The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Food Delivery  (Read 2824 times)

Offline AnfieldRiot

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Food Delivery
« on: January 23, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »

I want to do something nice for my other half and her family who all live together. I thought sending them some food from either a supermarket or a dinner from a delivery company would be a nice gesture.

Would any of you have any suggestions for Moscow services ? Also, feel free to let me know if this would be taken as an insult by her family ?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Food Delivery
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:53:51 AM »
I can think of people that I know who'd be insulted by such a thing. Others, not so much.
I think until I knew something f the family, at first hand, that I'd hold off on such a thing.

Food parcels, EEEKKK. ¨
Does the foreign man think we so poor that he should send us food... silly man.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:46:15 AM »
Listen to Anderewfi - he's got this one bang on ..
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:02:07 AM »
Listen to Anderewfi - he's got this one bang on ..

Fair enough... if it helps the fact any....  I don't want groceries brought to them. I was thinking of hot food... I can't be there to cook them dinner so this is my next best option ?!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
I understand.
But how does that actually change the perception except to make you seem to be a tad more subtle.

If YOU sent me FOOD I'd be miffed.

Wait till you know these people and you are clsoe enough to be able to make such gestures without feeling the need to ask strangers for their advice.

As in many cases, the fact that you needed to ask gives you the answer you need!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online sparky114

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 04:50:52 AM »
Food!!!!!!  :o :o

This is not downtown USA get anything 24hrs a day delivered you want

I agree with the above, and also what you perceive to be a great dinner may not be in their eyes let alone it being cooked and transported from some distance to them ;)

Send her some flowers and chocolates and maybe a cake......would go down much better.
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:32:04 AM »
Food!!!!!!  :o :o

This is not downtown USA get anything 24hrs a day delivered you want

I agree with the above, and also what you perceive to be a great dinner may not be in their eyes let alone it being cooked and transported from some distance to them ;)

Send her some flowers and chocolates and maybe a cake......would go down much better.

Added to the fact that if you sent them some sort of fast food that of the type that actually could be delivered they would be downright offended to be sent such crap  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline AnfieldRiot

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:39:26 AM »
Fair enough... I asked as I thought it may be a bit too much.

Thanks for the advice -

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 09:30:35 AM »
Anfield, you might find this link informative as your intentions are good but one needs to learn how to carry it out in keeping with cultural norms.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
We have a lot of these books of restaurant coupons for $50 to $100 that Marketing companies like to sell to and via the high end restaurants that tend to participate in order to drive more business their way with the thinking that if the folks can pay this much for a book of coups then they can afford to dine out...

However when I was ever given one of these I would re-gift it because I did not want to seem like a cheapskate when out with a Lady friend on a date.

However I have gone to restaurants I have had particularly good service in and purchased a gift certificate for $100 or $200 and given it to someone who did me a personal or business kindness.

As the gift certificate is cash from a current customer - the Restaurants here usually take great care to treat them as well as the customer who purchased the gift certificate lest they offend a regular customer.

And the people receiving it as a gift can only redeem in that establishment so they must experience the same gracious service, ambiance and cuisine that you liked - almost as good as if you took them out there yourself and picked up the tab in advance.

Assume similar in EU but not sure if perceived the same way in the FSU.  Feedback of a constructive type welcomed.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:08:39 PM »
Both your question Cuff, and Anfield's are good. I think that you are right in that at first a lady might wonder if you were "cheap: however in most relationships once she has confidence that your interest is genuine, you'll see most ladies switch into a mode of trying to help you spend as wisely as possible on common consumables and food.

Short answer: in the beginning she doesn't want you to feel that she little more than a cheap date. At some point if she insists on expensive dates constantly, perhaps it's time to reevaluate, but most ladies, knowing that you don't know the lay of the land, will soon just naturally begin to help you find nice but less expensive alternatives.

Culturally more and more things like loyalty cards and coupons are finding favour among Russian/Ukrainian consumers. Most of the major grocery chains now have loyalty cards for example, and any average citizen when given the choice of paying a "regular" price or the same item for a lower "loyalty" price will of course elect to save money.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »

I want to do something nice for my other half and her family who all live together. I thought sending them some food from either a supermarket or a dinner from a delivery company would be a nice gesture.

Would any of you have any suggestions for Moscow services ?

A gift basket from Hediard wouldn't offend anyone, I guess  ::)

http://www.hediard.ru/
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.