The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: leaving in 2 weeks for Kharkov  (Read 17985 times)

Offline idaho1

• "fortune favors the bold "
leaving in 2 weeks for Kharkov
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:22:49 AM »
I'm leaving in 2 weeks .Using the Mordinson Agency. Any advice from any one having experience with being married to a Ukrainian woman.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • "Helping People Understand Each Other"
    • OdessaGuide.Net
  • Trips: Resident
Re: leaving in 2 weeks for Kharkov
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:00:46 AM »
Make sure you exchange contact information with the woman and she actually agrees to meet you outside of the agency.
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »
Here is a visual tour of her city, and be sure to print off the Metro map so you know how to get around on your own.

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5657.0

Offline idaho1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
The agency is making the plans for the meetings and will supply a translator for my whole trip. The maps are great and I look forward to seeing the sights.. Also just to let people know I have been contacted by a person who has used the mordinson agency. They gave it a thumbs up...thanks

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:09:15 PM »
Using the Mordinson Agency.

They are known to be quite expensive. DO let us know how you get on.

Despite them being a bigger, older site, we have no accurate client info about them that I recall.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
I had heard that they Mordison were expensive too, they are now listed on Jims list as
a "white" company (so is Lada Girl). The advantage of an all inclusive agency is that it's
all inclusive the disadvantages are that other people have more control of the situation
than you do.

My primary recommendation is to have a back up plan. Get Stirlitz contact information, if
you get into a bind having someone who knows the lay of the land wouldn't be a bad idea.

My secondary recommendation is to read, read, read until your eyes bleed. In two weeks
you can learn a few Russian words and a few phrases. The ladies will appreciate you trying.  

Lastly keep us posted, you can do a trip report about your trip without getting into the
personal details if you wish.

Udachi  (good luck)

Bill

Some threads to get you started ...........

2tallbill how to get started thread.
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4390.60

Top ten things to tell a newbie
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=9107.30

The original tablets of Stone
this is a list of DO NOT DO THIS and expect to survive this process
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=3588.0

Trip reports are the most fun to read. You read about a guys trials and tribulations,
missteps, luck, etc. Things are different in the East and you can learn a lot from
them. The hardest part is remembering that YES the same thing could happen to
you. 

Here is a trip report I wrote about going WOVO (write one visit one) to
St Pete and things didn't work out so I visited many
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=467.0

This is a trip report wovo again this time to Dnepropetrovsk.
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=5560.0

This is an ongoing odyssey of Don Hollio in his years long quest
to find the future Mrs Don
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=1578.0

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline idaho1

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:31:07 AM »
Great ideas. Yes they are a little expensive. But This is my first trip ....with know info on the area or how things work over there. It gives me peace of mind to know that I will in essence ..Have a guide and translator when ever I need them also a secure area to stay while I am there. This is stuff you old pros might take for granted. My next trip will be more adventurous. PS. Never been overseas at all. I will try to keep a journal and let you know how it goes.

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:50:03 AM »
You've never been overseas?  Have you at least left the US before?

I think some of Bills links will help, but above all, observe a bit, and do not expect people to conform or even understand in some cases, "American mentality" on some things.  They also do not want you to teach it to them, expectations of restaurant and other places service included.  :)  When in Rome, err, the FSU, do as they do, within reason.  Personally, I always make an attempt to blend in as much as is reasonably possible my first time in a new country - don't flash cash, don't do expensive or visible jewelry, etc.  Indoors, do as you would like, but be selective about doing things obviously pegging you as a foreigner, or worse, a stupid "rich" foreigner. 

Note that I have met nothing but good, decent people and had good experiences, including conversations with people who then realized I was a foreigner; however, that does not mean I would prefer to "broadcast" that fact to anyone within a mile radius, either.  Some common sense and some hints from the forum, your interpreter, and hopefully your lady friend, and you should have a great time.  Have a good trip! :tiphat:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:33 AM »
Here is a visual tour of her city, and be sure to print off the Metro map so you know how to get around on your own.

Mendy, Idaho1 is going to meet womEN ..;)

Idaho1, as this will be your first trip abroad - it is likely to be quite an 'eye-opener' !

Hopefully, you will post your your thoughts on your return.  Try to make a note of your first impressions ... I think it will be really interesting for all members.

Good luck.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:29:18 AM »
Mendy, Idaho1 is going to meet womEN ..;)
Hes just trying to provide the OP with a back-up plan, if the ladies are no good he can always enjoy some sites!  :chuckle:
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:32:32 AM »
Opps I almost forgot!

