The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: marriage certificate translation  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
marriage certificate translation
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:44:46 AM »
Hi Guys

I need to have our marriage certificate translated and notarised , what in everybody's experience is the best service/way of getting it done. I'm looking if possible for a one-stop service, without having to take it to several different locations.

Before getting married the only place I could find was in central London and it cost me a small fortune for what was a very simple task.

P.S I'm a cheap son-of-a- :censored: so cost effectiveness is also appreciated.
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: marriage certificate translation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »
Over here in NL we have translators which are recognized by the Dutch court. These would normally be able to do the translation and notarization for you. I'm quite sure you have something similar in the UK. Price was EUR 0,20-0,30 per word or something if I recall correctly. I paid around EUR 30,- or 40,- for a small document (birth certificate or non-marriage certificate I believe) some years back.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
I always get translations and notarisations done in Ukraine, far cheaper, but you do usually have to visit a few different offices tio get them done. Still, compared to what it costs here it is worth it.

If your wife is from Ukraine/Russia, get her to get it done, its much easier over there.
Слава Україні

Offline dazzer

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
Before getting married the only place I could find was in central London and it cost me a small fortune for what was a very simple task.

I did the same thing via post with three documents i needed in order to get married and it was expensive, having sent them my English documents for translation too Ukrainian ,within a few days  they sent me what they called "proof copies" via email which they insisted i check for any inaccuracies and then subject to my acceptants (of which i could have only one attempt ) they would then have them certificate verified and send them to me :-X how was i supposed to read Ukrainian  ???.

I went on to email the proofs to Oksana, she then checked them and found my name on two of the three documents were wrong and one or two other details , as with chris i also now have all my translations done over there.

I realize this Isn't much help to you Bruce :biggrin:, but good luck with your question tiphat
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
Would she be offended to get a text without telling her ahead of time?

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
We just sent a cheque for 50 odd quid for this. For ONE document.  :D   Some Russian outfit in London wifey found that is "recommended" by the embassy. I was miffed at paying 50 odd quid, but the Russian embassy demanded a letterhead and a "stamp"  :-\  from the translator too. Both the translators we asked here have neither.

They wouldn't accept a wifey translation as it was for us (even though she has a damn stamp and a letterhead). They often wont accept a non-Russian notary as they cannot notarise a translation they cannot understand.

Wifey called Anastasia Ash, but it wasn't cheap and she has no stamp or letterhead. Ed was cheap enough and he has a lawyer who will do the business, but he has no stamp/letterhead either (I don't think anyone has MSWord in the States - tee hee!)

So we ended up biting the bullet and paying the "recommended" place in London. Wifey was miffed too, because as Chris says, notaries are on every corner over there, everyone has a stamp and it would only cost about 2 quid.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:06 AM »
They love their schtamps over there, everything needs at least two of them tio be official  :chuckle: of course, some people have been known to create their own  :-X   :chuckle: for certain reasons, but I wouldn't recommend it for something of this importance.
Слава Україні

Offline jimbo

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
We had to have this done so we called for a few quotes - this one was the best price we found:
http://www.rltranslations.co.uk
We just had to scan and send the docs and they were returned with notarisation the folowing week  :)

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
We just sent a cheque for 50 odd quid for this. For ONE document.  :D   Some Russian outfit in London wifey found that is "recommended" by the embassy. I was miffed at paying 50 odd quid, but the Russian embassy demanded a letterhead and a "stamp"  :-\  from the translator too. Both the translators we asked here have neither.

They wouldn't accept a wifey translation as it was for us (even though she has a damn stamp and a letterhead). They often wont accept a non-Russian notary as they cannot notarise a translation they cannot understand.

Wifey called Anastasia Ash, but it wasn't cheap and she has no stamp or letterhead. Ed was cheap enough and he has a lawyer who will do the business, but he has no stamp/letterhead either (I don't think anyone has MSWord in the States - tee hee!)

So we ended up biting the bullet and paying the "recommended" place in London. Wifey was miffed too, because as Chris says, notaries are on every corner over there, everyone has a stamp and it would only cost about 2 quid.
Could you PM me the company details when you get a moment please Manny.

Cheers

John (Bruce Lee)
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Phella

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
Hey Manny,

this is Sparky and Phella here can you send us the london translation office info

Cheers

Mark & Phil
Phil

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »
The one we recently used - which is apparently "recommended" by the embassy in London - is this one: http://visitrussia.org.uk/russian-english-translations/index.html the notarisation (in our case) is then done by the Russian consulate itself.

Wifey suggests calling the consulate on 0203 0511199 or 0845 8681199 930 (extension 930) to check the ever changing requirements for multiple stamps, etc. in your situation.

From my reading elsewhere, it seems a woman called Yelena here: http://www.talkrussian.com/certified.htm is au fait with this process as well, and somewhat cheaper than the outfit we used. Had I have known about her a few weeks ago, we would have more than likely used her instead.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Talkrussian

• Talk Russian
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

From my reading elsewhere, it seems a woman called Yelena here: http://www.talkrussian.com/certified.htm is au fait with this process as well, and somewhat cheaper than the outfit we used. Had I have known about her a few weeks ago, we would have more than likely used her instead.

Thank you for your recommendation. I will be happy to help. I am away from tomorrow afternoon until Sunday evening, but will certainly get back to you on my return if you still need your document translating. Please contact me through www.talkrussian.com or send me a PM. Thanks.