The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Spain, January 2010  (Read 9358 times)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Spain, January 2010
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline WestCoast

Re: Spain, January 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:12:14 PM »
Very nice photos Olga.  Spain in January, a nice change from the cold and snow of Moscow.  How was the weather in Spain?  Did you get a chance to go to the beach? 

I just got back from a rather nice vacation and spent about 2 weeks of it on the beach in Hawaii.  Did a little swimming, snorkelling, jetskiing, even managed to learn to surf a little.   :travel:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
Olga,

Thank you for the nice photos!

I have always wanted to go to Spain.

Someday!

wayne

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »

Very nice photos Olga.

Thank you  tiphat

Spain in January, a nice change from the cold and snow of Moscow.

Yes, indeed a nice change - especially the winter sales prices for clothes & handbags, and regular supermaket prices for red wine  :chuckle:

How was the weather in Spain?  

From -3C to 0C at night, from +3C to +9C duing the day. Some snow, some rain, some sunshine - but always windy.

Did you get a chance to go to the beach?  

??? There are not many beaches in Madrid and Toledo, actually   :chuckle:

It surely might be OK for the inhabitants of Canadian West Coast to go to the beach and take a dip when it's zero C outside, but for me - uuh a spoiled Muscovite! - that was a bit too cold  :hidechair:

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 02:48:25 AM »

Very nice photos Olga.

Thank you  tiphat

Spain in January, a nice change from the cold and snow of Moscow.

Yes, indeed a nice change - especially the winter sales prices for clothes & handbags, and regular supermaket prices for red wine  :chuckle:

How was the weather in Spain?  

From -3C to 0C at night, from +3C to +9C duing the day. Some snow, some rain, some sunshine - but always windy.

It surely might be OK for the inhabitants of Canadian West Coast to go to the beach and take a dip when it's zero C outside, but for me - uuh a spoiled Muscovite! - that was a bit too cold  :hidechair:

Olga even the tough inhabitants of the Canadian west coast don't go to the beach when the temperature is zero C outside, except for the January 1 Polar Bear Swim. 

We all go to Hawaii where it is  28 C outside and the beaches are always perfect  :plane:.  Seriously there is always a lot of Canadians in Hawaii during the winter.   
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:36 AM »

We've missed you W_C.. you plainly haven't been taking European Geography lessons, mate ;) The nearest coast in is nearly 300K (220 miles away !)

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:13 AM »

W_C... you plainly haven't been taking European Geography lessons, mate ;)

I guess he paid no attention to the clothes people on my pics were wearing either...  :biggrin:

As for European geography lessons, I'd refrain from throwing a stone commenting - as my own knowledge of Canadian geography is very limited...

Offline el_guero

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:38:45 AM »

We've missed you W_C.. you plainly haven't been taking European Geography lessons, mate ;) The nearest coast in nearly 300K (220 miles away !)

You might also point out, Hawaii is in the Pacific not the Med . . .

:plane:

Ah but if the plane is right, just a skip and a hop.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:57:49 AM »

I might also point out that I have simply posted a link to the pictures I've taken.

Never did I ask where West Coast prefers to go for his beach holidays. If he's volunteering this information - fine with me; I wouldn't scream out loud "That's an  :offtopic: !!!" - but, sincerely, I couldn't possibly care less  :biggrin:

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
??? There are not many beaches in Madrid and Toledo, actually   :chuckle:
We've missed you W_C.. you plainly haven't been taking European Geography lessons, mate ;) The nearest coast in nearly 300K (220 miles away !)

While Westy is famous for asking goofy, off topic and unrelated questions, he asked if she went to the beach
Before she told him where in Spain she went. She did note January in the Thread Title  ;D
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »

Before she told him where in Spain she went.

The locations (city name, etc.) are clearly indicated under each picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olga_mouse/sets/72157623634321010/detail/

I surely realize that an American or Canadian can't be expected to recognize European sights (even the ones included in World Cultural Heritage list - http://whc.unesco.org/en/list ) on the pictures; if they can tell Eiffel tower from Big Ben, and Prado from Hermitage, that's already a big achievement  :biggrin:

But was expecting the one who posts also being able to read too much?

Can't help remembering the old Soviet anecdote - Чукча не читатель, чукча писатель!  - and quoting Rasputin's post from another thread:

The problem IMHO is that too many men don't pay attention to what a woman is actually telling them.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
Hermitage?

A place for the hermits?

:8)

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »

Hermitage? A place for the hermits?

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/

Are you really blond, El Güero?  :D

Online 2tallbill

Spain, January 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
NOTE Bill is tired of Olga Mouse #$%$# superior attitude, most people should
skip this post.

I haven't looked at your photos, if I wanted to look at photos, I would go
online and look at ones that were professionally done. Photos that told me things
about them.

So you can stop with your "all Americans are inferior" and have a nice glass of sweet
Moscow tap water to cool down. Oh that's right you can't drink the water in Moscow.
It must be because they spent all their time on geography classes and not enough
learning how to not $H!T in their drinking water.

I would be interested in your impressions of what you saw but not your superiority
complex.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »
Bill, some of you guys are really special and I'd like you to know that we all value all of you, each and every special person here with us.

Yes Bill, you have a choice. You can look at Olga's pics or not.
Yes Bill, you have a choice. You can stay shtum and leave us to guess what kind of special person you are or you can write posts like yours above and remove all doubt about your specialness.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:27 PM »

NOTE: Bill is tired of Olga Mouse #$%$# superior attitude, most people should skip this post.

:popcorn:

I haven't looked at your photos,

I never claimed you did.

