" this piece of paper.

Hell, its even written on the paper , виза

I take it you are referring to the customs declaration, which has been used for many years. On it, you detail any property you are bringing in as well as how much cash you have with you as well (over some minimum amount I forget just now).

This is *not* a visa.

I have never seen it "stapled" into the passport, nor heard of that being done.

Apparently, you seem a little unclear about what a "visa" is. Also, "visa free" means "without visa" and not "free (of charge) visa."

For a U.S. citizen, then, even though you enter without a visa if you are a tourist or on a private visit, you still must have an entry stamp (which is not a visa) and the customs declaration (which is also not a visa).

Thanks for playing, though.

(I wouldn't make a big deal about this, but there are people on these boards who have never made the trip who should at least get accurate information.)

David

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 07:46:46 AM »

Apparently, you seem a little unclear about what a "visa" is. Also, "visa free" means "without visa" and not "free (of charge) visa."

For a U.S. citizen, then, even though you enter without a visa if you are a tourist or on a private visit, you still must have an entry stamp (which is not a visa) and the customs declaration (which is also not a visa).

(I wouldn't make a big deal about this, but there are people on these boards who have never made the trip who should at least get accurate information.)

David
You don't need to, you have a residence card.

If you are willing to wait, I will see if i can dig up the filled out example stapled to my own passport from the picture above. In arrival-box-7 is the word "tourist" , which makes this a tourist visa.

I am also not making a big deal out of this visa. But in strict technical terms, this is indeed a "visa"  in the legal sense of the word.  You obviously don't fly as a tourist anymore (since you have a residence permit) , but as of Aug-2009 it was still the norm with this piece of paper. I will fly again in June 2010, so I will get an update to this thread if needed.

I am just stating this because someone upthread mentioned this visa thing as "agency bullshit" whilst, it is clearly not.
In the czech-republ. there is no 90-day maximum ,therefore it is totally visa free. Unlike the Ukraine where you still need a visa.

Filling out the paper form is enough. But it is still a visa.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
Print your own here:

http://www.windrose.aero/files/articles/14/53/Imm_Card_psw.pdf

(Link courtesy of TrevorM)

Offline Norwegian

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Like Vinnvinny posted in the link, i belive it`s called an immigration card.
I have NEVER declared anything on this form when entering Ukraine. You only write down your name,sex,passport-number,date of birth, purpose of journey,flightnumber, citicenship and the adress where you are staying.
Then they stamp it and your passport, and give you one half of it to carry with you.
You give back your half when leaving Ukraine.

I have never written down on any form, what i am bringing in, or how much cash i have with me.
Of course i have never been stopped and controlled , because i always walk through the green zone
after the passport-control. ;D
I believe that declaring items and money is done after the passport-control, next to the green and red zones.

I`m heading for Kharkov on Sunday, and i`m sure nothing has changed since February. :plane:
"The man who stands at a strange threshold, should be cautious before he cross it.
Glance this way and that. Who knows beforehand what foes may sit, awaiting him in the hall?" -Odin

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
... are you taking your sword?  :innocent:

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
More agency BS .......

Russian bride VS Czech bride

If you are considering searching for a woman from Eastern Europe, you might want to know some brief facts.

Lets pick up the bullshit for those less knowing than you.

The Czech Republic (former Czechoslovakia) is a European Union country. Czech ladies have easy access to all EU countries, also they do not need VISA for travel to the USA. Visit the website of the Embassy of the United States in Prague.
Absolutely true. Czech women enjoy the same visa regime as other Schengen countries. Therefore women from the Czech republic can travel freely in the western world. (Including he good 'ole USA)

If you are an American than you need a visa to travel to Russia or Ukraine. You do not need a visa to travel to the Czech Republ.
whilst this is a half-truth, it is still true that you do not need a visa to travel to Czech Republik. You do need a visa for Ukraine but its a mere formality in the Airport. You also need a visa for Russia. (Which is easy to get for tourists). Probably written 5 years ago, when you still needed  an extensive Visa procedure for Ukraine.

If you watch the news you probably know that many places in Russia or Ukraine are currently not very safe.

Prague as well as the rest of the Czech Republic, is very safe and welcoming to foreign visitors.
Moreover, it is not expensive to travel to Prague, and it's very inexpensive once you are there. This is not the case in Russia or Ukraine.
Not totally true, but not bullshit either. If you are a flamboyant American flashing his  :money: , you will less likely be robbed in Prague than in ukraine/russia. You will of course, still be fleeced by taxi drivers, etc. etc. but thieves are as unlikely as in New York.

