The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cost of Living in Russia  (Read 109523 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Moving temporarily to Russia
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 05:09:46 PM »
The new 3 year tourist visa could be your best option. A business visa brings its own set of problems if you're not really operating/doing business.

My advice on the issue is to stay in Russia legally and therefore not jeopardize future travel, obey the 90/180 rules. There are those who don't but as Russia modernizes passport control systems the practices of sneaking overstaying this will someday come back to bite. Anyway, 3 months in Moscow should be long enough anyway if that is really what the lady has in mind.

There are ways to stay legally and not worry about the 90/180 rules if you can find an employer who will obtain a work visa on your behalf. You'll have to demonstrate a skill that is needed in Russia, one that cannot currently be done by Russians, and be willing to teach that skill to co-workers so that someday you can be replaced. The Russian government limits that number of foreign work visas annually with quotas by industry type.

Or, you can open a business if you don't mind the red tape and tax issues to accompany that strategy.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
The new 3 year tourist visa could be your best option. A business visa brings its own set of problems if you're not really operating/doing business.

My advice on the issue is to stay in Russia legally and therefore not jeopardize future travel, obey the 90/180 rules. There are those who don't but as Russia modernizes passport control systems the practices of sneaking overstaying this will someday come back to bite. Anyway, 3 months in Moscow should be long enough anyway if that is really what the lady has in mind.

There are ways to stay legally and not worry about the 90/180 rules if you can find an employer who will obtain a work visa on your behalf. You'll have to demonstrate a skill that is needed in Russia, one that cannot currently be done by Russians, and be willing to teach that skill to co-workers so that someday you can be replaced. The Russian government limits that number of foreign work visas annually with quotas by industry type.

Or, you can open a business if you don't mind the red tape and tax issues to accompany that strategy.
Sir, no one is talking about overstaying or anything else. Just how to go about doing things legally, within a system. Some things you just have to know by being here. Which is why I asked the gentleman to contact me privately. Yes, things are changing, but it's still Russia, and that means very slowly. 

It will be his choice to do what is offered and what is available to him, which includes things not mentioned or any board or website. I would never put anyone in a compromising situation. Nevertheless, there are things that one can do beyond your area of thought or wisdom. With all due respect.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Bill

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »
After some months of dating, my russian girlfriend asked me to move to Moscow some months, so we could live together some time to see if we are compatible. I don't have a normal job, I'm somehow of a freelancer, so moving to another place is not really a problem for me. The first question is, have any of you guys did the same? Do you think it is a good move to do? In my mind seems a good idea, but it does not hurt to hear more experienced voices  :)

The second question, well, if I really want to do it and move there, then how?
A turist visa would allow me to stay there only a month, and for a work visa, well, I would need to find a job there (and I'm not very interested on this, as I already have my own kind of job that I would like to keep).
There is also business visa, I think this one allows for bigger stay than turism, but I don't know much about it  ???

Third question, how usually do you guys do this, living with other half for a while before getting married? Or people just go from dating straight to marriage? With visas and stuff it seems very difficult to live with each other without being married, and I've always heard that it is good to do so for a while, to make sure we both are really compatible on all aspects  :thumbsup:

Solrock just noticed your thread. Your best chance of being able to stay in Russia long term is probably either marry your g/f or get a job. I met many expats who lived in the FSU but I never met anyone who could stay there for a couple of years at a time without some type of visa or being married to a Russian. I spent 27 months in Moscow teaching English, never had a problem, my employer took care of the paperwork.

The great thing about TESL is you can, with a little bit of trial and error, work as little or as much as you want. I tried to limit myself to about 25 hours a week, after I got use to the system I could easily have done 60 hrs/week or more, some teachers do between the school and private clients.

If you limit your teaching to the minimum you can do other things. I know TESL teachers that had other sources of income such as Internet related marketing, programming etc. One lady I know taught piano, another cooked in a restaurant. One long term teacher used to be an engineer in the UK and consulted. No contracts, no records, cash only. I never heard of any expats being arrested or deported for these types of activities.   

