The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Computer Help Desk  (Read 39510 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Computer Help Desk
« Reply #240 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »
Yes, I understand that. But I already have 1TB with Dropbox where only a small part is used for other work stuff (I use it for daily backups of WordPress sites). The idea isn't that it should be a backup, as such, but that I can use the same desktop files on each machine - handy when I travel and stuff that is traveling through Desktop will end up in a backed up place anyway so I should not find myself accidentally deleting stuff any more than I already do now (which is very rarely) and I still have the Recycle Bin for those times. If an 'accident' happens again I will be safe, just get to work on another machine and then add the share back to a new hard drive.

Fortunately, most of the stuff that was a problem on the Desktop was already replicated on one of my laptops, I keep Zips of all my content acquisitions and all I really lost was the notes I was making for the automation of content posting and image tagging and my coder has everything except my most recent late night notes.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Boris

« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2016, 08:34:06 AM »
Linux Mint on rigs I don't want to mess with much. Arch for learning things and forcing sporadic migraines...:-) I have Linux Mint 18 running on a 2011 Macbook Air. Runs like a champ. Also use OSX on latest Macbook Pro. Retina display with pixel doubling is great for the eyes :-) Yes, I'm posting this from a Windows laptop. Have to stay current because both of my wives and kids (two in University) all use windows. I am the resident tech support serf. Convinced one of my sons to use a Chromebook. Once he adjusted it has been painless for him. Yes, Moby...they all run Chrome :-)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »
Hi Boris

My coz in Manchester persuaded me to dual boot a new WINDOWS HP laptop into Mint..

I was initially impressed ...best Linux used to Windows / Macs so far..

Then hit DNS issues that date back years - not fixed - websites would not load unless using ip addresses  - fixed my entering 8.8.8.8 ( Google DNS) into connection settings for internet

SKYPE - AGE OLD issue with audio sounding crummy unless adding pulseaudio ...

I uninstalled it - as these little things proved that essential stuff is still not fixed -despite being known about for 3 plus years.

Lastly, I login from overseas - using teamviewer - and one cannot reboot a Linux PC - useless

Now left with  a grub dual boot menu that /fixmbr does not remove :) Have to press F9 and choose windows..

I want to use Linux - but until these longterm issues get sorted .. my Teamviewer host is a Desktop PC running WIN 7

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Computer Help Desk - sky hates modern tech and really is Russophobic
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2016, 06:45:02 AM »
Tried to watch Man Utd v Leicester

Running Win 10 and Chrome browser

1/ tells me 'can't work' - you aren't using English lang and/ or in correct time zone ?  I am on UK English and correct time zone as default..Removed Russian (and French) - SOLVED ? They weren't the defaults ...?

2/ Retry  - ''The browser you are using no longer supports watching TV on this website.
Don't worry you can keep using this service on your computer via other browsers like Internet Explorer. - I use Google Chrome...

''We're sorry for any inconvenience this change may cause.''

3/Try Microsoft Edge - the replacement for Explorer  ''You’ve stumbled upon some vintage web tech
This website runs on older) technology and will only work in Internet Explorer. ''

After a week when I had my first SKY Q install - in a property that has been restored and all rooms have ethernet ports - the SKY guy insisted in using 5 GHz Wifi - '' works better and we aren't trained for cable'' - leaving booster boxes in stupid places, to eliminate - (they didn't) blind spots - so I removed them and set up wired in two minutes while he watched - and could put TV where I wanted it -and receiver behind darkened glass ..

I have to wonder if SKY realise it is 2016 and lots of people speak more than English and they like to watch tv where they want it - not where SKY's 'wifi' will (not ) ... reach.