Welcome Idaho1 hope you enjoy the forum and find any advice useful!  tiphat
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 09:29:40 AM »
 I have been to Kharkov and it's a decent city. If your into WW2 history there is plenty to see , and best of all your girl/s can show you around  :)
 I would urge highly to get a cell phone while your there. If the agency rents them, then get one, it'll be your lifeline . Or get your cell unlocked or GSM ( I think) and they you can buy a SIM card there to use in your phone.

Offline idaho1

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »
Hey there, Yes, I have been on a cruise to St Marteen and of course to Mexico and Canada. But I think this will be ENTIRELY different. Better I hope. Thanks for the welcome and look for a story when I return.

Online sparky114

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »
Welcome Idaho1 .....and good luck with your trip :)

Have you looked into to using a lady called Milla she is a member on here and helps guys independently in kharkov

Some body here will link you ar just do a search for her maybe would be good to have her number as a back up 8)
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
    • OdessaGuide.Net
Mila
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
Igor Kalinin
Russian Translator/Interpreter/Guide/Agent for Odessa, the Crimea and the rest of Ukraine
www.odessaguide.net

Offline Zoloti_vorota

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
Hi Idaho1, best wishes for your trip, I too will travel to Ukraine in about two weeks time, wow site has two trip reports plus any others.
I think you have done the right thing in getting all the services you require, the reason being I was the opposite on my first time and I had to learn very quickly.  It was not a pleasent experience culture shock etc but looking back being thrown in at the deepend is it bad? I don't know on that one.  I have a first trip report to write lots to say.  Anyway I know you will have a great time, all the best to you.

Online 2tallbill

leaving in 2 weeks for Kharkov
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »
I have been to Kharkov and it's a decent city. If your into WW2 history there is plenty to see , and best of all your girl/s can show you around  :)
 I would urge highly to get a cell phone while your there. If the agency rents them, then get one, it'll be your lifeline . Or get your cell unlocked or GSM ( I think) and they you can buy a SIM card there to use in your phone.

The advantage of getting a local phone is that you get a local phone number, and you can send and receive
calls without waiting by the phone like a high school senior girl without a date for the prom. They sell prepaid
minutes at little kiosks located all over the place. 

I haven't been to Kharkov which is pronounced like Har Kov but the H is a harder and huffier, not as hard as
clearing your throat, more like an "H" when you get a belt in the stomach. (I probably confused everyone trying
to explain this)

Udachi

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »

I haven't been to Kharkov which is pronounced like Har Kov but the H is a harder and huffier, not as hard as
clearing your throat, more like an "H" when you get a belt in the stomach. (I probably confused everyone trying
to explain this)

No not at all Bill...     :chuckle:    Just drop the K and say it Harkov. 

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

to explain this)

No not at all Bill...     :chuckle:    Just drop the K and say it Harkov. 

Isn't the H a little bit harder? or am I hearing things again?

Offline Boris

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »

to explain this)

No not at all Bill...     :chuckle:    Just drop the K and say it Harkov.  

It's just like the 'H' in "Hoe, where's my money!" A little harder than the 'H' in "I love you Honey."

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
  Well Boris I think the Hoe has already taken it for services rendered.   :chuckle:

Offline Boris

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
  Well Boris I think the Hoe has already taken it for services rendered.   :chuckle:

A hoe never gets to keep the pimps money!

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
    • OdessaGuide.Net
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »
Yes it is but not so hard as to add K though. To me Harkov sounds closer to Харьков then Kharkov. With h disappearing it easy converts into Karkov which is not Харьков at all.
Igor Kalinin
www.odessaguide.net

Offline idaho1

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Ok here it goes,I'm at the motel at Boise waiting to catch the flight.For those of you that wanted info on the Mordinson agency. So far everything has been very professional.All calls have been responded to promptly.All letters have been translated as promised. I will give you all a play by play on the trip as it happens. Wish me luck!! Special thanks to a new friend Kirk.

Online 2tallbill

[s]leaving in 2 weeks[/s] RIGHT NOW for Kharkov
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »
Ok here it goes,I'm at the motel at Boise waiting to catch the flight.For those of you that wanted info on the Mordinson agency. So far everything has been very professional.All calls have been responded to promptly.All letters have been translated as promised. I will give you all a play by play on the trip as it happens. Wish me luck!! Special thanks to a new friend Kirk.

Udachi !!!

Bill