The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Computer Help Desk  (Read 69417 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Computer Help Desk
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »
My main computer has been playing up. I know a lot of you guys are savvy on such stuff so I thought I would ask.

I have plenty of gigs and rams and stuff and run XP.

Symptoms:

• Mouse/keyboard freezing up. Leave it a few minutes and they return to normal on their own
  • Computer has restarted itself a few times and then given the error message that it has "recovered from a serious error"
  • It isn't recognizing some USB devices plugged into it - sticks mostly.
  • Sometimes starts up in a heartbeat - sometimes takes ages and/or freezes on start up. Sometimes wont shut down on its own.
  • Random stuff - like today the bottom toolbar and all desktop icons vanished. They all came back with a reboot.

I've done the usual stuff, cleared cache, deleted old files, run maintenance, defragged, several virus sweeps, etc.

Its probably not the processor/powerpack overheating as it gets better with time if anything. Leave it on all night and its tickety boo next morning still. (I replaced the power pack and processor recently anyway actually).

Sometimes it can freeze up six times in an hour and then be OK the rest of the day. Its quite random.

All the new stuff I fitted a while back had SATA connections (whatever they are) but I didn't change the hard drive - is this the hard drive dying?

It froze up last night during a Skype call and cut me off (headset is USB). Had to reboot that time.

The only new hardware/software recently is a new D-Link router.

Suggestions and thoughts welcome. Apart from changing the hard drive (which is a ton of work reinstalling all your crap as you know) I am out of ideas.......
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline MND

• Trips: 10-20
Re: Computer Help Desk
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
Hey Manny it sounds as if the hard drive is getting to hot or it is on its way out  that would cause the shutdowns and the errors you are talking about.
The other possibility is the motherboard is dying and has a fault on it.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »
IMac Apple

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »
- Not recognizing some USB devices that are plugged in can have many causes from the ports being partially clogged with dirt or problems with the connection.  The USB connection inside the computer could be loose and several others.
- Mouse and keyboard freezing up and then returning to normal first thing to do is to try the keyboard/mouse on another computer, if it happens there it's a keyboard/mouse problem if not it's probably driver problem or maybe a connection problem on the computer side. 
- Computer has restarted itself a few times and then given the error message that it has "recovered from a serious error" is getting to be a serious problem and could be anything from a virus to a problem with the O/S.  Unfortunately the best solution for this is probably to reinstall the O/S.
- Toolbar and desktop icons not appearing on startup is because a step was probably skipped in the startup routine with the O/S.  Once again it's looking like replacing the O/S is the best bet.
- Varying speeds for startup is once again looking like problems with the O/S.  Replacing the O/S is again probably the best bet.

If you can't do the work yourself your best bet is to get a tech guy at your local computer shop to do it unfortunately it can be expensive.  In Vancouver they charge $35/hr CAN.  If your computer is more than 3+ years old it is probably best to get a new computer.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline MND

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:45:36 PM »
I have seen these faults many times before and most times it is the hard drive on the way out and sometimes it is the heatshield on the motherboard causing the computer to shutdown and causing the same sort of faults.

9 x out of 10 the error will be a thermal error you should check your event log on your computer not sure what computer you have but try this

Check your event Event Viewer:
Start > Run, type eventvwr
Check the Application and System errors. Note the date and time.

If you do not know how to read the error logs post them up here and i will interpret them for you.

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 01:33:08 AM »
Event viewer - cool. Never knew that was there!  ;D

I guess the bunches of red crosses all together are what I am looking for?

When opened they all say the same: Event Type:   Error, Event Source:   Disk - Event Category: None - Event ID:   7

Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk5\D, has a bad block.

Data:
0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00   ..h...¶.
0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 04 c0   .......À
0010: 00 01 00 00 9c 00 00 c0   ....œ..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0028: 10 32 00 00 00 00 00 00   .2......
0030: ff ff ff ff 00 00 00 00   ÿÿÿÿ....
0038: 40 00 00 c4 02 00 00 00   @..Ä....
0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 02 20 00   . ..@. .
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00   ........
0050: 00 60 5c 89 48 67 65 8a   .`\‰HgeŠ
0058: 00 00 00 00 b8 2c 67 8a   ....¸,gŠ
0060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0068: 28 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   (.......
0070: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
0078: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0c   p.......
0080: 00 00 00 00 11 11 00 00   ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:04 AM »
This may not help (best ask the guys above first) and I have no idea what the above means, but have you tried a System Restore back to a point when everything was running well? I tend to have to do that from time to time.

Start>all programmes>accessories> system tools>system restore and then choose a date when you know it was running fine

EDIT just checked my event viewer and there were only about 3 error messages going back over a 4 month period.

But reading the above it seems to be something bigger  :)
Слава Україні

Offline Boris

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 04:52:25 AM »
Manny,

It's time to get rid of the Commodore 64.  :laugh:

You've got a bad hard drive. Back up the info that you want to keep on a thumb drive. Go get a new hard drive and the reinstall your OS, apps and data. It may be cheaper, and less painful, just to go out and get a new computer.

B.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:10:00 AM »
I agree totally with Boris about the hard drive. That screenshot leaves no mystery  :8)

Also, bad blocks on a hard drive are like viruses. They multiply more quickly when they become more in numbers.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline sparky114

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:29:43 AM »
Yep exactly what I had with my hard drive :scared0005:

and the log looks so similar :(

Get a mass storage device or a back up hard drive and get the stuff off the old one now

i lost lots of photos and documents when mine went down :(

Will never not back up again!!! :party0011:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline MND

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
OK Manny it is as i suspected the hard drive, probably due to overheating as there is an error there that relates to thermal. Get all your files off your hard drive and backed up onto a stand alone hard drive if you can. As there are some thermal errors there this may be a good time to upgrade your whole computer system with a new one with better cooling fans or you could face the same problem as i did down the track having the same problem happening again (Bloody Computers).

