The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Computer Help Desk  (Read 69415 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Computer Help Desk
« Reply #225 on: March 12, 2016, 12:59:36 PM »
Thx..Markje..I chose SUSIE as it had a stable Google Chrome version !))

I tried Google Chrome..[The L is crucia?..i.e.xo different? l]   on the Lubuntu distro.. Chrome was unstable....

I like the Yast GUI...keeps me clear of command line 'fun'.
CentOS, Suse, RHEL, Fedora Core, they all use the same setup tool , rpm (redhat package manager) on which they built a shell.
Yast for Suse, Yum for the others.

Chrome is also available on CentOS :
sudo yum install https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_x86_64.rpm

If you like gui's so much, you will find Yum very pleasant to work with, whereas yast still has major flaws.
ila_rendered

Lubuntu means lightweight desktop, instead of a full-featured one. I didn't think you'd want to use it since your goal is to avoid the command line.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #226 on: March 12, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »
Thanks, Markje..

I started off wanting to use Lubuntu..as it COULD fit on a CD.

I only wwnt to SUSIE as it was recommended as still being serious... used for biz, 'respectable' and stable..and guaranteed to work with Goggle Chrome.

If you know a release that comes with a lot of buz stuff..like office eqivs pre installed..that WILL work with Teamviwer 11 and Chrome..not Chromium...that would be..

Great...))

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2016, 02:33:30 PM »
Thanks, Markje..

I only wwnt to SUSIE as it was recommended as still being serious... used for biz, 'respectable' and stable..and guaranteed to work with Goggle Chrome.

If you know a release that comes with a lot of buz stuff..like office eqivs pre installed..that WILL work with Teamviwer 11 and Chrome..not Chromium...that would be..

Great...))

OSX......
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »
Thanks, Markje..

Great...))

Suse = (Software und System Entwicklung) (OpenSUSE being the free variant)

CentOS = (Community Enterprise operating system). Its the free variant of "Red Hat Enterprise Linux"

Be sure to check all the boxes you want when choosing software. The rest can be installed later.

One of the first things you should do is install the "epel" package (extra packages for Enterprise Linux).

It can preinstall Libre-office, gnucash and other biz-software, but only if you select it during software selections.

No worries though, everything you don't select can still be installed afterwards if it has an internet connection.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »
OSX......
Is it free? (Without advocating piracy)
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2016, 01:08:55 AM »
update

While OpenSuse may be a package for corporates, I've now setup Lubuntu on several 8 plus year old pcs and found them as fast usng word processors or simple spreadsheets as a 1 year old windows 10pc

This all started off because I had inherited old kit and it was scheduled for the waste tip.

From a standalone perspective the installs are now a doddle - learnt how to 'allow' the OS to find WiFi :chuckle:

Sadly, google have just stopped support for the 32bit version of Chrome - so if you guys know how to do it...please let me know as Virtual Machines are a bit beyond me : :-[

Lubuntu has more simple versions of Office compatible software.. less powerful thanLibre Office - but good enough for most home / small office use

Now, to get them sharing printers as CUPS1.75 seems to allow other pcs to see my wireless hp all in one and 'recommended driver' are installed ... but 'test pages' disappear into the ether and I cannot edit the config file as I am asked for a root password and I'm sure all my group getting are correct ..the brilliant thing about Linux dstros is there are enthusiasts who want to help ...but one has to be careful that their 'fix' doesn't bugger something else up ... so one has to read many answers

If you had a pc / laptop you were going to throw away - you should look at making a bootable CD / flash stick and you might be surprised.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2016, 01:22:06 AM »
A few days ago a hard drive died on my main work PC. As a result I had to retrieve from a backup all my 'stuff' and reinstall a load of applications onto a new drive.

I came upon a neat tool that enables one to install, in the background and with no fuss, a whole slew of applications - those freebies that we all use and sometimes forget we have on our machines.

The application is called Ninite: https://ninite.com it is free and works very well. I have probably saved a good hour or so of messing around.

Three thumbs up for Ninite!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2016, 01:40:41 AM »
A few days ago a hard drive died on my main work PC. As a result I had to retrieve from a backup all my 'stuff' and reinstall a load of applications onto a new drive.

I came upon a neat tool that enables one to install, in the background and with no fuss a whole slew of applications - those freebies that we all use and sometimes forget we have on our machines.

The application is called Ninite: https://ninite.com it is free and works very well. I have probably saved a good hour or so of messing around.

Ninite looks very cool. Soon you'll have unix-like package management.  :smokin:
OO===[][]===OO

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2016, 03:45:01 AM »

I came upon a neat tool that enables one to install, in the background and with no fuss a whole slew of applications - those freebies that we all use and sometimes forget we have on our machines.

Ninite looks very cool. Soon you'll have unix-like package management.  :smokin:

Interesting, thanks  tiphat I use Apple so I am less vulnerable, but.

UNIX has been around for a while, do some think it will win out in the end?

I look at this from a financial standpoint and I have doubts.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »
UNIX has been around for a while, do some think it will win out in the end?