Czech women have closer ties to Western culture in terms of their education, culture, beauty, health and English language skills.

http://www.czech-bride.com/russian-bride.php
I found that to be absolutely true. Whilst you have to search long and hard for english-speaking people in Russia/Ukraine. It is mostly not a problem in Czech Republik. If the person you talk to doesn't speak English, usually there is someone within hearing distance who is willing to help you out and does speak English.

Total bullshit? no. Outdated facts: Yes in 1 or 2 cases.

Mark.

I don’t consider the Ukrainian piece of paper a visa as such and definitely not in quite the way FH have suggested. All you need is a passport and a pulse and you’re in.

With regards to English ability then hmmmmmm. Sure, more people in Prague speak English than say in Kiev but go a few miles out to say Horomerice (where I used to live) are you will quickly have to resort to sign language to be understood.

Which ‘news’ do they refer to? Not my experience when comparing Ukraine with CZ. Having been to many outlying places in Ukraine I have always found everyone overly friendly compared to the residents of Ostrava, Brno and Plzen. CZ inexpensive compared to Ukraine? I don’t think so.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
Like Vinnvinny posted in the link, i belive it`s called an immigration card.
I have NEVER declared anything on this form when entering Ukraine. You only write down your name,sex,passport-number,date of birth, purpose of journey,flightnumber, citicenship and the adress where you are staying.
Then they stamp it and your passport, and give you one half of it to carry with you.
You give back your half when leaving Ukraine.

The form that we have all filled in numerous times when entering Ukraine is called a "Foreigners Immigration Card"  I keep a stock of them and fill them in at home to save time. I have NEVER had one stapled into my passport.

I have never written down on any form, what i am bringing in, or how much cash i have with me.
Of course i have never been stopped and controlled , because i always walk through the green zone
after the passport-control. ;D

I have been asked a few times what cash I am taking into Ukraine and also asked what cash I am taking out of Ukraine, but I tend to  just tell them $200 or so, even though usually it is a lot more, I have never been searched after being asked and the only time I have had to fill in a form to say what money, valuables, gifts etc I was taking into Ukraine was when KLM or Air France have lost my baggage, which happens to be 4 times in the last couple of years  :( then you have to tell them everything including your inside leg measurement and when was the last time you visited the kasi,  :chuckle:   its a real PIA  (:)

I believe that declaring items and money is done after the passport-control, next to the green and red zones.

Correct
Слава Україні

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »

David
You don't need to, you have a residence card.

If you are willing to wait, I will see if i can dig up the filled out example stapled to my own passport from the picture above. In arrival-box-7 is the word "tourist" , which makes this a tourist visa.

I am also not making a big deal out of this visa. But in strict technical terms, this is indeed a "visa"  in the legal sense of the word.  You obviously don't fly as a tourist anymore (since you have a residence permit) , but as of Aug-2009 it was still the norm with this piece of paper. I will fly again in June 2010, so I will get an update to this thread if needed.

I am just stating this because someone upthread mentioned this visa thing as "agency bullshit" whilst, it is clearly not.
In the czech-republ. there is no 90-day maximum ,therefore it is totally visa free. Unlike the Ukraine where you still need a visa.

Filling out the paper form is enough. But it is still a visa.

Markje,

First, I did not have a residence card when I last entered Ukraine. I have only had it for two months or so now.

Second, because the arrival form designates you are a "tourist" does not in any way make it a "visa."

Of course, what do I know--I only practiced immigration and nationality law in the U.S. for ten years, dealing with these matters on a regular basis during that time. This was about a third of my practice, with a little general civil law and a great deal of family law matters. After my own divorce, I returned to corporate communications, as my heart just wasn't in law practice any more.

However, don't take my word for it--take the word of the government of Ukraine: http://www.ukrconsul.org/visa/visa_drops.htm

As you can see from the list on that page, citizens of many countries do not require a visa to enter.

David

Offline Norwegian

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
Yes Vinn. This time i will take my sword. :-X 
Only ash can stop me.. ;D
"The man who stands at a strange threshold, should be cautious before he cross it.
Glance this way and that. Who knows beforehand what foes may sit, awaiting him in the hall?" -Odin

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
Yes Vinn. This time i will take my sword. :-X 
Only ash can stop me.. ;D

......  I cant see a bit of ash stopping a Viking Warrior.  tiphat

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
Re: About Visas and Landing Cards in Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
Legally, it is exactly a visa, it even says so in the print.

