The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cost of Living in Russia  (Read 27116 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Moving temporarily to Russia
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »
Danchik, if your suggestions are legal then why not share them? We can all learn from you. Thanks.

Sounds to me like it is the "legal as long as you get away with it" kind of legal.

It seemed so to me too, but worth sharing and learning from. We can all make our own choices butvstuff that must be kept secret often seems to carry undisclosed risks.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
It will be his choice to do what is offered and what is available to him, which includes things not mentioned or any board or website. I would never put anyone in a compromising situation. Nevertheless, there are things that one can do beyond your area of thought or wisdom. With all due respect.

Danchik, no disrespect to you either and does
includes things not mentioned or any board or website.
include this website? http://www.fms.gov.ru/index.php

Looking forward to your new information.

Someone, I think it was Bill, mentioned up thread about marriage which is an idea if you've courted and decided to wed. Article 6.4 of the Federal Migration Act does allow temporary resident permits for spouses of Russian citizens or natural parents of children who are Russian citizens. Temporary is the key term as this waiver is granted on provision that the individual be in the process of establishing legal permanent residence or citizenship. Article 6.4 grantees do not have to qualify for the work quotas either.

Offline Danchik

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:29 AM »
Russia, like most countries in the world, has laws. These laws like in said countries can either be obeyed, broken or bent.

How they bend is something we can debate, but bend they most certainly do. Understanding the way it does, is of course key.

This knowledge, for the most part, cannot be read out of a book, or anywhere else for that matter. Obtaining proper documentation means you have proper documentation, period. How it was obtained is of no matter to the authorities once it has been obtained. One can argue whether it's right or wrong according to one's own beliefs, but the "system" here is still what it is.

And while that system continues to be, IMO, a work in progress in the "right" direction, it is a system so deeply entrenched in its way, that it will literally take a generation or three to change in a way most westerners can identify with.

It can simply be not what one knows, but who or what channels to use.

I don't possess super powers that allow me to do the undoable. I live here, simple. My time here has not been cultivating relationships in what Andrew correctly calls  the "bubble". I have never been interested in knowing expats since I moved here. My relationships are with Russians. I learned very quickly how this country works, mostly by having the good fortune to meet some very knowledgable and connected people. Understand that Russians are not going to jeopardize themselves to help someone, especially a stranger. Keep in perspective we're discussing visas.

What I intended to tell the OP, Bill said for the most part. And given what/who I know matters little to anyone I don't know simply because I don't know them, and they have to be here in order for me to point them in the right direction should it get that far.

My reasons for asking the OP to contact me wasn't an attempt to be coy or mysterious. I don't know this guy. But, I've been here for years, have dealt with many issues he will have to deal with should he want to stay, and know "proper" channels, nothing more.

One also needs to be fully aware of how information is processed and shared within such a system.

Mendy, to answer the provision regarding marriage; yes he must work in a direction that leads to permanent residency, but can, after an initial 3 year residency permit term, renew the document for an additional 7 years, and continue to renew it after that. And there are ways around that process as you probably well know.

Russia is and will continue to change itself at a very accelerated speed. What I know is as it exists now. Who knows which direction things will go in the future. It is after all, Russia :chuckle:. Another reason why, when it comes to talking about Russia, we have to remember that last year's news, is as the Americans like to say, so last year (:).

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Cost of Living in Russia
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
New EasyJet from London to Moscow may lower the travel costs on that leg a bit:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/russia/moscow

(London Gatwick to Moscow Domodedovo)

I liked Domodedovo airport actually.

Also a convenient express airport train to Moscow now as well.

http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/domodedovo.htm

Also Airbnb is booming worldwide and has a lot of Moscow listings -  a wide range of apartments, studios, rooms to rent with informative Landlord reviews...  Rule of thumb is Monthly rates can be negotiated to one third or less of the posted daily rates on a per day basis - many folks will stay a few nights or week or month to see if they like a location and then negotiate around for best longer term deals once they get a lay of the land so to speak.  Apartment and Studio rentals assume you will have occasional overnight guests or a significant other whereas with just a room you should review the rules of being a proper guest in Russia/Moscow search RUA for the threads.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Russia--Moscow

Of course the landlords get to review you as well on Airbnb so don't be a noisy slob - just saying...

Online sparky114

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »

Also Airbnb is booming worldwide and has a lot of Moscow listings -  a wide range of apartments, studios, rooms to rent with informative Landlord reviews...  Rule of thumb is Monthly rates can be negotiated to one third or less of the posted daily rates on a per day basis - many folks will stay a few nights or week or month to see if they like a location and then negotiate around for best longer term deals once they get a lay of the land so to speak.  Apartment and Studio rentals assume you will have occasional overnight guests or a significant other whereas with just a room you should review the rules of being a proper guest in Russia/Moscow search RUA for the threads.