The problem of course is how much of this is legal, probably most of it is illegal but I can't say for sure. However if the extent of your freelancing is Internet work that is never going to be seen in Russia you probably don't have much to worry about, still it might be a good idea to get your g/f to make some inquiries.   

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Edit: Solrock if you haven't been to Moscow I'd go just to check it out to see if you like Moscow, if you can't tolerate the city spending a year there will be difficult for you. Spending a couple of weeks in Moscow will also give you time to check out the job market for TESL teachers.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »
Danchik, if your suggestions are legal then why not share them? We can all learn from you. Thanks.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 04:25:36 AM »
Danchik, if your suggestions are legal then why not share them? We can all learn from you. Thanks.

Sounds to me like it is the "legal as long as you get away with it" kind of legal.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 04:30:53 AM »

Sounds to me like it is the "legal as long as you get away with it" kind of legal.

It seemed so to me too, but worth sharing and learning from. We can all make our own choices butvstuff that must be kept secret often seems to carry undisclosed risks.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
It will be his choice to do what is offered and what is available to him, which includes things not mentioned or any board or website. I would never put anyone in a compromising situation. Nevertheless, there are things that one can do beyond your area of thought or wisdom. With all due respect.

Danchik, no disrespect to you either and does
includes things not mentioned or any board or website.
include this website? http://www.fms.gov.ru/index.php

Looking forward to your new information.

Someone, I think it was Bill, mentioned up thread about marriage which is an idea if you've courted and decided to wed. Article 6.4 of the Federal Migration Act does allow temporary resident permits for spouses of Russian citizens or natural parents of children who are Russian citizens. Temporary is the key term as this waiver is granted on provision that the individual be in the process of establishing legal permanent residence or citizenship. Article 6.4 grantees do not have to qualify for the work quotas either.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 01:10:29 AM »
Russia, like most countries in the world, has laws. These laws like in said countries can either be obeyed, broken or bent.

How they bend is something we can debate, but bend they most certainly do. Understanding the way it does, is of course key.

This knowledge, for the most part, cannot be read out of a book, or anywhere else for that matter. Obtaining proper documentation means you have proper documentation, period. How it was obtained is of no matter to the authorities once it has been obtained. One can argue whether it's right or wrong according to one's own beliefs, but the "system" here is still what it is.

And while that system continues to be, IMO, a work in progress in the "right" direction, it is a system so deeply entrenched in its way, that it will literally take a generation or three to change in a way most westerners can identify with.

It can simply be not what one knows, but who or what channels to use.

I don't possess super powers that allow me to do the undoable. I live here, simple. My time here has not been cultivating relationships in what Andrew correctly calls  the "bubble". I have never been interested in knowing expats since I moved here. My relationships are with Russians. I learned very quickly how this country works, mostly by having the good fortune to meet some very knowledgable and connected people. Understand that Russians are not going to jeopardize themselves to help someone, especially a stranger. Keep in perspective we're discussing visas.

What I intended to tell the OP, Bill said for the most part. And given what/who I know matters little to anyone I don't know simply because I don't know them, and they have to be here in order for me to point them in the right direction should it get that far.

My reasons for asking the OP to contact me wasn't an attempt to be coy or mysterious. I don't know this guy. But, I've been here for years, have dealt with many issues he will have to deal with should he want to stay, and know "proper" channels, nothing more.

One also needs to be fully aware of how information is processed and shared within such a system.

Mendy, to answer the provision regarding marriage; yes he must work in a direction that leads to permanent residency, but can, after an initial 3 year residency permit term, renew the document for an additional 7 years, and continue to renew it after that. And there are ways around that process as you probably well know.

Russia is and will continue to change itself at a very accelerated speed. What I know is as it exists now. Who knows which direction things will go in the future. It is after all, Russia :chuckle:. Another reason why, when it comes to talking about Russia, we have to remember that last year's news, is as the Americans like to say, so last year (:).