But I give up, I see there's no convincing you guys that something "easy" is a visa. If its easy, it cant be a visa, right?

If it is not a visa, how the hell does the 90-day limit apply. Only a tourist visa with a maximum days of 90 is capable of that kind of limit.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

Markje, maybe you could post a picture of what you consider being a visa (with that print for all of us to see  :innocent: ) - surely after erasing your personal details from there?
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
A word of warning about printing your own entry/exit card ahead of time...
 DON'T DO IT.

I did and was chidded by then for not using the "Official" issued one. Even though it says the exact same thing they want the standard one used.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »

A word of warning about printing your own entry/exit card ahead of time...  DON'T DO IT.

I did and was chidded by then for not using the "Official" issued one.

Even though it says the exact same thing they want the standard one used.

AFAIK, each landing (immigration) card has its own number?
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 05:32:57 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing and serial numbers on them. Possibly I missed it but I doubt it. They just don't like any changes to the system I'd say.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
Might it look something like this????

Offline BCKev

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »
Yah, ECR, that looks like a Ukraine visa!

My understanding of the "visa" line on the landing/immigration card is that it is the place to record information on the visa that you would already have (if it was required). Looks like the same card that was in use prior to summer/2005 when Canucks and others required a visa.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
Every Ukraine visa I have seen is not stapled, but glued to a page of the passport so that it cannot be removed without damaging it so it can not be put in another passport. If anything is stapled to a passport, that is an immediate clue that it is *not* a visa.

Second, the line asking for a visa number is for the person filling out the form to complete if a visa has been issued. No visa required, it is left blank.

Somewhere in the past, I have run across the phrase about a "hard-headed Dutchman"--although I think originally it was meant to refer to Germans. However, our friend Markje seems to give credence to the phrase as occasionally apt...since he refuses to believe the Ukraine government itself on the topic or the experience of others on the list.

Who, pray tell, would be better able to show whether a visa is required than the Ukraine government? Perhaps they should check with Markje first to be sure they know what they are doing!   ;D

David

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »
Might it look something like this????

Every Ukraine visa I have seen is not stapled, but glued to a page of the passport so that it cannot be removed without damaging it so it can not be put in another passport. If anything is stapled to a passport, that is an immediate clue that it is *not* a visa.

No, Mike is not talking about the visa, but about the "Immigration card"
Pictured below:

Here is a picture of the thing :

But I give up, I see there's no convincing you guys that something "easy" is a visa. If its easy, it cant be a visa, right?

No it isn't a visa, but it's an Immigration card. The reason that it has "visa" witten on line 7 is that it's the same card that was used from before '05, when you still needed a visa. At that time, you had to write your visa # on line 7, but now you just leave it blank.

If it is not a visa, how the hell does the 90-day limit apply. Only a tourist visa with a maximum days of 90 is capable of that kind of limit.

Because anytime you are stopped by militia (or at the exit control when leaving) you are limited to a 90 day stay, counted from you "entry" stamp on your passport, unless you also have permission to stay as a resident (as dbneely did)

Offline Chris

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 02:13:19 AM »
 DON'T DO IT.

I did and was chidded by then for not using the "Official" issued one. Even though it says the exact same thing they want the standard one used.

Mike I don't ever print them off I grab handfulls each time passing through a Ukrainian airport so I am always prepared and it saves all that hassle on the plane or when landing, when we all have to sprint like Linford Christy to get to the head of the queue to save minutes  hours waiting in line.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:23 AM »

No it isn't a visa, but it's an Immigration card. The reason that it has "visa" witten on line 7 is that it's the same card that was used from before '05, when you still needed a visa. At that time, you had to write your visa # on line 7, but now you just leave it blank.

As I said up thread, its called a Foreigner Immigration Card, and no Olga there are never any sequential numbers printed on them, they are just fairly simple small pieces of paper, with two parts, one for entry and one for exit. They stamp your passport as stated by Voyager/Dave on entry and that starts the 90 day time limit.
Слава Україні

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2010, 02:17:13 AM »
 DON'T DO IT.

Mike I don't ever print them off I grab handfulls each time passing through a Ukrainian airport so I am always prepared and it saves all that hassle on the plane or when landing, when we all have to sprint like Linford Christy to get to the head of the queue to save minutes  hours waiting in line.

And don't get stuck in the sorry predicament of being without a writing utensil (like some dopey Canadian  :chuckle: ) as you won't find any in the arrival area  >:(