I know it is a pain to have to do but its better than losing everything for good.

I dont know what it is with hard drives these days but i have replaced 3 in the last 18 months I run PC Alert 4 to keep check on the voltages and temps on my computer its a free software.

Offline MND

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 07:19:35 PM »
Yep exactly what I had with my hard drive :scared0005:

and the log looks so similar :(

Get a mass storage device or a back up hard drive and get the stuff off the old one now

i lost lots of photos and documents when mine went down :(

Will never not back up again!!! :party0011:

Hi Sparky i do the same back up to an external hard drive but where does it end as i have had an external hard drive go as well i was lucky that all the files i needed were still on my computer as well give or take a couple.

Offline Excedryn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:24 PM »
In complete agreeance. I say replace the internal HD and install only your OS/system peripheral drivers and then get an external HD for everything else. That is the way I am running my setup. Allows me to use my apps complete with any saved data with my laptop so I can be completely mobile and don't have to duplicate/migrate data between the 2.

If you upgrade your OS to Vista you can also create image copies of your system and save it to DVD (if you don't like the external HD idea) to back up your entire system at once so in case of any error which would require a reinstall you can just use the backup image to reinstall everything at once.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller
US blind & deaf educator (1880 - 1968)

Offline MND

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:19 PM »
While we are on the subject of computers any of you guys running windows 7 i am looking at going from vista to this as it looks like it is the answer to everything vista was supposed to be.

Offline froid

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »
Manny...even if you don't do anything right away...I'd take a backup of all your stuff if I were you. 

Hi Schast.  I just switched over all our computers this Christmas season to Windows 7.  I came from XP though so I can't comment on the improvement from Vista.  I will say that execpt for Mila's laptop losing the shared printer once I haven't had any issues at all. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
While we are on the subject of computers any of you guys running windows 7 i am looking at going from vista to this as it looks like it is the answer to everything vista was supposed to be.

I have some business acquaintances now using W7, and some of our software is being used on W7 right now. W7 also gives you the advantage of running some programmes in Windows XP mode, all seem to be reporting it is working OK.
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »

Been using it since October last year!!!

Yes it is so much better than Vista and the space it frees up from you drive is most welcome to, i would say on older machines it is a must to upgrade to, just put it on a 7 year laptop and it works great.

Not had any problems with it, and at the moment i am on the Beta version of Office 2010 and that works great too and integrates with W7 nicely too
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »
Thanks to all for the input. Looks like its a hard drive then. I kinda expected that.

I keep nothing on the main unit since I lost it all once before so its only OS, programmes and settings. Still an afternoon tho.........

I managed to close the baby buggy today without notoicing wifeys brand new notebook was in the bottom - *crunch* *crack*.  :hidechair:

That'll be a new notebook screen and case then together with a hard drive.  :D

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 04:28:36 AM »

I managed to close the baby buggy today without noticing wifeys brand new notebook was in the bottom - *crunch* *crack*.  :hidechair:

Uuh!

Sounds like the trip to London has made a greater impact on your fragile northern nervous system than expected...  :biggrin:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:01 AM »
Thanks to all for the input. Looks like its a hard drive then. I kinda expected that.

I keep nothing on the main unit since I lost it all once before so its only OS, programmes and settings. Still an afternoon tho.........

I managed to close the baby buggy today without notoicing wifeys brand new notebook was in the bottom - *crunch* *crack*.  :hidechair:

That'll be a new notebook screen and case then together with a hard drive.  :D

Oooer! I hope it was a cheapy!
I have now learned to treat computers as disposable and the data as the thing of value.
Now I have the cheapest laptop I could buy with an operating system (here, many are sold without O/S even from the big manufacturers)
My data is stored externally from external hard drives running on a mini desktop at home and I access all my stuff (and run the desktop) from Real VNC. Next I intend to start running backups to Amazon S3, this will, effectively, offer free backups because there is currently no charge for uploads, downloads should be very rare and monthly storage costs for my 200Gb of data will be $3 per month.

This might seem like overkill but my business was crippled when my laptop was stolen in Spain last year. At that time I lost most of my content library, almost 1,000,000 articles and my arsenal of applications. The cost of setting up the current system was about €1000 including the external drives that I already owned. Monthly cost is less than the cost of burning DVD's with the monthly data growth.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
Wifey now has a new notebook - identical to the one I wrecked. Just waiting for the Cyrillic keyboard stickers now.....

Offline MND

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Thanks guys i will be swapping over to W7 next week I wont upgrade to W7 i will be running it on a new comp that comes out already installed. The fun job will be transferring all the files across to the new comp.

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 02:51:21 PM »
I changed the hard drive. Now it is freezing again, popping up error windows and the CD/DVD only works when it feels like it.

Could any of you guys tell me if this might indicate the motherboard is goosed please?

ila_rendered

Offline MND

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
It looks like it could be but before you replace motherboards try a registry cleaner first also look on the motherboard for dust build up especially around the heatsheild and vacum it if it needs it.
Also if the ram in your comp is not enough and you are using up 100% of this at times it will cause the same sort of fault freezing. shuting down etc.

Offline Manny

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »
It was. I bought a new one today then upgraded the processor at the same time.....then got carried away buying memory, a new cabinet, a 7 card reader, a silent power supply, a bunch of extra USB slots and a 22" HD monitor.  :chuckle:

£300 later, only the hard drive and a few slot in devices and drives remain from the old one. At least it doesn't freeze up any more.  :biggrin:

Registration