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Cost of Living in Russia
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
New EasyJet from London to Moscow may lower the travel costs on that leg a bit:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/cheap-flights/russia/moscow

(London Gatwick to Moscow Domodedovo)

I liked Domodedovo airport actually.

Also a convenient express airport train to Moscow now as well.

http://www.aeroexpress.ru/en/domodedovo.htm

Also Airbnb is booming worldwide and has a lot of Moscow listings -  a wide range of apartments, studios, rooms to rent with informative Landlord reviews...  Rule of thumb is Monthly rates can be negotiated to one third or less of the posted daily rates on a per day basis - many folks will stay a few nights or week or month to see if they like a location and then negotiate around for best longer term deals once they get a lay of the land so to speak.  Apartment and Studio rentals assume you will have occasional overnight guests or a significant other whereas with just a room you should review the rules of being a proper guest in Russia/Moscow search RUA for the threads.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Russia--Moscow

Of course the landlords get to review you as well on Airbnb so don't be a noisy slob - just saying...

Offline sparky114

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »

Also Airbnb is booming worldwide and has a lot of Moscow listings -  a wide range of apartments, studios, rooms to rent with informative Landlord reviews...  Rule of thumb is Monthly rates can be negotiated to one third or less of the posted daily rates on a per day basis - many folks will stay a few nights or week or month to see if they like a location and then negotiate around for best longer term deals once they get a lay of the land so to speak.  Apartment and Studio rentals assume you will have occasional overnight guests or a significant other whereas with just a room you should review the rules of being a proper guest in Russia/Moscow search RUA for the threads.

Of course the landlords get to review you as well on Airbnb so don't be a noisy slob - just saying...

Yes on the surface Easy jet looks a good option,

At the moment and playing with dates i  managed to get it for £118 pounds with taxes

Then they start that does not include you hold luggage which is a further £32

And then if you want to choose your seat that an extra £3 each way

No food that is extra too.

:)

Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
Re: Cost of Living in Russia
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:43 PM »

At the moment and playing with dates i  managed to get it for £118 pounds with taxes

Hello Sparks - as you have been semi working on and off in RU what travel deals re: airlines/airports do you prefer on the UK/EU to RU leg of the Trip?

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »

Use skyscanner.com flight from Birmingham to Moscow for under £200, if I'd booked in advance I'm sure I could of got that slightly cheaper.

Flying with KLM, means I get allocated a seat, a little meal for free and I don't have to pay extra for luggage.

Easy jet, if you knew the pilots rota's, hours worked and pay you'd never fly with them, I'll put Ryan air in that category also.

Oh and unlikely to have a drunken ass on board either ;D
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline sparky114

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

Hello Sparks - as you have been semi working on and off in RU what travel deals re: airlines/airports do you prefer on the UK/EU to RU leg of the Trip?

Hi Cuffy :)

Well out of preference i use to get to the south of Russia Austrian airlines, or Lufhansa but now they are the same group the flight choice is somewhat removed

Now we are flying British Airways to DME and then on with S& or Transareo, i have just done this flight and with a carefull usage of airmiles i found i could get the whole thing all in and food luggage ETC for £160 all doable just a first leg red eye to Moscow

Yes you do have the cheap airlines coming but unless you are real lucky and can travel very light they sometimes are not the best

Air Berlin was another good flight i have used :)

With us doing about 6-7 flights a year it starts to mount up so any little use of air miles or other partner offers is a welcome facility tiphat

Mark

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 03:34:08 PM »
Now if you really want to economize without being in an open hostel this is a new concept:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/551773

Pics say www.sleepbox.com  with a dorm shower type arrangement - looks like a giant lockable double bunk locker you can sleep in and then lock up!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »

Hi Cuffy :)

Well out of preference i use to get to the south of Russia Austrian airlines, or Lufhansa but now they are the same group the flight choice is somewhat removed

Now we are flying British Airways to DME and then on with S& or Transareo, i have just done this flight and with a carefull usage of airmiles i found i could get the whole thing all in and food luggage ETC for £160 all doable just a first leg red eye to Moscow

Yes you do have the cheap airlines coming but unless you are real lucky and can travel very light they sometimes are not the best

Air Berlin was another good flight i have used :)

With us doing about 6-7 flights a year it starts to mount up so any little use of air miles or other partner offers is a welcome facility tiphat

I'm on track for 100 flights this year - 99% Ryanair I don't know if I can cope!!!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

I'm on track for 100 flights this year - 99% Ryanair I don't know if I can cope!!!