But as West Coast wrote "Very nice photos Olga", I presumed he looked at them - BEFORE I've mentionned here in what cities exactly I've been.

if I wanted to look at photos, I would go online and look at ones that were professionally done.

Photos that told me things about them.

Bill, you are surely free to make your own choices about what to look at, and what not to look at.

But wouldn't it be wiser to refrain from commenting about something you haven't looked at?  ???

So you can stop with your "all Americans are inferior" and have a nice glass of sweet Moscow tap water to cool down.

Could you please let me know how did you come to the conclusion that Moscow tap water is sweet?

And why do you think I shall cool down?  :innocent:

Oh that's right you can't drink the water in Moscow.

Bill, if YOU decide for yourself that YOU can't drink the water in Moscow - that's your own choice.

I personally drunk tap water during all my childhood & teenage years, and am still doing it from time to time now - even though I've brough a few bottles of nice dry red wine from Spain  :innocent:

It must be because they spent all their time on geography classes and not enough learning how to not $H!T in their drinking water.

...and who are they you are referring to? How are they related to the pictures I've taken in Spain?

I would be interested in your impressions of what you saw but not your superiority complex.

Bill, you claimed that the photos I've taken are unprofessional ones, that have not told you things about them - all even without looking at them.

I wrote above: As for European geography lessons, I'd refrain from commenting - as my own knowledge of Canadian geography is very limited...

You DO judge things you haven't even seen. I don't blame a Canadian for not knowing European geography, because I myself know very little about Canadian geography.

So who's having a superiority complex here then?  :innocent:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »

Sorry, I'm trying to work out who thought, otherwise...  :-[

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »

While Westy is famous for asking goofy, off topic and unrelated questions, he asked if she went to the beach
Before she told him where in Spain she went. She did note January in the Thread Title  ;D

Hi Beel, You are right of course.. sorry W_C ... I guess you assume all Russian like to swim any time and that Spain is 'warm' at this time of year..     :chuckle:

Last week Majorca Barcelona and some parts of the French Riviera had snow, too !

Olga: in flickr - before / after you upload your pictures, you can rename 'em and add 'tags'

by tagging them ( with say) Madrid you can later search 'em..

Flickr even has the opportunity to geo-tag (place a photo on a map)

http://www.*Unapproved Link*4409817524/

In this shot you can see we were off Cossack Square ;)

Offline el_guero

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »

Hermitage? A place for the hermits?

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/

Are you really blond, El Güero?  :D

Am I?  Yes, but that is not what "El Güero" means.  It is merely easier to translate roughly than to expect anglos to understand nuances of meaning.

;)

So, does this mean the hermits have a museum?  Might I find a note or two about Anthony?  Father Anthony the Great that is?

Or might I buy an egg instead?  I hear Faberge eggs are in vogue this time of year.

;)

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
Miss Mouse,

I acted and posted inappropriately and I humbly apologize for doing so.
I am sorry and will try to behave better in the future. I have asked others
to give the treat the few FSUW brave enough to post here more kindly and
I have acted hypocritically by doing the opposite.

In addition I specifically asked you to create a thread like this and when you
did, I treated you poorly. I hope that you forgive my poor behavior.

Bill

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 03:53:31 PM »
Bill, some of you guys are really special and I'd like you to know that we all value all of you, each and every special person here with us.

Yes Bill, you have a choice. You can look at Olga's pics or not.
Yes Bill, you have a choice. You can stay shtum and leave us to guess what kind of special person you are or you can write posts like yours above and remove all doubt about your specialness.

Yeah I am special, I got 4th place in the Special Olympics geography contest and spelling bee. I missed
the bronze medal by not making the common mistake of thinking New England was in Europe close to old
England kind of like New Mexico and Mexico are and that New Zealand was founded by a group of Zealots
hence the name. I luckily was able to spell USA correctly edging out the retarded boy from New Guinea which
many who don't know Geo graffy like me is where they mint English coins  :)

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
 Beautiful photos Olga. I was there in November and loved it. Spent most of my time in southern Spain (Andalucia Region) but a few days in Madrid as well. Plaza Mayor looks so empty in your photo....it was so crowded when we were there.

I fell in love with Spain and have a better appreciation for Muslim architecture too...so many amazing buildings and mosques converted to Christian churches (at least they didn't destroy them all) If you ever go back, visit the Alhambra in Granada...I will never forget this place.

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »

Beautiful photos Olga.

Thanks!  tiphat

Plaza Mayor looks so empty in your photo... it was so crowded when we were there.

This is the great advantage of traveling in the low season  :innocent:

If you ever go back, visit the Alhambra in Granada... I will never forget this place.

Not sure whether I will go BACK to the places I've already been to (twice Barcelona & around; once Madrid and Toledo); but surely the southern Spain is one of the priority destinations on my travel list  :nod:

Apart from Al Hambra, I'd like to see also Sevilla and Valencia  :innocent:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
Ms Mouse it's Alhambra  :-  .and you gotta see it..   Barce[lona] worth a visit ?

Hardly seen any Russians in Majorca [Mallorca] ....

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 03:52:09 PM »

Ms Mouse it's Alhambra  :-)  and you gotta see it...

The name is Arabic - and in Arabic "al" is an article  :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra

Barce[lona] worth a visit ?

SURE!!!  :o  

La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, La Pedrera, Casa Batllo, fountains' square, Barri Gotic, La Rambla, El Pueblo Espanol!!!

And if you have more time, take local trains to a) Tarragona (Roman amphitheater & great medieval cathedral ) and b) Figueres (Dali museum).

Hardly seen any Russians in Majorca [Mallorca] ...

Wait just 1 month, till May 1  :nod: