The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cost of Living in Russia  (Read 109456 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Cost of Living in Russia
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:16:45 PM »
My son in law manages Safeway delivery in Arizona and so it was with interest that I noted that Ашан now does grocery delivery in Moscow as well.

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
Re: Running with scissors (AKA Patman's trip report)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »

My son in law manages Safeway delivery in Arizona and so it was with interest that I noted that Ашан now does grocery delivery in Moscow as well.

Auchan doing deliveries:o  :o  :o

I must have missed something...

Always used Утконос for deliveries, and Auchan for "shopping in person"  :biggrin:

Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Life in large cities
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »
Olga, a young man we know recently made application to work in delivery there. I assumed that it would be home/business delivery but realize that it could be making deliveries from a warehouse to Ашан stores.

This is all I could find at the website: http://www.auchan.ru/uploaded/Image/Banners%20for%20teasers/DELIVERY_right.jpg

Offline kerouac

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:24:38 AM »
I know from my wife that Auchan are planning a delivery service. However, it won't include online shopping. You will have to go to the shop and buy everything. Then they will deliver. Incidentally, I heard today that Walmart plans to enter the Russian market.

Offline Olga_Mouse

Auchan
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:32:11 AM »
What I have heard about Auchan is that it will be an online shopping however, with the "real" Auchan prices (means very low - comparing to other chains presented in Russia), with the "real" Auchan assortment, but the delivery will cost 300 RUR.

IMO, that would be still quite comfortable for a normal \ large family without a car.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
Incidentally, I heard today that Walmart plans to enter the Russian market.

They've been camped out in Russia for over 2 years, just no stores yet, first trying to buy an existing chain and as that didn't work out, have changed plans. More on that here...

Offline kerouac

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 06:12:20 AM »
Incidentally, I heard today that Walmart plans to enter the Russian market.

They've been camped out in Russia for over 2 years, just no stores yet, first trying to buy an existing chain and as that didn't work out, have changed plans.More on that here[/url]...

No, apparently the latest is that WalMart want to buy an existing chain again. They are targeting a big chain called Lenta:

http://www.vesti.ru/doc.html?id=359039&cid=6

I don't believe Lenta has a big presence in Moscow, but they are in other parts of Russia. The one thing that always amazes me about supermarkets in Russia is they hardly accept credit cards. Everyone pays by cash in Auchan!! Imagine that in the UK or USA.

Offline kerouac

Re: Auchan
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 06:16:37 AM »
What I have heard about Auchan is that it will be an online shopping however, with the "real" Auchan prices (means very low - comparing to other chains presented in Russia), with the "real" Auchan assortment, but the delivery will cost 300 RUR.

IMO, that would be still quite comfortable for a normal \ large family without a car.

Sorry, I've checked with my wife again and I got it the wrong way round. Apparently Auchan will launch online shopping in Spring or Summer but will not offer delivery! Yes, I also found it had to believe. I can't imagine online shopping without delivery. But this came from a source at Auchan. Of course, they may have changed their mind since...

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:53:36 AM »

Apparently Auchan will launch online shopping in Spring or Summer but will not offer delivery!

They've launched it already, and they DO offer delivery  :nod:

http://www.auchan.ru/pokupki/service/#service1

The one thing that always amazes me about supermarkets in Russia is they hardly accept credit cards.

Not all the supermarkets, or course! Перекрёсток and Седьмой континент do accept credit (debit) cards.

Everyone pays by cash in Auchan!! Imagine that in the UK or USA.

Oh yes, you're right about Auchan  :nod: They don't accept anything but their own "VISA Auchan".

This is actually contradicting the current legislation, which says an enterprise can refuse to accept debit \ overdraft \ credit cards ONLY if they don't have the necessary hardware & software as such.

Auchan obviously has the equipment; they just don't want to pay some tiny %% for equiring to any other bank but their own one.

http://www.auchan.ru/ru/press/39

Hey, this is Russia!  :biggrin:

Offline kerouac

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 08:57:50 AM »

Apparently Auchan will launch online shopping in Spring or Summer but will not offer delivery!

They've launched it already, and they DO offer delivery  :nod:

http://www.auchan.ru/pokupki/service/#service1

The one thing that always amazes me about supermarkets in Russia is they hardly accept credit cards.

Not all the supermarkets, or course! Перекрёсток and Седьмой континент do accept credit (debit) cards.

Everyone pays by cash in Auchan!! Imagine that in the UK or USA.

Oh yes, you're right about Auchan  :nod: They don't accept anything but their own "VISA Auchan".

This is actually contradicting the current legislation, which says an enterprise can refuse to accept debit \ credit card ONLY if they don't have the necessary hardware & software as such.

Auchan obviously has the equipment; they just don't want to pay some tiny %% for equiring to any other bank but their own one.

http://www.auchan.ru/ru/press/39

Hey, this is Russia!  :biggrin:

Thanks, that's actually great news. I understand they were originally planning it without delivery, but must have wised up. I've used Седьмой континент for delivery but their range isn't so good. Interesting about the payment legislation. But I actually quite like being forced to pay in cash. Helps keep track of finances and stops any debts from settling in!

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »

Thanks, that's actually great news. I understand they were originally planning it without delivery, but must have wised up.

I understand they were originally planning it with delivery - as the first time I have ever heard about the planned Auchan delivery from a friend of mine (and t was a couple of months ago...), she already mentionned the 300RUR delivery cost  :biggrin:

I've used Седьмой континент for delivery but their range isn't so good.

...not to mention their high prices  (:)

Interesting about the payment legislation. But I actually quite like being forced to pay in cash.  Helps keep track of finances and stops any debts from settling in!

As most cards issued & used in Russia are anyway debit cards - or, in the best case, cards with an overdraft limit - I don't see how doing grocery shopping might possibly create debt...  :biggrin:

However I realise very well how many bonus miles I could have got if I would have been able to pay for my shopping at Auchan with VISA Sberbank \ Aeroflot...  :plane:

Offline mendeleyev

Grocery and retail shopping in Russia & Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »
My MIL complains that the stores are too big for her taste and that we don't have room for everything at home when we "stock up" on certain items.

...apparently the latest is that WalMart want to buy an existing chain again. They are targeting a big chain called Lenta:

They announced the desire to purchase Lenta as early as 2008 and it's been an "on again, off again" senario. Both strategies are moving forward. They've been purchasing property in some cities but it would be to their advantage to do so in with a pre-built base such as Lenta.

The Macromir development company has resumed heavy talks with Wal-Mart recently, something they had done as early as 2007 but had stopped for awhile. Macromir belongs to Andrey Rogachev – the founder of the Pyateroshka food discount chain.  

The parties are discussing two options: Wal-Mart can either rent premises in Macromir’s shopping centres, and while Macromir does own a food chain, their big business is commercial property development. So it would be a natural to have them construct new premises specifically for Wal-Mart.

Offline mendeleyev

Re: Grocery and retail shopping in Russia & Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »
As it seems there is interest in business new from Russia, here are some resources my staff uses on a regular basis:

RBK Daily http://www.rbcdaily.ru/ is one of the best periodicals aimed at Russian business. You may now download a daily news summary via pdf to your email address.

RBC News http://www.rbcnews.com/research/research.shtml, a companion to the RBK daily, but a separate service of great interest to those tracking Russian stocks and currencies.

Russia Profile http://www.russiaprofile.org is a business source owned jointly by The Moscow Times and RIA Novosti.

Vedomosti http://www.vedomosti.ru is a partnership of the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times and one of the most widely read Russian language business publications.

Alinga Market Update http://www.acg.ru/newsletter.phtml is available in both Russian and English.

Construction Russia, www.ConstructionRussia.ru is a good source to find out who is buying and selling property and developing new business sites and factories.

Chief Accountant http://www.glavbukh.ru/ is one of the best for Russian accounting and tax news.