Is that even possible? I seriously doubt it, hope you're not married, and kiss goodbye to a relationship.

If it's for work, look for another job pronto, you know what it's like to be delayed for a day or two, takes it to another level that  :laugh:

More than 50 in a year is quite some going.

99% on RyanAir and you should be awarded the George Cross.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 12:55:54 AM »

Wifey and I flew to Rome last November with Ryanair and it was no where near as bad as we were expecting, I would certainly use them again.

Whether I could put up with 99 with them in a year though is something else  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »
UK to Ireland is not a flight Ste  (:)

it more of a up and downer :chuckle:

have you ever looked if the cabin is ever leve?l other than when it alters the up to going down  ;D

Mark

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:08 AM »

Wifey and I flew to Rome last November with Ryanair and it was no where near as bad as we were expecting, I would certainly use them again.

Whether I could put up with 99 with them in a year though is something else  :chuckle:

Once with Wizz Air and once with Ryan Air, never again, both times had loud drunks on board, nothing worse IMO.

Luton airport isn't exactly appealing either, perhaps one of the worst airports in the modern world.  :nod:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »

Once with Wizz Air and once with Ryan Air, never again, both times had loud drunks on board, nothing worse IMO.

Luton airport isn't exactly appealing either, perhaps one of the worst airports in the modern world.  :nod:

I've flown a few times with Wizz, with no problems, I guess it depends on your destination and who is travelling there. I agree Luton AP is not the best place to spend some time, but I have been in far far far worse, some in Capital cities too  :-X
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 03:34:13 AM »

I've flown a few times with Wizz, with no problems, I guess it depends on your destination and who is travelling there. I agree Luton AP is not the best place to spend some time, but I have been in far far far worse, some in Capital cities too  :-X

:chuckle: You want to try Rostov Airport if you think Luton is bad  :chuckle:

Mark

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 03:42:56 AM »
Nothing compares to Taba Airport, can it?.... My shed looks in better shape, possibly larger also  :laugh:

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
Cost of living in Russia
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
From time to time people are interested in the possibility of moving to Russia and try to figure out how much money they need to do so.  I thought this article could generate some discussion on the subject:

Cost of living in Russia

Are you planning on joining the ranks of expats living in Russia? Then you are surely interested in the average cost of living you will face during your expat life in the Russian Federation. For your convenience, we have summed up the most important budget items and costs you will need to factor into your planning.

Costs for Housing, Utilities and Communication

While a Russian household, according to the current OECD better life index, spends only an average of 11% of its gross adjusted disposable income on housing and utilities, you as an expat will need to be prepared for much higher accommodation costs. Rents can be extremely expensive in Russia, especially in destinations popular with expats such as Moscow and Saint Petersburg.

If, for example, you choose to move into a simple one-bedroom apartment in Moscow, even away from the center, you will have to factor in at least 1,000 USD a month for rent. An unfurnished two-bedroom apartment in Moscow can set you back around 4,000 USD. And those who prefer the luxury and security of a townhouse in one of the expat compounds in Moscow will need to be prepared to pay around 15,000 to 30,000 USD or more.

Regardless of where exactly you want to live and how much you are prepared to pay, we would advise you to get local help for your house hunting, especially if you are not fluent in Russian. In the bigger cities you can find real estate agencies that specifically cater to expats and have English-speaking staff.

While heating, water and facility management fees are typically included in your rent, electricity normally needs to be paid separately. In general, utility prices as well as telephone and internet costs are fairly moderate compared to Western standards. For example, a 30 Mbit/s internet connection will set you back around 15 USD. You can get a basic mobile phone plan including 1 GB data traffic for less than 10 USD a month plus outgoing calling charges of around 0.06 USD per minute. Another 10 USD can get you basic internet television. In contrast to what you might be used to at home, in Russia there is no television or license fee that you need to pay.