I look at this from a financial standpoint and I have doubts.
You have to look at the use-case:

Telephones: Unix has won, with over 90% of market share.
Desktops/laptops : Not by a long shot, Windows is still the dominator
Servers : Unix on the biggest platforms in the world, but its dominance is tested by windows-VM's.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:04 AM »
AvHdB, every disk will fail at some point. It is not a matter of which operating system you happen to prefer to use.

For you there is this service: http://www.getmacapps.com/ It is Ninite for MacOS.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2016, 06:09:17 AM »
AvHdB, every disk will fail at some point. It is not a matter of which operating system you happen to prefer to use.

For you there is this service: http://www.getmacapps.com/ It is Ninite for MacOS.
You don't know that andrew, maybe his mac has a raid-array instead of a single disk.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »

You don't know that andrew, maybe his mac has a raid-array instead of a single disk.

But a RAID never stops a disk from failing, it might just make it easier to recover from. :) 
If I was any kind of sensible I'd have my NAS set up as a RAID 1 for important stuff and not JBOD for all my movies and tv. But now I have the thing set up to mirror my documents and desktop to Dropbox. I guess that'll do for now.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »

But a RAID never stops a disk from failing, it might just make it easier to recover from. :) 
If I was any kind of sensible I'd have my NAS set up as a RAID 1 for important stuff and not JBOD for all my movies and tv. But now I have the thing set up to mirror my documents and desktop to Dropbox. I guess that'll do for now.
Careful, Dropbox isn't a proper backup.

If you delete something by accident, it won't be recoverable on Dropbox.

I used to store with dropbox, but now a cheap competitor takes the cake. Eur10/month , for 2Terabyte storage in the cloud.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »
Yes, I understand that. But I already have 1TB with Dropbox where only a small part is used for other work stuff (I use it for daily backups of WordPress sites). The idea isn't that it should be a backup, as such, but that I can use the same desktop files on each machine - handy when I travel and stuff that is traveling through Desktop will end up in a backed up place anyway so I should not find myself accidentally deleting stuff any more than I already do now (which is very rarely) and I still have the Recycle Bin for those times. If an 'accident' happens again I will be safe, just get to work on another machine and then add the share back to a new hard drive.

Fortunately, most of the stuff that was a problem on the Desktop was already replicated on one of my laptops, I keep Zips of all my content acquisitions and all I really lost was the notes I was making for the automation of content posting and image tagging and my coder has everything except my most recent late night notes.

Offline Boris

« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »
Linux Mint on rigs I don't want to mess with much. Arch for learning things and forcing sporadic migraines...:-) I have Linux Mint 18 running on a 2011 Macbook Air. Runs like a champ. Also use OSX on latest Macbook Pro. Retina display with pixel doubling is great for the eyes :-) Yes, I'm posting this from a Windows laptop. Have to stay current because both of my wives and kids (two in University) all use windows. I am the resident tech support serf. Convinced one of my sons to use a Chromebook. Once he adjusted it has been painless for him. Yes, Moby...they all run Chrome :-)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »
Hi Boris

My coz in Manchester persuaded me to dual boot a new WINDOWS HP laptop into Mint..

I was initially impressed ...best Linux used to Windows / Macs so far..

Then hit DNS issues that date back years - not fixed - websites would not load unless using ip addresses  - fixed my entering 8.8.8.8 ( Google DNS) into connection settings for internet

SKYPE - AGE OLD issue with audio sounding crummy unless adding pulseaudio ...

I uninstalled it - as these little things proved that essential stuff is still not fixed -despite being known about for 3 plus years.

Lastly, I login from overseas - using teamviewer - and one cannot reboot a Linux PC - useless

Now left with  a grub dual boot menu that /fixmbr does not remove :) Have to press F9 and choose windows..

I want to use Linux - but until these longterm issues get sorted .. my Teamviewer host is a Desktop PC running WIN 7

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: Computer Help Desk - sky hates modern tech and really is Russophobic
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2016, 06:45:02 AM »
Tried to watch Man Utd v Leicester

Running Win 10 and Chrome browser

1/ tells me 'can't work' - you aren't using English lang and/ or in correct time zone ?  I am on UK English and correct time zone as default..Removed Russian (and French) - SOLVED ? They weren't the defaults ...?

2/ Retry  - ''The browser you are using no longer supports watching TV on this website.
Don't worry you can keep using this service on your computer via other browsers like Internet Explorer. - I use Google Chrome...

''We're sorry for any inconvenience this change may cause.''

3/Try Microsoft Edge - the replacement for Explorer  ''You’ve stumbled upon some vintage web tech
This website runs on older) technology and will only work in Internet Explorer. ''

After a week when I had my first SKY Q install - in a property that has been restored and all rooms have ethernet ports - the SKY guy insisted in using 5 GHz Wifi - '' works better and we aren't trained for cable'' - leaving booster boxes in stupid places, to eliminate - (they didn't) blind spots - so I removed them and set up wired in two minutes while he watched - and could put TV where I wanted it -and receiver behind darkened glass ..

I have to wonder if SKY realise it is 2016 and lots of people speak more than English and they like to watch tv where they want it - not where SKY's 'wifi' will (not ) ... reach.

Registration