Klerk at www.Klerk.ru is a widely respected site with sections for accounting, law, banking, management, and programming.

C-News http://www.cnews.ru is a major news source about the Russian IT industry.

Business Radio:

Radio Kommersant Business FM: http://www.kommersant.ru/fm/radio.aspx

Moscow Business FM: http://delicast.com/radio/Russia/moscow/Business_FM

Offline kerouac

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 01:55:43 AM »

Interesting about the payment legislation. But I actually quite like being forced to pay in cash.  Helps keep track of finances and stops any debts from settling in!

As most cards issued & used in Russia are anyway debit cards - or, in the best case, cards with an overdraft limit - I don't see how doing grocery shopping might possibly create debt...  :biggrin:

However I realise very well how many bonus miles I could have got if I would have been able to pay for my shopping at Auchan with VISA Sberbank \ Aeroflot...  :plane:

I think a lot of money would be saved if many people in UK took just £100 cash in their purse/wallet to go grocery shopping, instead of wandering round chucking everything in the trolley and using a debit card to pay (and maybe an overdraft) to pay for the total bill.

In the UK big supermarkets like Tesco give you loyalty cards with bonus points for buying things. But I prefer the approach of some supermarkets in Russia that let you purchase a discount card (10%). I wonder which approach saves the most money?

Offline kerouac

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 02:08:38 AM »
My MIL complains that the stores are too big for her taste and that we don't have room for everything at home when we "stock up" on certain items.

Auchan stores are quite stressful and I don't like to go too often. You need to be Indiana Jones to reach the checkout unscathed...

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »

Auchan stores are quite stressful and I don't like to go too often. You need to be Indiana Jones to reach the checkout unscathed...

Perhaps the Auchan that is about a kilometer from us is atypical. I rarely feel it is much of a big deal to shop in. There are plenty of people there at any given time, but it is so large that this is rarely an issue. The density of people for a given area is about the same as at the supermarket near us, and the stresses of negotiating both would be about the same. The rinok on the end of the block we're on is actually worse at most times of day.

There is a Spanish expression that seems apt: "Cada chango a su mecate" or "each monkey to his own rope."

David

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »

I think a lot of money would be saved if many people in UK took just £100 cash in their purse/wallet to go grocery shopping, instead of wandering round chucking everything in the trolley and using a debit card to pay (and maybe an overdraft) to pay for the total bill.

First, why exactly £100?  ???

Second, why to wander round chucking everything in the trolley - instead of:

a) Making the list of items you need;

b) Write the approximate price of each item;

c) Calculate the total (to know whether you have to take £100 or 80 or 120);

d) Either re-write the list in the items allocation order - or, at least, mark food and "non-eatable edible" objects with different feltpens, to minimize the supermarket navigating time?  

IMO, this is not the rocket science  :reading:  

What has happened to the regular planning  of the householding expenses (and ALL expenses in general)?  ???

Why some people need artificial limitations (like taking certain amount of cash from home, to avoid spending more)?

YMMV, but I see it only as the lack of will-power and unability of resisting the advertising.

Auchan stores are quite stressful and I don't like to go too often.

You need to be Indiana Jones to reach the checkout unscathed...

To avoid stress, don't go there on Saturday - and avoid Fridays & Sundays as well, if you can.

To minimize the time at the check-out, in those stores that have 2 levels (food and other stuff) don't go to check-out at the "food" level (don't know why, but there are always more people queing at that level...).

What I personally don't like in Auchan is the smell - of cheap Chinese plastic & colorants on one level, of permanently rotten shit on the food level  :sick0012:

Recently a friend of mine was telling me about Auchan opening in the premises previously belonging to Carrefour at Fillion shopping mall (http://www.fillion.ru/).
- Auchan has just opened up there... might be a couple of days ago...
- How can you possibly know that? Have you been there recently - still at Carrefour?
- No, I haven't - but the place doesn't smell like Auchan yet...  :sick0012:

Offline kerouac

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:21 AM »

First, why exactly £100?  ???