Of course the landlords get to review you as well on Airbnb so don't be a noisy slob - just saying...

Yes on the surface Easy jet looks a good option,

At the moment and playing with dates i  managed to get it for £118 pounds with taxes

Then they start that does not include you hold luggage which is a further £32

And then if you want to choose your seat that an extra £3 each way

No food that is extra too.

:)

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
Re: Cost of Living in Russia
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »

At the moment and playing with dates i  managed to get it for £118 pounds with taxes

Hello Sparks - as you have been semi working on and off in RU what travel deals re: airlines/airports do you prefer on the UK/EU to RU leg of the Trip?

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »

Use skyscanner.com flight from Birmingham to Moscow for under £200, if I'd booked in advance I'm sure I could of got that slightly cheaper.

Flying with KLM, means I get allocated a seat, a little meal for free and I don't have to pay extra for luggage.

Easy jet, if you knew the pilots rota's, hours worked and pay you'd never fly with them, I'll put Ryan air in that category also.

Oh and unlikely to have a drunken ass on board either ;D
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Online sparky114

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

Hello Sparks - as you have been semi working on and off in RU what travel deals re: airlines/airports do you prefer on the UK/EU to RU leg of the Trip?

Hi Cuffy :)

Well out of preference i use to get to the south of Russia Austrian airlines, or Lufhansa but now they are the same group the flight choice is somewhat removed

Now we are flying British Airways to DME and then on with S& or Transareo, i have just done this flight and with a carefull usage of airmiles i found i could get the whole thing all in and food luggage ETC for £160 all doable just a first leg red eye to Moscow

Yes you do have the cheap airlines coming but unless you are real lucky and can travel very light they sometimes are not the best

Air Berlin was another good flight i have used :)

With us doing about 6-7 flights a year it starts to mount up so any little use of air miles or other partner offers is a welcome facility tiphat

Mark

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
Now if you really want to economize without being in an open hostel this is a new concept:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/551773

Pics say www.sleepbox.com  with a dorm shower type arrangement - looks like a giant lockable double bunk locker you can sleep in and then lock up!

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »

Hi Cuffy :)

Well out of preference i use to get to the south of Russia Austrian airlines, or Lufhansa but now they are the same group the flight choice is somewhat removed

Now we are flying British Airways to DME and then on with S& or Transareo, i have just done this flight and with a carefull usage of airmiles i found i could get the whole thing all in and food luggage ETC for £160 all doable just a first leg red eye to Moscow

Yes you do have the cheap airlines coming but unless you are real lucky and can travel very light they sometimes are not the best

Air Berlin was another good flight i have used :)

With us doing about 6-7 flights a year it starts to mount up so any little use of air miles or other partner offers is a welcome facility tiphat

I'm on track for 100 flights this year - 99% Ryanair I don't know if I can cope!!!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

I'm on track for 100 flights this year - 99% Ryanair I don't know if I can cope!!!

Is that even possible? I seriously doubt it, hope you're not married, and kiss goodbye to a relationship.

If it's for work, look for another job pronto, you know what it's like to be delayed for a day or two, takes it to another level that  :laugh:

More than 50 in a year is quite some going.

99% on RyanAir and you should be awarded the George Cross.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »

Wifey and I flew to Rome last November with Ryanair and it was no where near as bad as we were expecting, I would certainly use them again.

Whether I could put up with 99 with them in a year though is something else  :chuckle:

Online sparky114

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »
UK to Ireland is not a flight Ste  (:)

it more of a up and downer :chuckle:

have you ever looked if the cabin is ever leve?l other than when it alters the up to going down  ;D

Mark

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:08 AM »

Wifey and I flew to Rome last November with Ryanair and it was no where near as bad as we were expecting, I would certainly use them again.

Whether I could put up with 99 with them in a year though is something else  :chuckle:

Once with Wizz Air and once with Ryan Air, never again, both times had loud drunks on board, nothing worse IMO.

Luton airport isn't exactly appealing either, perhaps one of the worst airports in the modern world.  :nod:

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »

Once with Wizz Air and once with Ryan Air, never again, both times had loud drunks on board, nothing worse IMO.

Luton airport isn't exactly appealing either, perhaps one of the worst airports in the modern world.  :nod:

I've flown a few times with Wizz, with no problems, I guess it depends on your destination and who is travelling there. I agree Luton AP is not the best place to spend some time, but I have been in far far far worse, some in Capital cities too  :-X