Shopping for groceries

Since 2010, Russia has seen an inflation of 15.2% in consumer prices for food and it is not without reason that Moscow has ranked second in Mercer's 2013 survey on cost of living for expats worldwide. Services and products that you might regard as part of your everyday life at home can be extremely expensive in Russia. Mercer, for example, points out that in Moscow you will be charged around 8.30 USD for a cup of coffee including service and that a liter of low fat milk will set you back 7.59 USD.

Consequently, you can save a lot of money by avoiding imported goods and fancy items. Food and basic goods generally cost less than in Western Europe or North America. If you are on a budget, there are various supermarket chains available, such as Lenta (Лента), Perekrestok (Перекрёсток) and Kopeyka (Копейка). 

Healthcare and Education Expenditures

In theory, the full range of medical services is state-funded and free of charge for everyone. However, the quality of public healthcare in Russia has been described by former expats as somewhat lagging behind the standards they were used to. Only in bigger cities such as Moscow and Saint Petersburg do doctors and hospitals have higher standards. 

Thus, you might still prefer to go to one of the international institutions that are typically found close to expat neighborhoods. Such Western facilities are much more expensive, though. For maximum coverage, talk to your employer about a possible corporate health plan or get an all-encompassing international health insurance policy.

Public schools are also free of charge for everyone living in Russia which includes the children of expats. So you can take this chance to let your children have the full immersion experience. International schools can also be found in the bigger cities. These do, however, often have long waiting lists and charge high tuition fees of 7,000 to 13,000 USD a year.

Getting around

If you are living in one of the bigger cities and especially if you are living in Moscow you might want to avoid the hassle of navigating hopelessly congested streets and rather use the available public transportation options. Taxis, buses and trolleybuses can be found in most if not all bigger cities in Russia. In addition, quite a few big cities, such as for example Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod and Yekaterinburg, also have metro systems.

Tickets for public transportation are available in various shapes and forms. In Moscow, a one-day ticket costs around 6 USD, a monthly pass less than 70 USD and a yearly pass you can get for approximately 530 USD. Tickets in Saint Petersburg, to give you another example, are similarly priced.

Those who prefer or need to drive their own car will be interested to know that fuel in Russia is fairly inexpensive for European standards. Both petrol and diesel currently cost around 1.04 USD per liter. A third party insurance policy as well as a regular safety check (Текнический Осмотр) are mandatory for Russian cars and represent additional costs you will need to factor into your budget. For new cars, the safety check is valid for three years; all other cars need to be checked yearly.

This article was provided by InterNations, the largest expatriate network worldwide. It was created to help members meet other high-profile expatriates from around the world living in their city and connect with them, both online and offline through events and activities. InterNations also offers its members the know-how and support to make moving abroad more manageable. InterNations was founded in 2007 and now has over 1 million members in more than 390 Local Communities around the world.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/02-12-2013/126266-cost_of_living_in_russia-0/

Danchik, what are your thoughts?

Any other expats?

FSUW?

Bueller?  Bueller?

Offline CC3

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Cost of living in Russia
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
Tremendously more expensive than Ukraine!
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline ashbyclarke

Re: Cost of living in Russia
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
Can't talk for living in Russia but from a tourist point of view the costs of visiting Russia in comparison to Ukraine are vast.

Travelling around Russia can cost a fortune, then there's the little matter of food and drink, can cost the earth in Russia. That said I don't exactly know my way around Russia so my experience is more of the uneducated traveller.

My hotel charged £6.50 for a very small bottle of water, £10 a beer and £20 a plain burger (I don't normally eat them!)

I understand Moscow is the 3rd(?) most expensive city in the world, from my experience it's comparable to London with ease, food is excellent in both cities.

Public transport in Russia is quite cheap, reliable and clean, something London could learn from. Moscow could learn from Tourist attractions such as the tour bus, walking round can really take it out of you!