Second, why to wander round chucking everything in the trolley - instead of:

a) Making the list of items you need;

b) Write the approximate price of each item;

c) Calculate the total (to know whether you have to take £100 or 80 or 120);

d) Either re-write the list in the items allocation order - or, at least, mark food and "non-eatable edible" objects with different feltpens, to minimize the supermarket navigating time?  

IMO, this is not the rocket science  :reading:  

What has happened to the regular planning  of the householding expenses (and ALL expenses in general)?  ???

Why some people need artificial limitations (like taking certain amount of cash from home, to avoid spending more)?

YMMV, but I see it only as the lack of will-power and unability of resisting the advertising.

Sorry, I just used  £100 as an example. Perhaps I should have said 'X amount'. I completely agree with your assessment although I think quite a few people do find the sensible approach to be rocket science. I think part of the reason for the credit crunch was the inability of some people to weigh up what they can afford with what they spend. As far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong), there seems to be less personal debt in Russia than in say UK. Shopping habits were much different in UK 40 years ago and less money was spent on groceries. I'm not an expert on what the link is (marketing, advertising, bigger stores, bigger range, debit/credit cards) but it would be interesting to find out.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 02:12:49 AM »

Sorry, I just used  £100 as an example. Perhaps I should have said 'X amount'. I completely agree with your assessment although I think quite a few people do find the sensible approach to be rocket science. I think part of the reason for the credit crunch was the inability of some people to weigh up what they can afford with what they spend. As far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong), there seems to be less personal debt in Russia than in say UK. Shopping habits were much different in UK 40 years ago and less money was spent on groceries. I'm not an expert on what the link is (marketing, advertising, bigger stores, bigger range, debit/credit cards) but it would be interesting to find out.

"Less personal debt" is a given, in that there is much less credit available in the FSU. Also, with most salaries much lower, there is  a widespread aversion to debt here.

Personally, we have no debt. I have used debit cards for over thirty years and have not had a credit card in that time, as I realized early on as a self-employed or contract employee my income would be erratic and I could not be sure of repayment in a given time. (I have bought several cars during those years on credit, but paid them off quickly, usually well before the contract term). Today, in our family in Ukraine we continue with a simple premise: if we don't have the money, we don't buy. We occasionally use credit, but intelligently. For example, my wife's old TV gave out about two years ago so she took advantage of a zero percent promotion with a local electronics chain to buy a flat screen--and paid that off months early. We're also looking to buy a flat soon, at first mostly for my mother-in-law, later for us. We will likely purchase that with some credit, but paying as much as possible up front and, again, paying the balance off very quickly. (In Ukrainian terms, Donetsk real estate is quite expensive).

For food, though, we would never think of using any sort of credit. But then, we never eat out when we are in Donetsk unless it's in the home of a friend, and we cook nearly everything from scratch so the costs are lower.

In the West, many people pay higher prices for "convenience" foods that often lack as much nutritional value as the basic foods that are not pre-processed. This is a huge factor in spending far more on groceries than most here in Ukraine do, despite that fact that many foods here are at least as expensive as in the West.

If you want to do a comparison some time, look at the typical grocery carts here and compare them with what you see in the West.

David

Offline Solrock

• Trips: 5-10
Cost of Living in Russia
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
After some months of dating, my russian girlfriend asked me to move to Moscow some months, so we could live together some time to see if we are compatible. I don't have a normal job, I'm somehow of a freelancer, so moving to another place is not really a problem for me. The first question is, have any of you guys did the same? Do you think it is a good move to do? In my mind seems a good idea, but it does not hurt to hear more experienced voices  :)

The second question, well, if I really want to do it and move there, then how?
A turist visa would allow me to stay there only a month, and for a work visa, well, I would need to find a job there (and I'm not very interested on this, as I already have my own kind of job that I would like to keep).
There is also business visa, I think this one allows for bigger stay than turism, but I don't know much about it  ???

Third question, how usually do you guys do this, living with other half for a while before getting married? Or people just go from dating straight to marriage? With visas and stuff it seems very difficult to live with each other without being married, and I've always heard that it is good to do so for a while, to make sure we both are really compatible on all aspects  :thumbsup:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Moving temporarily to Russia
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
If you can truly manage to work from anywhere then you are fortunate. You will probably find that your visa is the least of your problems and your girlfriend is going to have to be very patient with you as you sort out your life infrastructure.

You will likely find that your stay in Russia is still restricted even with a Business Visa:
Business visa is required in case you wish to enter Russia for business purposes. Business visa can be valid for up to 90 days and can be issued for single or double entry. Also business visa can be issued for multiple entries and can be valid for up to 1 year. Dates of validity of the visa will correspond with mentioned on your letter of invitation issued by a Russian Federal Migration Service agency or a telex from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/Business.html

Long, long ago I used to use Business Visas, the one year type still limits the total time you can stay, as you can see 90 days.

Make sure that you have a lot more money to hand than you think you will need and do not commit to apartments and stuff on the basis of your grlfriend's recommendation - she will probably miss the mark. Engage her assistance after you arrive and maybe get a place sorted online for a short term before you go there so you have a place to stay while you find a place to stay.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »
You might try to connect with Richard (rvrwind) who used to post here and elsewhere.  He and his wife Valya currently live in Calgary, Alberta, but they lived together in Tver, Russia for a few years before returning to live in Canada.  He could likely give you valuable first hand advice about living in Russia as a Westerner.

Also Phil used to live with his girlfriend Nina in Saint Petersburg, Russia but he too returned to the USA as well.  I have no idea how to contact him, but perhaps some other longterm members here could do so.

Both these two have done more or less what you are planning to do and made it work for a few years.

As to doing it while getting the sponsorship processed I spent time in Ukraine for a total of 6 months during our first 2 years of meeting and later marriage until my wife was able to move to Canada.  So hope this also helps in your our adventure too.  Wes.

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:45 AM »
One of the forum users named "Bill" lived or lives in Moscow and perhaps he can shed light for you on this. You might also want to ask "Jooky, Chivo," and some of the others who have and are doing it as well.

Offline Solrock

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 04:36:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies, Ill try to contact one of thoses :)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 09:57:20 AM »
After some months of dating, my russian girlfriend asked me to move to Moscow some months, so we could live together some time to see if we are compatible. I don't have a normal job, I'm somehow of a freelancer, so moving to another place is not really a problem for me. The first question is, have any of you guys did the same? Do you think it is a good move to do? In my mind seems a good idea, but it does not hurt to hear more experienced voices  :)
Yes to the first question.

It depends on your idea of a good move or not.  For me it most certainly was.

The second question, well, if I really want to do it and move there, then how?
A turist visa would allow me to stay there only a month, and for a work visa, well, I would need to find a job there (and I'm not very interested on this, as I already have my own kind of job that I would like to keep).
There is also business visa, I think this one allows for bigger stay than turism, but I don't know much about it  ???
There are ways around the visa issue (don't believe everything you read on this forum from others who have never done it long term or what you read on any website, and I mean any website).

If you're serious and want more info, contact me privately. 

Third question, how usually do you guys do this, living with other half for a while before getting married? Or people just go from dating straight to marriage? With visas and stuff it seems very difficult to live with each other without being married, and I've always heard that it is good to do so for a while, to make sure we both are really compatible on all aspects  :thumbsup:
The main question is how much do you love your lady? Because if you have half your shit together, you'll have many opportunities to be with other women.

Another thing you need to think about is the speed in which many relationships progress to marriage here; which is very fast. I'm talking 3-6 months fast. If you're not prepared to move on this in this time frame and she is, you'll have problems.

You'll need a certain mindset to live in Moscow too. It's not for everyone, but I, all things considered, love it. It's an incredible city.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.